The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2018, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look Before You Leap ...

Friday night. Boys.

I arrive early to observe the junior varsity officials. Visitor junior varsity players are wearing red road jerseys. The entire Visitor coaching staff is wearing matching red polo shirts. I observe a Visitor junior varsity player playing while wearing a black long sleeve undershirt under his red road jersey. I mention this to the junior varsity officials at their halftime intermission, noting that, to be fair, the player in question was wearing a warmup shirt over his jersey during the pregame warmups.

Now my varsity game. During the pregame introductions, I note a Visitor starter wearing a black long sleeve undershirt under his road jersey. I tell him that he can’t play with an illegal undershirt, that the only legal color is red to match his road jersey. He comments that he has worn the black undershirt during road games all season. As the starters are gathering for the jump ball to start the game, I note that the same player is still wearing the black long sleeve undershirt. I explain to the head coach that his starting player can’t play with an illegal undershirt, that the only legal color is red to match his road jersey, emphasizing my point by pointing to the head coach's red polo shirt.

Then I have an epiphany, realizing that, while the Visitor varsity road jerseys have a lot of red, they are predominately black (unlike the Visitor junior varsity predominately red road jerseys).

Embarrassed, I apologize to the head coach, and to the starting player, and we start the game.

Second period. Out of bounds. Home ball. Timeout requested, and granted. After the timeout, a (different) Visitor player asks if the ball goes to, “White, or red?”.

Some vindication. Not a lot, but some
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 13, 2018, 01:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I guess that's you above. Was this guy your partner?

Old Sat Jan 13, 2018, 03:29pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I mention this to the junior varsity officials at their halftime intermission, noting that, to be fair, the player in question was wearing a warmup shirt over his jersey during the pregame warmups.
Happens frequently. Sometimes, we don't know there's a problem until they remove their warmups.

Had one yesterday. About to toss the ball... "white this way... blue that wa....", (sigh) the blue jumper had a black undershirt.

"Coach, I need a sub..." No objections, but it's far less annoying to catch in pre-game.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2018, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give An Inch, Take A Mile ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Sometimes, we don't know there's a problem until they remove their warmups.
Earlier this week, during player introductions, my partner and I noted that a visiting starting player wearing a very dark purple road jersey was wearing a black undershirt, with extremely short sleeves. We both decided to let it go but to mention to the player and coach that said player should get a purple undershirt.

In the second period a visiting substitute takes off his warmup jacket and heads to the table to enter the game. He's wearing a long sleeve black undershirt under his dark purple jersey, the long sleeve black undershirt being much more noticeable than the starter wearing an extremely short sleeve black undershirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
... it's far less annoying to catch in pre-game.
Agree.

Dark Purple, Black; Potato, Potahto; Tomato, Tomahto. We let him enter.

"No good deed goes unpunished." (Oscar Wilde, Irish playwright, poet and author)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 01:56pm.