The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow ?

OK, the ball is supposed to go to the BLUE team on an alternating possession throw in. The official screws up, hands the ball to the white team who throws it in and ends the throw in. The arrow is then switched to the WHITE team upon completion of that throw in. After the 1st dead ball occurs, the officials realize their mistake. Does the arrow stay with the WHITE team or go back to BLUE?
Also, can you stop the game during Live play if you realize that the wrong team has the ball, or do you have to wait for a dead ball?
Thanks
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
OK, the ball is supposed to go to the BLUE team on an alternating possession throw in. The official screws up, hands the ball to the white team who throws it in and ends the throw in. The arrow is then switched to the WHITE team upon completion of that throw in. After the 1st dead ball occurs, the officials realize their mistake. Does the arrow stay with the WHITE team or go back to BLUE?
Also, can you stop the game during Live play if you realize that the wrong team has the ball, or do you have to wait for a dead ball?
Thanks
Keep the arrow with white. In equity, it would be unfair to give it to blue twice. I suppose we have the authority to stop the game at any time, but once the ball is live, it's too late to fix. So if you did stop play, you would need to give it back to the team in control, POI.

EDIT: I misread this, the arrow should stay with Blue, so that White doesn't get 2 throw-ins back-to-back

Last edited by frezer11; Thu Jan 11, 2018 at 10:08pm.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Keep the arrow with white. In equity, it would be unfair to give it to blue twice. I suppose we have the authority to stop the game at any time, but once the ball is live, it's too late to fix. So if you did stop play, you would need to give it back to the team in control, POI.
Why would white get two AP's in a row? If I am understanding the OP, should have been blue, given to white. The next arrow should be blue IMO.

While this is not one of the 5 correctable errors, if I have that "oh crap" moment within a short duration of the ball being put into play and in the right scenario I might be tempted to kill the clock and get it right.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Why would white get two AP's in a row? If I am understanding the OP, should have been blue, given to white. The next arrow should be blue IMO.

While this is not one of the 5 correctable errors, if I have that "oh crap" moment within a short duration of the ball being put into play and in the right scenario I might be tempted to kill the clock and get it right.
You're right, I misread that.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 12:01am
beware big brother

Quote:
It is always a wise choice to make up your own rules as you go along.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 01:03am
Administrator

And remember, when the Blue HC complains about your screw up, just remind him that he is going to get two of the next three AP Arrows.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pack,

So what if the coach knows the rule ???? Are you going to
BS him or tell him the truth that you screwed up and move on...I can't stop play on this on....I'm all for "managing" games but to set a rule aside because we screwed up is
just wrong......IMO
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Or White will conveniently commit a traveling violation if I realize the issue quick enough. Then go fix the arrow.

Chris
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 08:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
Or White will conveniently commit a traveling violation if I realize the issue quick enough. Then go fix the arrow.
So you'll take away the possession from White and give it to Blue, and then on top of that Blue will have the next AP arrow. That's a lot of overcompensation.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
Thanks
You must realize it before the throw-in ends. And, blue will get the next AP throw-in (if the error is not recognized in time).
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Pack,

So what if the coach knows the rule ???? Are you going to
BS him or tell him the truth that you screwed up and move on...I can't stop play on this on....I'm all for "managing" games but to set a rule aside because we screwed up is
just wrong......IMO
What are you going to tell the other coach? You're wrong either way. I wouldn't do it 20 seconds into the next play. And to your point, it does come down to managing games.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 10:28am

"Coach it was our mistake and it is too late to fix it. You will get the next AP possession." Once we start making up our own rules and interpretations, we are headed down a bad path. As for the quick travel scenario and the like, that is not game management. That is game manipulation. Mistakes happen and when they do, we have to own it and try to make it the only one that happens.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

On a related note, how many of you put something in your pocket to keep track on your own ? I’ve never really tried this, I try to ensure to get eyes on the arrow whenever we have a AP situation. I’ve had a number of partners who are using their spare whistle for step counter for this purpose.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a related note, how many of you put something in your pocket to keep track on your own ? I’ve never really tried this, I try to ensure to get eyes on the arrow whenever we have a AP situation. I’ve had a number of partners who are using their spare whistle for step counter for this purpose.
BillyMac will tell you it's all-but-required in CT.

I can see doing it if you are a newer official (especially if you work 5 Frosh girls games on a Saturday where you will have dozens of held balls). But, if you are only working a V game or two in a day, you should be able to remember who got the tip and each held ball in the game. At that level, I think it looks bad to see the switch.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2018, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
BillyMac will tell you it's all-but-required in CT.

I can see doing it if you are a newer official (especially if you work 5 Frosh girls games on a Saturday where you will have dozens of held balls). But, if you are only working a V game or two in a day, you should be able to remember who got the tip and each held ball in the game. At that level, I think it looks bad to see the switch.
I found a great tip on this forum to avoid having to switch whistles from pockets, or rubber bands on your wrist. Use the button on your back pocket - open or closed.