The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Made basket/throw in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103299-made-basket-throw.html)

BigCat Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25am

Made basket/throw in

A1 makes a basket. B1 gets both feet out of bounds. Reaches to grab a bouncing ball(bouncing waste high) in front of him. When he tries to grab it he knocks it into court right to A1 who is 3 feet away. B1 never "possessed" the ball. Tried to but he was looking more where he was going to pass it. Kids freeze for a moment. What would you do at that moment? Blow whistle and give it back to B1 or nothing....or something else.

crosscountry55 Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06pm

I would probably blow it dead and reset, kind of like you would if you made a crappy bounce to a thrower who then muffed it. Innocent mishap.

The would-be thrower never truly had disposal. I’d be good with a reset here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:13pm

Disposal ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1013871)
The would-be thrower never truly had disposal.

4-4-7-d: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is: Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

Was the count started? That's the key.

Of course, this brings us back to the circular argument.

When is the ball at the disposal of the player? When the official starts his count.

When does the official start his count? When the ball is at the disposal of the player.

Go figure.

Camron Rust Sun Dec 31, 2017 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1013862)
A1 makes a basket. B1 gets both feet out of bounds. Reaches to grab a bouncing ball(bouncing waste high) in front of him. When he tries to grab it he knocks it into court right to A1 who is 3 feet away. B1 never "possessed" the ball. Tried to but he was looking more where he was going to pass it. Kids freeze for a moment. What would you do at that moment? Blow whistle and give it back to B1 or nothing....or something else.

If A1 was trying to grab the ball, that wouldn't be a throwin. Blow the whistle and restart. If A1 was trying to bat the ball to a teammate but failed, I'd count that as a throwin...play on.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 31, 2017 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1013875)
If A1 was trying to grab the ball, that wouldn't be a throwin. Blow the whistle and restart. If A1 was trying to bat the ball to a teammate but failed, I'd count that as a throwin...play on.

Well said Camron, and you only used two sentences, LOL!

MTD, Sr.

BigCat Sun Dec 31, 2017 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1013875)

Suppose A1 is holding the ball and it slips out of his hands onto the Court. Not yet trying to pass to a teammate. You've started your count already. That isn't a "pass" into Court either. What would you do? Thx

bob jenkins Sun Dec 31, 2017 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1013881)
Suppose A1 is holding the ball and it slips out of his hands onto the Court. Not yet trying to pass to a teammate. You've started your count already. That isn't a "pass" into Court either. What would you do? Thx

Play on. But, this is a different scenario from the OP.

Camron Rust Sun Dec 31, 2017 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1013881)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1013882)

Agree. If A1 releases the ball and it goes into the court, it is a throw-in, maybe a bad one, but a throw-in.

BigCat Sun Dec 31, 2017 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1013882)

Yes, he does possess it in this second example. Why does that matter under rules? In the original OP the player is completely out of bounds. Count started, player touches ball giving it OB status, fumbles it 3 feet forward into Court. Because he's in a hurry to throw it in to open teammate.

just another ref Sun Dec 31, 2017 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1013884)
Yes, he does possess it in this second example. Why does that matter under rules? In the original OP the player is completely out of bounds. Count started, player touches ball giving it OB status, fumbles it 3 feet forward into Court. Because he's in a hurry to throw it in to open teammate.

The key is that control by the thrower is not necessary for a legal throw-in. Therefore it's all about judging the intent of the player. If he is trying to grab the ball and fumbles it, he's entitled to go and pick it up just like any other fumble, whether he was out of bounds or not. If he has control, then fumbles, it's all on him. And lastly, if he tries to tap the ball toward a teammate and it goes astray, that's all on him, too.

BigCat Sun Dec 31, 2017 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013891)
The key is that control by the thrower is not necessary for a legal throw-in. Therefore it's all about judging the intent of the player.

Yes, I agree control is not necessary for a legal throw in. Let me ask you, if the player does possess the ball and fumbles it into the Court, would u blow it dead and give it back to him? I would not even though he wasn't intending to throw ball in. So I'm not sure how much intent plays into it. Thx

just another ref Sun Dec 31, 2017 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1013892)
Yes, I agree control is not necessary for a legal throw in. Let me ask you, if the player does possess the ball and fumbles it into the Court, would u blow it dead and give it back to him?

no

Raymond Mon Jan 01, 2018 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013872)
4-4-7-d: A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is: Available to a player after a goal and the official begins the throw-in count.

Was the count started? That's the key.

Of course, this brings us back to the circular argument.

When is the ball at the disposal of the player? When the official starts his count.

When does the official start his count? When the ball is at the disposal of the player.

Go figure.

The ball is that disposal of the thrower-in when the official judges it to be so. And when he so judges, then he begins his count. There is no circular reasoning to this.

The count is the visual indicator of the official's judgement.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Raymond Mon Jan 01, 2018 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1013884)

The original scenario you did not say the count had started.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BillyMac Mon Jan 01, 2018 02:07pm

Practical Advice ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1013918)
The ball is that disposal of the thrower-in when the official judges it to be so.

Agree in practice, but that's not what the written rule states.

Without a count, there is no disposal.