The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Coach interference during play

"Assistant coach gets tech in unusual sequence.Colorado assistant coach Kim English removes a water bottle from the court during play, gets hit in the head with the ball and receives a technical foul."

ESPN video clip needed.

Don't know what else can be done after the fact since he clearly interfered with play inbounds.

If an official is able to observe the water bottle get knocked onto the court and halt play before the coach interferes would a technical foul still be warranted or a bench warning? POI on the missed FT still has to be AP, which is annoying. Unfortunate situation to deal with.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 11:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Here you go

BING is your friend.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Dec 23, 2017 at 11:59am.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting because the official was moving to pick up the bottle too. If the ball had hit the official would it have remained in play?
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-4-4: "A ball which touches ... an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual’s location."
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 03:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Everyone did the right thing in this situation. The coach did the right thing by trying to retrieve the bottle so no one would get injured. The officials did the right thing by charging the Class B and going to the arrow.

Unfortunate for the coach, but once it hit him, even though he had good intentions, it has to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond
BING is your friend.
Bing? Really? LOL
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Also, who caused the water bottle to be out there? Have your items secured on your bench and nothing rolls onto the floor. He got in trouble, but that is his fault that he went out there. I have no issues with the administration of this T.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

If the coach or the referee gets the water bottle off in time, then no harm, no foul. But since neither did -- it's a T.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Interesting because the official was moving to pick up the bottle too. If the ball had hit the official would it have remained in play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Rule 4-4-4: "A ball which touches ... an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual’s location."
Maybe not a T (although probably something still), but surely they are going to stop play if a water bottle rolls out there in the middle of players.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2017, 12:04am
Administrator

I don't know about the rest if you, but it is my humble opinion that if I saw what the official saw I am putting air in the whistle instead of trying to get to the ball without stopping play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 24, 2017, 12:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I don't know about the rest if you, but it is my humble opinion that if I saw what the official saw I am putting air in the whistle instead of trying to get to the ball without stopping play.

MTD, Sr.
And then you would have people complaining that he gave the ball to a certain team because no one was in possession. I can imagine all the comments or suggestions of that decision. I probably would have done the same thing as I have before, but usually, no one is hit with the ball.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 24, 2017, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
While that was my initial thought, too, the ref is moving to the bottle while the FT is stil in the air. What are the odds at that moment that he can’t kick grab the bottle or kick it off the court without interrupting the game? One in a hundred? I doubt he saw the ball/play coming his way in time to stop play before it hit the coach.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2017, 04:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And then you would have people complaining that he gave the ball to a certain team because no one was in possession. I can imagine all the comments or suggestions of that decision. I probably would have done the same thing as I have before, but usually, no one is hit with the ball.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
While that was my initial thought, too, the ref is moving to the bottle while the FT is stil in the air. What are the odds at that moment that he can’t kick grab the bottle or kick it off the court without interrupting the game? One in a hundred? I doubt he saw the ball/play coming his way in time to stop play before it hit the coach.

Remember that no good deed goes unpunished.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
"Assistant coach gets tech in unusual sequence.Colorado assistant coach Kim English removes a water bottle from the court during play, gets hit in the head with the ball and receives a technical foul."

ESPN video clip needed.

Don't know what else can be done after the fact since he clearly interfered with play inbounds.

If an official is able to observe the water bottle get knocked onto the court and halt play before the coach interferes would a technical foul still be warranted or a bench warning? POI on the missed FT still has to be AP, which is annoying. Unfortunate situation to deal with.
With good intentions from the coach, is this a Class B for "illegally standing" (1 shot) or Class A (2 shots)?