The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach interference during play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103275-coach-interference-during-play.html)

Nevadaref Sat Dec 23, 2017 03:57am

Coach interference during play

"Assistant coach gets tech in unusual sequence.Colorado assistant coach Kim English removes a water bottle from the court during play, gets hit in the head with the ball and receives a technical foul."

ESPN video clip needed.

Don't know what else can be done after the fact since he clearly interfered with play inbounds.

If an official is able to observe the water bottle get knocked onto the court and halt play before the coach interferes would a technical foul still be warranted or a bench warning? POI on the missed FT still has to be AP, which is annoying. Unfortunate situation to deal with.

Raymond Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:57am

Here you go

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fyuyh8ONmM0?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" style="position:absolute;width:50%;height:50%;left :0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

BING is your friend.

Rich Ives Sat Dec 23, 2017 02:28pm

Interesting because the official was moving to pick up the bottle too. If the ball had hit the official would it have remained in play?

LRZ Sat Dec 23, 2017 02:37pm

Rule 4-4-4: "A ball which touches ... an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual’s location."

Scrapper1 Sat Dec 23, 2017 03:19pm

Everyone did the right thing in this situation. The coach did the right thing by trying to retrieve the bottle so no one would get injured. The officials did the right thing by charging the Class B and going to the arrow.

Unfortunate for the coach, but once it hit him, even though he had good intentions, it has to be addressed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond
BING is your friend.

Bing? Really? LOL

JRutledge Sat Dec 23, 2017 03:56pm

Also, who caused the water bottle to be out there? Have your items secured on your bench and nothing rolls onto the floor. He got in trouble, but that is his fault that he went out there. I have no issues with the administration of this T.

Peace

bob jenkins Sat Dec 23, 2017 04:41pm

If the coach or the referee gets the water bottle off in time, then no harm, no foul. But since neither did -- it's a T.

frezer11 Sat Dec 23, 2017 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1013579)
Interesting because the official was moving to pick up the bottle too. If the ball had hit the official would it have remained in play?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1013580)
Rule 4-4-4: "A ball which touches ... an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual’s location."

Maybe not a T (although probably something still), but surely they are going to stop play if a water bottle rolls out there in the middle of players.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:04am

I don't know about the rest if you, but it is my humble opinion that if I saw what the official saw I am putting air in the whistle instead of trying to get to the ball without stopping play.

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1013592)
I don't know about the rest if you, but it is my humble opinion that if I saw what the official saw I am putting air in the whistle instead of trying to get to the ball without stopping play.

MTD, Sr.

And then you would have people complaining that he gave the ball to a certain team because no one was in possession. I can imagine all the comments or suggestions of that decision. I probably would have done the same thing as I have before, but usually, no one is hit with the ball.

Peace

so cal lurker Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1013592)

MTD, Sr.

While that was my initial thought, too, the ref is moving to the bottle while the FT is stil in the air. What are the odds at that moment that he can’t kick grab the bottle or kick it off the court without interrupting the game? One in a hundred? I doubt he saw the ball/play coming his way in time to stop play before it hit the coach.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 24, 2017 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1013593)
And then you would have people complaining that he gave the ball to a certain team because no one was in possession. I can imagine all the comments or suggestions of that decision. I probably would have done the same thing as I have before, but usually, no one is hit with the ball.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1013613)
While that was my initial thought, too, the ref is moving to the bottle while the FT is stil in the air. What are the odds at that moment that he can’t kick grab the bottle or kick it off the court without interrupting the game? One in a hundred? I doubt he saw the ball/play coming his way in time to stop play before it hit the coach.

Remember that no good deed goes unpunished.

MTD, Sr.

NCHSAA Thu Dec 28, 2017 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1013569)
"Assistant coach gets tech in unusual sequence.Colorado assistant coach Kim English removes a water bottle from the court during play, gets hit in the head with the ball and receives a technical foul."

ESPN video clip needed.

Don't know what else can be done after the fact since he clearly interfered with play inbounds.

If an official is able to observe the water bottle get knocked onto the court and halt play before the coach interferes would a technical foul still be warranted or a bench warning? POI on the missed FT still has to be AP, which is annoying. Unfortunate situation to deal with.

With good intentions from the coach, is this a Class B for "illegally standing" (1 shot) or Class A (2 shots)?