The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Interpretation please...

Scenario,

Team A ties the game with a 2-point field goal as time expires. Team A's shooter was fouled in the act of shooting and is awarded a free throw.

The officials huddle, without the luxury of video replay, and determine to put .3 seconds back on the clock.

Team A's player makes the free throw. For some reason, the clock operator starts the clock and the game clock shows 00:00. Team A's bench rushes the floor to congratulate shooter.

The Officials huddle very briefly and determine that it should be a bench technical on Team A for leaving the bench. Let me remind you, the clock shows 00:00. Team A just had an emotional come from behind (what appeared to be a win). And celebrated when the clock showed 00:00.

Team B makes 1 of the 2 free throws to force overtime. Team A prevailed in OT so no sour grapes, just would like to know if the officials interpreted that correctly.

My thoughts are, clock said 00:00. Bring both coaches together, explain that the clock expired, therefore no technical. Inform clock operator of the rules of the game. Put .3 back on the clock and resume the game.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

I would assume that there are players on the FT lane just like any FT. So if players rush the court just after an FT with time on it, why would you not give a T for players rushing the court? They basically interrupted play at that time.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 11:37am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would assume that there are players on the FT lane just like any FT. So if players rush the court just after an FT with time on it, why would you not give a T for players rushing the court? They basically interrupted play at that time.

Peace
The OP says the clock read zeroes when the players rushed the court. They did not rush the court with time on the clock.

The way I see it the players rushed the court due to the timer's error of starting the clock and it hitting zeroes. I don't think it's their job to go "wait, the clock shouldn't have started, so we shouldn't rush the court to celebrate."

I'm going to handle it like hilltoppanther said he would, except for making sure the coaches understand the clock shouldn't have started when it did along with the clock operator.

BTW, I'm assuming there was .3 seconds on the clock after Team B made 1 of 2 FTs, but they didn't make a basket when they tried inbounding the ball and making a quick basket.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
The OP says the clock read zeroes when the players rushed the court. They did not rush the court with time on the clock.
Yes, when the clock should not have run. Kind of basic here.

Quote:
The way I see it the players rushed the court due to the timer's error of starting the clock and it hitting zeroes. I don't think it's their job to go "wait, the clock shouldn't have started, so we shouldn't rush the court to celebrate."
But players and coaches should also know better. The clock does not run out because a FT was made. Kind of basic stuff honestly.

Quote:
I'm going to handle it like hilltoppanther said he would, except for making sure the coaches understand the clock shouldn't have started when it did along with the clock operator.

BTW, I'm assuming there was .3 seconds on the clock after Team B made 1 of 2 FTs, but they didn't make a basket when they tried inbounding the ball and making a quick basket.
That is fine, but they are not absolved from knowing the rules on this situation either. Not saying that is the only option, but the officials have the right to give a T in this situation.

I will give an example of something that actually happened to me.

I had a situation over 10 years ago where a quick steal and dunk with seconds that did not end the game had the team that took the lead rushed the court. The clock eventually ran out, but before the clock had run out the players were all over the court. We issued a technical foul to mainly one player that met his teammate at the lane after the dunk. This allowed the opponent to take two FTs which sent the game into overtime and the opponent actually won the game. The coach did not say a word to us or even protest. It was obvious what had happened.

So just to say, "the clock had zeros" is not enough for me when anyone that watches basketball knows the game does not end on a FT with time left in the game. That gave them an advantage to set up the defense for the other team and then win the game for sure.

My point is that this could be done either way and I would see both sides. But if someone is asking for an interpretation, then the ruling is a technical foul. What you do based on other considerations is up to you.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Unless there was an obvious timing error, the officials should not have put the .3 on the clock
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Unless there was an obvious timing error, the officials should not have put the .3 on the clock
I think if you have a foul on the play before the horn goes off, I think you should put time on the clock. I guess I would get it if you want to use the language of the rule to not put time on the clock, but to me putting time back on adds credibility to the call.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 01:17pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Yes, when the clock should not have run. Kind of basic here.

But players and coaches should also know better. The clock does not run out because a FT was made. Kind of basic stuff honestly.

That is fine, but they are not absolved from knowing the rules on this situation either. Not saying that is the only option, but the officials have the right to give a T in this situation.

I will give an example of something that actually happened to me.

I had a situation over 10 years ago where a quick steal and dunk with seconds that did not end the game had the team that took the lead rushed the court. The clock eventually ran out, but before the clock had run out the players were all over the court. We issued a technical foul to mainly one player that met his teammate at the lane after the dunk. This allowed the opponent to take two FTs which sent the game into overtime and the opponent actually won the game. The coach did not say a word to us or even protest. It was obvious what had happened.

So just to say, "the clock had zeros" is not enough for me when anyone that watches basketball knows the game does not end on a FT with time left in the game. That gave them an advantage to set up the defense for the other team and then win the game for sure.

My point is that this could be done either way and I would see both sides. But if someone is asking for an interpretation, then the ruling is a technical foul. What you do based on other considerations is up to you.

Peace
That's fine. You have rules to back you up in either situation. Maybe you had to be there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That's fine. You have rules to back you up in either situation. Maybe you had to be there.

You must know the rules in order to bend them. I can see a supervisor saying, "They should know the rule." Because if you do not give a T in this situation, then the other coach has a legitimate beef. Players and coaches have to know better about when the game is over. So they never rush the court there is no issue.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 01:40pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
You must know the rules in order to bend them. I can see a supervisor saying, "They should know the rule." Because if you do not give a T in this situation, then the other coach has a legitimate beef. Players and coaches have to know better about when the game is over. So they never rush the court there is no issue.

Peace
But I can tell the coach or assigner that the players reacted to the timer's mistake, and weren't entirely at fault.

Should they know better, like you said? Yes.

Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But I can tell the coach or assigner that the players reacted to the timer's mistake, and weren't entirely at fault.

Should they know better, like you said? Yes.
The question I have mostly, did they come out when the horn was clearly sounded, or did they come off the bench before the game was clearly over? If the latter is the case, I am OK with a T. But this is a HTBT situation.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 02:26pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
The question I have mostly, did they come out when the horn was clearly sounded, or did they come off the bench before the game was clearly over? If the latter is the case, I am OK with a T. But this is a HTBT situation.

Peace
Absolutely