The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I got travel? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103239-i-got-travel.html)

Frankienova Fri Dec 15, 2017 07:53am

I got travel?

A1 is dribbling in the front court and being closely guarded by B1. The official has a visible count. A1 ends his/her dribble and the official starts a new closely guarded count. Coach of Team A screams, “He is counting!” A1 throws the ball off of B1's stationary leg, A1 catches it, and starts to dribble. What do you have?

AremRed Fri Dec 15, 2017 07:58am

Nothing, play on. Smart play by offensive player.

deecee Fri Dec 15, 2017 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankienova (Post 1012971)
A1 is dribbling in the front court and being closely guarded by B1. The official has a visible count. A1 ends his/her dribble and the official starts a new closely guarded count. Coach of Team A screams, “He is counting!” A1 throws the ball off of B1's stationary leg, A1 catches it, and starts to dribble. What do you have?

What constitutes a travel? Or in this case travel would be the wrong term.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:43am

Remember that a travel requires moving a foot while holding the ball (with one exception). Did that happen? If not, then it can't be a travel.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:47pm

so the followup question for the OP is -- do you have an illegal dribble?

Frankienova Fri Dec 15, 2017 01:11pm

opps

I am sorry i meant double dribble OR "ILLEGAL DRIBBLE' They want it referred to as

Adam Fri Dec 15, 2017 01:14pm

So then if you follow the rules, why would this be illegal?

Frankienova Fri Dec 15, 2017 01:44pm

my thought is if you bobble the ball after dribbling and stop your dribble can you start up your dribble? no change of possession so how can you restart your dribble by an intentional throw of the opponents leg ?

SNIPERBBB Fri Dec 15, 2017 01:55pm

9.5.3 SITUATION:

A1 is dribbling in backcourt and ends the dribble, but defensive pressure prevents a pass to A2. A1 then passes the ball so it touches B1. A1 recovers the loose ball in backcourt and dribbles again.

RULING: No violation. When A1's pass was touched by, or touched, another player, he/she may start a new dribble. The 10-second backcourt count continues

deecee Fri Dec 15, 2017 05:16pm

a bobble and an intentional act are 2 different things. By your logic if I pass to a teammate and they pass the ball back to me I cannot dribble because there hasn't been change in possession. Although I know you meant "personal" possession versus team, terminology is important.

BillyMac Fri Dec 15, 2017 06:37pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

9-5 Illegal Dribble: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

BillyMac Fri Dec 15, 2017 07:55pm

Twist And Shout (The Beatles, 1963) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013011)
9-5 Illegal Dribble: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

A little twist to make it more interesting. Something that I've never seen happen, and probably never will see it happen, but it can.

A1 dribbles and unexpectedly, for whatever reason (sees his girlfriend in the stands), ends his dribble. A2 runs toward A1 and touches the ball. A1 starts to dribble. You make the call.

Stat-Man Fri Dec 15, 2017 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013014)
A little twist to make it more interesting. Something that I've never seen happen, and probably never will see it happen, but it can.

A1 dribbles and unexpectedly, for whatever reason (sees his girlfriend in the stands), ends is dribble. A2 runs toward A1 and touches the ball. A1 starts to dribble. You make the call.

Applying Rule 9-5:
  1. Not a try for a field goal,
  2. Not a touch by an opponent,
  3. Not a pass or fumble that has touched, or has been touched by, another player.
Illegal (double) dribble.

LRZ Sat Dec 16, 2017 09:34am

BillyMac's Hypothetical

It's not even "lost control because of."

BillyMac Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:31am

Don't Hold Your Breath ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 1013019)
Illegal (double) dribble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1013031)
It's not even "lost control because of."

Exactly as I would rule the first time that I see it.