The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I got travel? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103239-i-got-travel.html)

Raymond Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013036)
Exactly as I would rule the first time that I see it.

Why even bring up the question when you already posted the rule that said it had to be a touch by an opponent?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Dec 16, 2017 03:18pm

Details Matter ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1013040)
Why even bring up the question when you already posted the rule that said it had to be a touch by an opponent?

While a simple touch by an opponent would allow a new dribble, the same touch by a teammate would not allow a new dribble; it would have to be a pass or fumble that was touched by a teammate.

Raymond Sat Dec 16, 2017 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013057)
While a simple touch by an opponent would allow a new dribble, the same touch by a teammate would not allow a new dribble; it would have to be a pass or fumble that was touched by a teammate.

Exactly, and the rule you posted said it had to be a touch by an opponent.

just another ref Sat Dec 16, 2017 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013057)

If a player is holding the ball and it is touched by the opponent, are you saying that alone means he can start a new dribble?

BillyMac Sat Dec 16, 2017 06:21pm

Illegal Dribble ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013067)
If a player is holding the ball and it is touched by the opponent, are you saying that alone means he can start a new dribble?

By the written rule, yes I am.

9-5 Illegal Dribble: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

But I'm open to other interpretations (this is why I posted this situation).

just another ref Sat Dec 16, 2017 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1013082)
By the written rule, yes I am.

9-5 Illegal Dribble: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

But I'm open to other interpretations (this is why I posted this situation).

:)

Raymond Sat Dec 16, 2017 09:04pm

It doesn't say a mere touch. It says "after he/she has lost control because of:.. a touch by an opponent"

So no, an offendive teammate cannot just come over and slap the ball out of your hand so you can dribble again.

BillyMac Sun Dec 17, 2017 06:26am

Reading Is Fundamental ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013095)
:)

I had it right, then I had it wrong. A case of paying more attention to the articles than to the introductory clause. Thanks for the correction.