The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Bench Conduct Warning

The new rule added for this season provides for a warning to be issued for certain conduct by the head coach or bench personnel. In our area, not a lot was given to us about the consequences of issuing the warning. In looking at the 2017-2018 interpretations that were recently sent out, it appears as if the coach loses his box privileges if a warning is issued. Is that how the rest of you read this rule/interpretation?
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 10:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaching Box ...

No. The coaching box privilege remains intact after a written warning for unsporting behavior by the head coach, or bench personnel.

2017-18 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 13: The head coach of Team A is upset that the foul count against his team is 7 to 2. He voices his opinion in an unsporting manner to the contest official. RULING: The official should stop play if it is not a break situation with a potential scoring opportunity and give the coach an official warning by notifying the scorekeeper and then letting the coach know that he has been warned. The scorekeeper should make note of the warning in the scorebook. This situation does not have to be given a warning; the coach could be issued a technical immediately. (4-48)

SITUATION 15: During the second quarter, the head coach is off the bench expressing his disapproval of several calls made. As the team brings the ball down the floor into the frontcourt, the trail official stops play to issue a warning. RULING: The official is correct in issuing a warning to the coach for the complaints. The scorekeeper is notified, as well as the coach, of the warning. Another warning cannot be given. (4-48)

And a written warning will not increase the coach's insurance premiums. Am I right Mark Padgett?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 10, 2017 at 10:54am.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

coaching box. . .

Billy, if that is the case, then what am I missing in this interp:

2017-18 NFHS Basketball Case Book Alteration – 10.5.1 SITUATION B: At halftime, as the teams, coaches and officials are making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member verbally abuses one of the officials. RULING: The official must decide if the offense is major. Under 4-48, if not deemed to be major and neither a warning nor technical has been charged (direct or indirect) to the head coach, the bench personnel could be issued a warning. If a warning is issued, this would be reported to both teams, recorded in the scorebook, and the head coach would lose coaching-box privileges.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Geez, that interpretation is wrong.

Let's just get rid of the seatbelt rule so we don't have to worry about the NFHS screwing up these rulings.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Question About The New Warning Rule ...

2017-18 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 14: During a live ball, the assistant coach is off the bench and out of the coaching box giving instructions to a player on the court. RULING: The official should rule a technical on the assistant coach for being off the bench and out of the coaching box. (4-48)

Why is this a technical foul and not a written warning?

The new rule regarding bench personnel states that the written warning applies to 10-5, Articles 1 a,b,d,e,f; Article 2; and Article 4.

Article 1a: Bench personnel shall not disrespectfully address an official.
Article 1b: Bench personnel shall not attempt to influence an official's decision.
Article 1d: Bench personnel shall not disrespectfully address, bait, or taunt an opponent.
Article 1e: Bench personnel shall not object to an official's decision by rising for the bench and using gestures.
Article 1f: Bench personnel shall not incite undesirable crown reactions.
Article 2: Bench personnel shall not enter the court unless by permission of an official to tend to an inured payer.
Article 4: Bench personnel shall not stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped, and must remain seated (with exceptions: head coach, team member reports to table, timeout and intermissions, spontaneously react to outstanding play or acknowledge replaced players).

Is it because the assistant coach (bench personnel) is out of the coaching box, which probably means that he's in front of the scorer's table? If the assistant coach had just been standing in front of the team bench, this would just be a written warning? Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can The NFHS Be Wrong (Again) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
2017-18 NFHS Basketball Case Book Alteration – 10.5.1 SITUATION B: At halftime, as the teams, coaches and officials are making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member verbally abuses one of the officials. RULING: The official must decide if the offense is major. Under 4-48, if not deemed to be major and neither a warning nor technical has been charged (direct or indirect) to the head coach, the bench personnel could be issued a warning. If a warning is issued, this would be reported to both teams, recorded in the scorebook, and the head coach would lose coaching-box privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... that interpretation is wrong.
Agree.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 10, 2017 at 11:26am.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys. Another case of a new rule being as clear as mud.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Geez, that interpretation is wrong.

Let's just get rid of the seatbelt rule so we don't have to worry about the NFHS screwing up these rulings.

Yes. We noted that here when the interps came out. I;m a little disappointed that FED didn't change the wording of the interp as posted.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The new rule added for this season provides for a warning to be issued for certain conduct by the head coach or bench personnel. In our area, not a lot was given to us about the consequences of issuing the warning. In looking at the 2017-2018 interpretations that were recently sent out, it appears as if the coach loses his box privileges if a warning is issued. Is that how the rest of you read this rule/interpretation?
Minnesota used it as an experiment for the past couple of years. It is a pretty good tool if used correctly. I personally like to use it when the ball is alive so I can kill the play, warn the coach and them have the scorer record it in the official book.

Used it Friday on a first year coach who apparently didn't get the memo about proper behavior in the coaching box. He was just fine after the warning.

Our thing is once an official warning is given, the next instance of misbehavior is a technical. No more warnings. The coach does not lose his coaching box if a warning is given. Only if a direct or indirect technical is issued.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Happy that NY state doesn't use "seatbelts" for coaches.

The warning is just a way for crews to get on the "same" page. Unfortunately to many officials, at least in my area, T up coaches. However if I now working with one of these guys warn a coach and I inform the book and yell across the court that "Coach A has been warned" if my partner fails to follow that up with coach A the next time he acts like a jerk he's on an island of one. The best part is that it's there for everyone to see.

It also forces some form of communication with officials and coaches. Generally officials do not communicate enough with coaches. Now if you warn them you have set a boundary that before most coaches would be completely unclear as to what that boundary may be for certain guys.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 08:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Fix ...

Quote:
I just received this (below) in an email from IAABO International. It was under the heading "NFHS". I'm not sure if IAABO unilaterally fixed it (they've been known to do that), or if the "fix" came from the NFHS:

2017-18 NFHS Basketball Case Book Alteration – 10.5.1 SITUATION B: At halftime, as the teams, coaches and officials are making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member verbally abuses one of the officials. RULING: The official must decide if the offense is major. Under 4-48, if not deemed to be major and neither a warning nor technical has been charged (direct or indirect) to the head coach, the bench personnel could be issued a warning. If a warning is ruled, this would be reported to both teams and recorded in the scorebook. If the official deems the offense to be major then a technical foul should be charged to the team member and indirectly to the head coach who loses coaching box privileges. The third quarter should begin with the opposing team shooting two free throws and being awarded the ball at the division line for a throw-in.

Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The rules interps on the NFHS site still contain the error.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 10:05am

From an email sent by an NFHS Rules Committee member to the powers that be at NFHS. He has yet to receive a response or even a hint of "let's talk about it." He is also one of IAABO's four regional interpreters.:

"I don't really believe the NFHS intent is to consider that verbal abuse, in the way we are presented views of verbal abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, domestic abuse, ... meant to use the words "verbal abuse" and suggest that we substitute "inappropriate conversation," or "disrespectfully addresses an official in a manner judged to be a non-major offense" and re-issue. As it stands, the interpretation suggests that "verbal abuse" can be dealt with through a warning and I think we all agree that should not be the case."
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Was it a new rule, or just a POE? The warning procedure has been in place my whole (short) career. I've seen several officials in my area use it the past few years.

I used it in the first quarter of one of my early-season games and it worked perfectly--shut the coach right up.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Was it a new rule, or just a POE? The warning procedure has been in place my whole (short) career. I've seen several officials in my area use it the past few years.

I used it in the first quarter of one of my early-season games and it worked perfectly--shut the coach right up.
It is a new rule. You were not able (unless your state adopted this procedure) to put the warning in the book.

I used it last night and resulted in an ejection. Then again the coach was not very competent and could not understand why we called more than 20 fouls (both teams in the two shot bonus) in the first half and nearly more than 20 fouls in the second half, but he was down by nearly 40. Long story short, the losing team lost by 39 while forfeiting with nearly 3 minutes left in the game. Good times.

Peace