The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Fight in NCAAW-D3 game

Just wondering how the crew did here - for the education of us all! (especially those of us who have never had to deal with a "brawl")

https://youtu.be/6C7yXolNZ8k
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 09:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Nobody even looked at the benches.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

no antennas

30 seconds left in a 9 point game... there HAS to be situational awareness among the crew - without knowing what's happened in the first 39:30 we cannot assume, but if there wasn't any tension before this point, I'd be shocked.

The 'C' needs to be more proactive before things get out of control.

But the highlight for me is the horn after the one team has left the court!
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Easier to count who's still in the game than who's ejected
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

This one is definitely on the C, I can see that the T is distracted by whatever is going on at the throw in spot, but the C should be watching this action and come in to clean it up. There were several T worthy shoves in there before the meylay. Can't see what the L is doing, but he could probably have helped in this too. And if you notice, the girl in white who is down on the block is the match on this fire. She runs up on one of the other girls and really gets things going. If the C could have come in and kept it from getting to that point the whole crisis is avoided.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 10:14am
AremRed

The #1 cause of fights escalating is the benches coming onto the court. We cannot rely on HS and small college assistants doing their job and keeping their bench under control, which is why I pregame that two guys closest to the benches should head there immediately. At the D1 and NBA level, 1) the assistants are better and 2) they have replay. Not a luxury we have at the lower level.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

We also do not know the media status of this game. Some D3 games have video they can review. If that is the case here, it is possible that they could have looked at a monitor to review the play for who is responsible. It is possible that the officials were not worried about certain things as they might be able to look at it and determine who is still in the game along with what they observed. I am not going to rip them too much without that nugget of fact.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 02:30pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Any video of the second round in the parking lot?

N.J. college basketball coach suspended after post-game brawl | NJ.com
Old Fri Dec 22, 2017, 04:46pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I've had players jostle for throw-in positions in games I've officiated. I immediately close in to to address it and try to prevent something like this from happening. This is one example why the NFHS made dead ball officiating a POE a few years ago. I'd think NCAA expects its officials to remain alert on dead balls as well.

As for the the video, I can't help wondering what the C was doing or observing that she didn't react until the jostling turned into pushing and shoving. I agree with baller99 that the L may have been able to come in and address this when the C missed it. While I'm unfamiliar with NCAA mechanics, he only had two players in his area, leading me to think he could have extended his coverage and seen what was going on and done something, even if was to make sure the two players in his area didn't participate in the fight.

While nobody appeared to watch the benches, and the camera angle isn't conducive for seeing how many people from each bench left the area, my hypothesis is that each team would have played the final seconds with less than five players if the game could continue by rule.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Dec 22, 2017 at 04:48pm.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 05:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
As for the the video, I can't help wondering what the C was doing or observing that she didn't react until the jostling turned into pushing and shoving. I agree with baller99 that the L may have been able to come in and address this when the C missed it. While I'm unfamiliar with NCAA mechanics, he only had two players in his area, leading me to think he could have extended his coverage and seen what was going on and done something, even if was to make sure the two players in his area didn't participate in the fight.
I was actually kind of shocked after looking at the video as to how disengaged the officials were. It was like they were not even looking. All that had to be done was a "whistle" a couple of times and then you would have stopped everything, then go to the players and tell them "Stop pushing" or "You know this could be really bad for you if this continues?" I bet then they stop pushing or if they continue, they were warned. And then you likely have nothing else goes on at least during this sequence. Stuff like this happens often during the season and it usually stops if you just stop everything and talk to the players. Even if it is just two players during a throw-in when they start putting their hands on each other.

I wonder in situations like this do the officials have that kind of game experience to know when to stop something so simple. Just because it is college ball, does not mean you know how to deal with situations.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 23, 2017, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Zebras And Ostriches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... All that had to be done was a "whistle" a couple of times and then you would have stopped everything, then go to the players and tell them "Stop pushing"
Agree 100%. Address, don't ignore.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)