The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:55pm
M.A.S.H.

The thread titled "Ever eject pre-toss" made me think of this, pre-game fight breaks out. However, the officials aren't on the floor yet. I would guess that someone would come get them, however in the mean time who gets the players who are fighting so that they proper penalites are given? The scorer's table????

[Edited by tjones1 on Jun 29th, 2005 at 04:58 PM]
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
The thread titled "Ever eject pre-toss" made me think of this, pre-game fight breaks out. However, the officials aren't on the floor yet. I would guess that someone would come get them, however in the mean time who gets the players who are fighting so that they proper penalites are given? The scorer's table????

Who cares?

Ain't our problem. And I don't think we would have any authority to do anything anyway post-partum. I can't think of any rule that would allow us to do anything about something that occurred before our jurisdiction started- or after it ended.

It would be up to their league to hand out any penalties,etc., I imagine.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:22pm
M.A.S.H.

Well yes... but who else has the power to eject players?
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Only people I could think of are school administrators/staff, and coaching personnel. They have jurisdiction over the event and facilities until officials take the floor. I don't think the officials could do anything about it after the fact, but the staff has the right to discipline (detention, suspension, expulsion) students involved in any sort of fracas on school grounds.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Remember that the scorer's table is part of your crew.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well yes... but who else has the power to eject players?
From an official's standpoint, all we worry about is the names that get put in the book pre-game. They are our problem- but they aren't our problem until we walk out on the floor. Anything to do with what names actually do go in the book has got nuthin' to do with the officials at all. We can only penalize acts that happen during our jurisdiction. The players could have been in a brawl at lunch and we still wouldn't have the ability to do anything about that. That's the way it should be too. Their behavior outside of our jurisdiction just isn't our responsibility.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Remember that the scorer's table is part of your crew.
Not until we walk out on the floor they're not. They don't come under our jurisdiction until then either.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
T,

I agree that we work with the scorer's table during our jurisdiction, but like JR said, only during our jurisdiction.

Most high school games I've done, the scorer's table is manned by high school students from the home school that get emotionally tied up into the game because of friendships, etc. So anything that they would provide, I would have to take their words with a grain of salt.

Since you're in Illinois, if you ever get the opportunity to work at Providence (New Lenox), wait till you get a load of the old guy that works the table there. He uses an air horn to announce the subs (instead of the WORKING buzzer on the scoreboard), and the looks on the visiting players faces the first time he does it is priceless! I can imagine him trying to break up a fight!
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Ain't our problem. And I don't think we would have any authority to do anything anyway post-partum.
You're right! At post-partum, a fight before a basketball game was the least of MY worries!
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Ain't our problem. And I don't think we would have any authority to do anything anyway post-partum.
You're right! At post-partum, a fight before a basketball game was the least of MY worries!
I like to sneak those in every now and then just to see if anyone is listening.

Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

As stated, no juristition, I'm not doing anything no matter what anyone says. I do not have the power to eject/forfeit or anything until I walk out on the floor.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones
pre-game fight breaks out. However, the officials aren't on the floor yet. I would guess that someone would come get them,
If somebody runs into the official's locker room before the game and breathlessly says, "Hey refs, there's a fight going on. You better get out there and clean it up!!", is anybody budging off of his/her chair?

Not me.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck I am with you, there is nothing that can make me come out early now!

And I am praying that it is all over by the time I get out on the floor.

And to be honest that early in the game, the whole gym could be in a fight.

Is that something you really want to come out for.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones
pre-game fight breaks out. However, the officials aren't on the floor yet. I would guess that someone would come get them,
If somebody runs into the official's locker room before the game and breathlessly says, "Hey refs, there's a fight going on. You better get out there and clean it up!!", is anybody budging off of his/her chair?

Not me.
Agreed, no reason for me to get involved or start my jurisdiction early.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, would you please come back and let me know when it's safe to come out? Oh, and we want waters at half-time.