The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 12:18am
Do not give a damn!!

UK vs. Kansas play (Video)

Here is a play I witnessed on my own. If you have any other plays in this game, let me know.

Play #1:

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Nov 15, 2017 at 12:53am.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 01:23am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Here is a play I witnessed on my own. If you have any other plays in this game, let me know.

Play #1:

Peace

I was born and raised a KU fan (Mom, Class of 1942), but I knew that was a traveling violation when I saw in in real time. He caught the ball with his left foot in contact with the floor, making it is pivot foot. He then leaped off of his pivot foot, then landing on his right foot, then jumping off his right foot. Then leaping off his right foot, landing on his left foot. Then leaping off his left foot for the dunk.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Those are rarely called. We see them all the time.

There was another more egregious travel missed in the first half. the KU big man caught the ball deep under the basket and landed on one foot followed by the other. He then faked the defender in the and proceeded to take two steps (without dribbling) to get under the UK defender who was called for a foul when he landed on the KU center. I cringed on that one. It is one thing to ignore small travels but it is quite another thing to call a foul on the other team that probably wouldn't have happened without the obvious travel.

While there were a few minor misses like that one in this game, it was generally well officiated.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

FIBA has adopted the NBA travel rule for 2017 where in these types of plays, your first step is your gather step and the next step is your pivot foot. The rationale is that this is how the game is called anyway. Good example here.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

I’m not so sure I agree that it was a well officiated game. For that level of ball, there plenty of calls that I feel shouldn’t have been missed. The 2 mentioned above were obvious as well as a missed traveling call on the Kansas big man under his basket, the blocking call on that same kid trying to block the shot on a drive by Kentucky’s player, and the phantom offensive call by Derosa on either #14 for Kentucky, then they said #25 on the other side of the floor!
Easy to officiate in front the TV though.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
I’m not so sure I agree that it was a well officiated game. For that level of ball, there plenty of calls that I feel shouldn’t have been missed. The 2 mentioned above were obvious as well as a missed traveling call on the Kansas big man under his basket, the blocking call on that same kid trying to block the shot on a drive by Kentucky’s player, and the phantom offensive call by Derosa on either #14 for Kentucky, then they said #25 on the other side of the floor!
Easy to officiate in front the TV though.
Yes, I think those were all misses, but that is about all I could some up with that were just not in the area of judgement. The rest was pretty well done and UK lost that game due to its large number of poor choices. The right team won and the few officiating misses were not a factor.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Totally agree.........and I'm a UK fan.