The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Timer reaction

There is 0.2 second left on the clock. A1 is inbounding the ball with B1 jumping up and down trying to deflect it. A1's pass is blocked by B1 hands and lands on the sideline. The time keeper did not start the clock after B1 deflected it out of bounds. It happened 2 fast. Is the game over or do we still go with 0.2 sec. on the clock?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 07:39pm
Stubborn Member

Lol. This one may cause some arguments. Some would say you can't take time off the clock since you don't have definite knowledge of how much or how little time occurred. Others will say, and be correct, that some time had to have occurred, so either take a tenth of a second off the clock or end the game.

Me? Without seeing the play it's hard to say, but I'm probably saying the play happened too fast, so no time will be taken off. Besides, I definitely don't think I'm ending the game unless I know for sure, so there's no difference between having one or two tenths of a second anyway... They're both a tap play, instead of a catch and shoot play.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA-M the game is over. By rule at least 0.3 must come off.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
This is a good rule which the NCAA recently adopted. It has been an NBA rule for years. Unfortunately, the NFHS has yet to follow suit.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2017, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is a good rule which the NCAA recently adopted. It has been an NBA rule for years. Unfortunately, the NFHS has yet to follow suit.
Agree....but until they do, the right thing to do is only take off what you know elapsed.

Remember, you don't have to be accurate or precise, just definite.

If you count like we all have playing back yard football, you have a pretty good mechanism.
One-Thou-sand-One, One-Thou-sand-Two, etc.

Each syllable is ~0.25 seconds. Get through 3, take of 0.7 or 0.8 seconds. Get to just one, take off 0.2. In the middle, split the difference. You'd be surprised how precise you can be with a simple technique.

Or, if you prefer....
One-Miss-i-ssipp-i, Two-Miss-i-ssipp-i, etc.
Where each syllable is 0.2.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Same in NCAAW.

And, there is an interp from FED that "some time, likely tenths of a second" should come off -- but it was only an annual interp and didn't make it to the case book, so ...

From 2009-10:

SITUATION 11: Team B scores a goal to take the lead by one point. A1 immediately requests and is granted a timeout with three seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Following the time-out, Team A is awarded the ball for a throw-in from anywhere along the end line. A1 passes the ball to A2, who is also outside the boundary; A2 passes the ball to A1 who is inbounds and running the length of the court. The timer mistakenly starts the clock when A2 touches A1’s pass while standing outside the boundary. An official notices the clock starting on A2’s touch (a), before A2 releases the throw-in pass to A1, (b), while A2’s throw-in pass is in flight to A1, or (c), as soon as A1 catches the throw-in pass. RULING: This is an obvious timing mistake and may be corrected. In (a) and (b), the official shall blow the whistle, stop play and direct the timer to put three seconds on the game clock. Since the throw-in had not ended, play is resumed with a Team A throw-in from anywhere along the end line. In (c), the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed. The ball is put in play nearest to where it was located when the stoppage occurred to correct the timing mistake. A “do over” is not permitted in (c), since the throw-in had ended. (4-36; 5-10-1)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Nov 07, 2017 at 08:56am.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Same in NCAAW.

And, there is an interp from FED that "some time, likely tenths of a second" should come off -- but it was only an annual interp and didn't make it to the case book, so ...
That would mean, according to some's opinion, that everything in that case no longer holds true since it is not in a current publication.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 07:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Instigator ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That would mean, according to some's opinion, that everything in that case no longer holds true since it is not in a current publication.
Camron Rust: You are a bad boy (I was thinking same thing).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)