The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Referee Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102954-new-referee-basketball.html)

BillyMac Mon Oct 02, 2017 05:40am

Here Comes Beetle Bomb ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1009544)
Imagine what you could have accomplished with those 37 years doing something.... better.

You're right. I could have spent the time at the track. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

crosscountry55 Mon Oct 02, 2017 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1009545)
You're right. I could have spent the time at the track. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

I have purchased more than a few pairs of shoes for Baby with my officiating income over the years.

Bucky...what gives? Any chance of your posts being viewed as misplaced sarcasm are rapidly fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Mon Oct 02, 2017 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1009518)
Sarcasm?

Possibly. Maybe I didn't have my meter on that day.

jTheUmp Mon Oct 02, 2017 09:52am

I've been officiating football for 11 years, basketball for 9 years, and baseball for 8 years.

Just looked at my income/expenses spreadsheet, and in that time I've got a net income of approximately $28000, which basically amounts to $2500/year AFTER expenses, mileage, income taxes (yes, I report my income to the IRS) and all that.

Could I have done something more valuable with my time? Perhaps. But how many other people have a avocation or hobby that actually gives them a positive cash flow?

bob jenkins Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1009552)
But how many other people have a avocation or hobby that actually gives them a positive cash flow?

That's the way I look at it -- a hobby that pays me money, as opposed to a hobby where I have to spend money

justacoach Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1009554)
That's the way I look at it -- a hobby that pays me money, as opposed to a hobby where I have to spend money

I always tell others that I am getting paid to exercise, which is a great outcome that far outweighs the fiscal benefits.

In addition, my involvement in officiating was a major influence on 2 of my sons who were inspired to make it their professional careers.

bucky Mon Oct 02, 2017 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1009545)

Not sure I would consider time at the track better but whateves....

bucky Mon Oct 02, 2017 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1009547)
I have purchased more than a few pairs of shoes for Baby with my officiating income over the years.

Bucky...what gives? Any chance of your posts being viewed as misplaced sarcasm are rapidly fading.

I did not mean to stir the pot. Recall that I indicated most would disagree with me. It was not sarcasm but anyone thinking of officiating, at least basketball, should strongly consider what is involved.

bucky Mon Oct 02, 2017 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 1009552)
I've been officiating football for 11 years, basketball for 9 years, and baseball for 8 years.

Just looked at my income/expenses spreadsheet, and in that time I've got a net income of approximately $28000, which basically amounts to $2500/year AFTER expenses, mileage, income taxes (yes, I report my income to the IRS) and all that.

Could I have done something more valuable with my time? Perhaps. But how many other people have a avocation or hobby that actually gives them a positive cash flow?

I would suggest digging deeper into the ledger. Most, around me anyway, do not report officiating income for tax purposes. Indeed positive cash flow but...at what actual expense. There is a looooong list of hidden costs but, to name a few:

Physical toll - knees, hips, etc.
Mental stress from countless sources from the minor (keeping an availability
calendar up to date) to the major (ejecting several players for a fight)
Actual money made per hour (remember to include packing a bag, laundry,
driving to/from game, meeting attendance, shopping for gear, camps,
emailing a partner, and all the other tiny bits of time involved)
Impact on life - work, sig oth, spouse, kids, etc..

Again, not trying to be a Debbie Downer but one has to consider everything and very few actually do that before jumping into it.

bucky Mon Oct 02, 2017 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1009556)
I always tell others that I am getting paid to exercise, which is a great outcome that far outweighs the fiscal benefits.

In addition, my involvement in officiating was a major influence on 2 of my sons who were inspired to make it their professional careers.

Ahh, professional careers = for the money. Great!

UNIgiantslayers Mon Oct 02, 2017 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1009568)
I would suggest digging deeper into the ledger. Most, around me anyway, do not report officiating income for tax purposes. Indeed positive cash flow but...at what actual expense. There is a looooong list of hidden costs but, to name a few:

Mental stress from countless sources from the minor (keeping an availability
calendar up to date) to the major (ejecting several players for a fight)
Actual money made per hour (remember to include packing a bag, laundry,
driving to/from game, meeting attendance, shopping for gear, camps,
emailing a partner, and all the other tiny bits of time involved)

Again, not trying to be a Debbie Downer but one has to consider everything and very few actually do that before jumping into it.

First of all... the physical toll?? From officiating??? Come on. You need to check your diet and exercise regimen if officiating takes a physical toll on you.

Second, do you count the hours that you spend doing laundry for your primary job, travel to that job, shopping for new clothes for that job, money spent on degree for that job, etc. when you figure your own salary? I really hope you're kidding here today because you got me hook, line, and sinker.

To the new guy- try it out for a couple of years. You may love it. You may hate it. But don't let some jamoke on a message board be the reason you make your decision. If you have thick skin, I imagine you'll enjoy it.

BryanV21 Mon Oct 02, 2017 04:09pm

If anyone is thinking of officiating for the money then they need to find another part time job. I officiate because I love the game, and I enjoy officiating. It's a hobby I get paid for. Are there downsides? Yeah, but that's true of anything.

jTheUmp Mon Oct 02, 2017 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1009568)
I would suggest digging deeper into the ledger. Most, around me anyway, do not report officiating income for tax purposes.

What other officials do in this regard is not my concern.

Quote:

Indeed positive cash flow but...at what actual expense. There is a looooong list of hidden costs but, to name a few:

Which could also be a concern with any number of other activities (running, skiing, auto racing, etc.) Alternatively, what about the physical toll from NOT exercising and sitting on the couch all day watching TV or playing videogames?

Quote:

Mental stress from countless sources from the minor (keeping an availability calendar up to date) to the major (ejecting several players for a fight)
I keep a calendar up to date for my regular life anyway. And officiating is actually a stress RELIEVER for me. I actually really enjoy the high-stress moments when everyone else in the area is going crazy and I'm the calm center of the universe.

Quote:

Actual money made per hour (remember to include packing a bag, laundry, driving to/from game, meeting attendance, shopping for gear, camps, emailing a partner, and all the other tiny bits of time involved)
Yep, it takes time... so do any number of other hobbies and activities that would actually COST me money to participate in.

Quote:

A valid concern, and one that requires constant communication with the family. Since my son was born, I've cut back my officiating by about 70% so I can spend time with him (and also to give my wife time to pursue her hobby, which she also makes money doing). But, again, any activity or hobby can have detrimental impacts on your life if you let it.

It does, of course, help that my job is flexible enough to allow me to leave early on the occasions that I need to do so.

crosscountry55 Mon Oct 02, 2017 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1009570)
To the new guy- try it out for a couple of years. You may love it. You may hate it. But don't let some jamoke on a message board be the reason you make your decision. If you have thick skin, I imagine you'll enjoy it.

This.

Some attrition is inevitable. But we need (x) new officials every year in order to get the (x-y) returning officials we need to sustain the profession. Be an x-man and then let the chips fall where they may.

LRZ Mon Oct 02, 2017 05:19pm

With that perspective, Bucky, I'm surprised you referee.