The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What is there to consider? It's a rule, isn't it?
Yup, sure is.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is there to consider? It's a rule, isn't it?
States can veer from the rules as they choose. Texas has been using 2-handed reporting for a couple years now.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
States can veer from the rules as they choose. Texas has been using 2-handed reporting for a couple years now.
Well, that is more of a mechanic, which any state can do what they want.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 02:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well, that is more of a mechanic, which any state can do what they want.

Peace
It's in the rules book. Therefore, it's a rule.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's in the rules book. Therefore, it's a rule.
It is now, but it was not previously if memory serves me correctly.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is now, but it was not previously if memory serves me correctly.

Peace
It was.

Rule 2-9-1 has always specified the number of hands we (are supposed to) report fouls with. They changed "one hand" to "two hands" this offseason.

And yes, I know that states can and will do whatever they want.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It was.

Rule 2-9-1 has always specified the number of hands we (are supposed to) report fouls with. They changed "one hand" to "two hands" this offseason.

And yes, I know that states can and will do whatever they want.
Then this makes my point as I have been stating. They did what they wanted to do before as I said before and after. Thanks for proving my point.

And Texas was not even close to the only state that used 2 hand reporting before the rules change this year.

I believe Georgia allowed 2 hand reporting in the past (they allowed walk and talk too), as well as that mechanic, was clearly in a video they put out some years ago. So much for "They must follow the National Federation Rules" argument. They were not doing it before as it related to mechanics situations. Heck, even uniform situations are also stated in the rules for what the officials wear and we know that there were states not using black and white striped shirts in all situations.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then this makes my point as I have been stating. They did what they wanted to do before as I said before and after. Thanks for proving my point.

And Texas was not even close to the only state that used 2 hand reporting before the rules change this year.

I believe Georgia allowed 2 hand reporting in the past (they allowed walk and talk too), as well as that mechanic, was clearly in a video they put out some years ago. So much for "They must follow the National Federation Rules" argument. They were not doing it before as it related to mechanics situations. Heck, even uniform situations are also stated in the rules for what the officials wear and we know that there were states not using black and white striped shirts in all situations.

Peace
Georgia has used women's CCA mechanics for many years now.

No one on this forum, Rich and I included, has ever argued this. So I'm not sure why you act like you've made some astounding realization that we should all kiss your feet for. I proved absolutely nothing because you never made a point on this topic that we didn't already know. But if it makes you feel better, go on ahead.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

No one on this forum, Rich and I included, has ever argued this. So I'm not sure why you act like you've made some astounding realization that we should all kiss your feet for. I proved absolutely nothing because you never made a point on this topic that we didn't already know. But if it makes you feel better, go on ahead.
And I was not arguing anything, I was stating a fact. Stating a fact should not be an issue with anyone on this site, as we have people that love to correct people on all kinds of issues that are stated.

Since we are talking about what states have accepted or not accepted, it should be OK for someone to state what is not obvious to everyone. You and I have had this conversation about 2 hand reporting (which seems like you have an issue with someone talking about this rules change) but others have not. I was not talking to you about the policy or rule BTW. Just stating that if Texas was going outside of the rule, they clearly are not being hurt by that fact they are doing their own thing. Having lived in Texas that seems to be a common theme with them.

Either way, the people of the NF have stated many things as to what is usually a problem when the rules are not followed by state policy. It appears that any mechanic is not something they even worry about as much as those here do.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Do Whatever We Want, We're Rebels I Tell You, Rebels ...

Quote:
I know that states can and will do whatever they want.
In Connecticut, a player, after lifting his pivot foot, may legally take three steps, as long as the three steps are a hop, a skip, and a jump.

Also, dunks count two points, other field goals from within the arc count three points, and other field goals from outside the arc count four points.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 05, 2017 at 05:53am.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2017, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In our group, we no longer distribute the NFHS officials manual on the years they are published. We follow CCA for floor coverages and most mechanics. We follow NFHS primarily but and we do follow GHSA direction when ordered.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
Per the 2017-18 FHSAA Basketball Sport Manual 4.2.1.1.1 Competition Rules, Florida is keeping the 14' coaching box.
Well that’s odd. I’m in FL, and in our last meeting for my association we discussed how the FHSAA is adopting the 28’ box. I wonder which to use now.