The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   28-foot box (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102921-28-foot-box.html)

BillyMac Mon Sep 18, 2017 05:06pm

Rebels ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1009192)
... the rules require officials to wear black and white stripes, which doesn't happen in multiple states represented on the Committee.

Those states that allow officials to wear other colors should be put on double secret probation. That will teach them.

SC Official Mon Sep 18, 2017 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1009211)
Two hand reporting sounds like it should be a mechanic and should be in the Manual, but I believe that it's in the NFHS Rulebook, and therefore is a rule. I wonder why?

It is in the Manual and the Rules Book. Rule 2-9-1 has indicated how many hands officials are "supposed" to report fouls with for however long.

Camron Rust Mon Sep 18, 2017 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1009211)
Two hand reporting sounds like it should be a mechanic and should be in the Manual, but I believe that it's in the NFHS Rulebook, and therefore is a rule. I wonder why?

Perhaps the "mechanics" are more specifically intended to cover the procedures that only officials need to know (where to stand, where to look, how to move, etc.) while rules include not just the playing rules but the bridge between the officials an those playing rules...the signals used to communicate how the rules were violated.

Players, coaches, scorers, timers, and fans couldn't care less about the former while many of them have a need to know the latter. Putting those in those in the rule book makes sense since such groups really don't need 95% of what is in the mechanics book.

BillyMac Tue Sep 19, 2017 05:48am

Rules Vs. Mechanics ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1009221)
Perhaps the "mechanics" are more specifically intended to cover the procedures that only officials need to know while rules include not just the playing rules but the bridge between the officials an those playing rules...the signals used to communicate how the rules were violated. Players, coaches, scorers, timers, and fans couldn't care less about the former while many of them have a need to know the latter. Putting those in those in the rule book makes sense since they such groups really don't need 95% of what is in the mechanics book.

Great explanation.

Smitty Tue Sep 26, 2017 07:31am

Texas is staying with the 14' box. For whatever reason, they like to be different about some things. They've given no reason so far why they aren't adopting this rule.

JRutledge Tue Sep 26, 2017 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 1009388)
Texas is staying with the 14' box. For whatever reason, they like to be different about some things. They've given no reason so far why they aren't adopting this rule.

Their reason is simply that they can. It is after all their own country.

Peace

Raymond Tue Sep 26, 2017 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 1009388)

How many high school gyms are currently out of commission due to Harvey?

Smitty Tue Sep 26, 2017 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1009397)

I honestly don't have a clue - I'm far from Houston. I'll bet quite a few, though.

diehardmason Tue Sep 26, 2017 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1009397)

I’m in Houston. Only a few were that I know of. But it could be more.

zm1283 Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:38am

Missouri is using the 28' box. I'm fine with it and love the two-hand reporting too.

BillyMac Fri Sep 29, 2017 05:48am

Old Dog, New Tricks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 1009492)
... the two-hand reporting.

It's probably going to take me a while to get use to this. I've been doing it one handed for thirty-seven years.

Rich Fri Sep 29, 2017 07:13am

Is any state foregoing the 2 hand reporting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jpref23 Tue Oct 03, 2017 01:09am

Texas is opting to keep the 14-foot coaching box, at least for the 17-18 season.

#76 Tue Oct 03, 2017 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1009497)
Is any state foregoing the 2 hand reporting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My understanding is it's still under consideration here in Maine.

Rich Tue Oct 03, 2017 09:36am

What is there to consider? It's a rule, isn't it?