The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 02, 2017, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Look no further than the world's best player and leading global ambassador of the game, LeBron James, acting a complete fool (hardly any better than LaVar Ball really) as both a coach and fan at his son's AAU games. There are many videos documenting his behavior, but this will do just fine.

Don't be mislead by the headline or glowing opening paragraphs. Seeing him and his entire coaching staff routinely 5 feet onto the court during live action a half dozen times within the first 90 seconds of the video will give you an idea of the clown show:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3371462

There are other clips out there of him giving the "it's us against the world; everyone wants to see us lose" adversity speech, while wearing a bucket hat and sunglasses indoors, right out of the Coaching 101 course at AAU University. There's another of him running onto the floor -- as a fan -- and interfering at the scorer's table because he feels there's been an error. It never ends ...

AAU is the scourge of the basketball planet. And not even the world's best player, who has experienced everything under the sun, has the composure or sense to rise above it. The adults really do ruin everything.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

I watched at least half of that video expecting to see out of control behavior.

None to be found. The real problem was having a highly attended game in such a small facility.

If the only thing you can say is he's out on the court...well I've run across coaches from AAU to college that have that problem as well.

Edit: Watched the full video. Nothing of real note. If we want to be real...it's on the officials to enforce the coaching box. But in the grand scheme of things....that clip...nothing even registers
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg View Post
i watched at least half of that video expecting to see out of control behavior.

None to be found. The real problem was having a highly attended game in such a small facility.

If the only thing you can say is he's out on the court...well i've run across coaches from aau to college that have that problem as well.

Edit: Watched the full video. Nothing of real note. If we want to be real...it's on the officials to enforce the coaching box. But in the grand scheme of things....that clip...nothing even registers
+1
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If we want to be real...it's on the officials to enforce the coaching box.
How do you think that would go over? Be real indeed.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Look no further than the world's best player and leading global ambassador of the game, LeBron James, acting a complete fool (hardly any better than LaVar Ball really) as both a coach and fan at his son's AAU games. There are many videos documenting his behavior, but this will do just fine.

Don't be mislead by the headline or glowing opening paragraphs. Seeing him and his entire coaching staff routinely 5 feet onto the court during live action a half dozen times within the first 90 seconds of the video will give you an idea of the clown show:
LeBron James seen calling the shots in son's AAU game in Vegas - NY Daily News

There are other clips out there of him giving the "it's us against the world; everyone wants to see us lose" adversity speech, while wearing a bucket hat and sunglasses indoors, right out of the Coaching 101 course at AAU University. There's another of him running onto the floor -- as a fan -- and interfering at the scorer's table because he feels there's been an error. It never ends ...

AAU is the scourge of the basketball planet. And not even the world's best player, who has experienced everything under the sun, has the composure or sense to rise above it. The adults really do ruin everything.
1) AAU has a dress code for coaches.
2) Article says right up front that this is part of the Adidas Uprising, so THIS IS NOT an AAU event.
3) Fans at the venue I work AAU games at get tossed, or at least a conversation with security, for running up to the scorer's table, so why does this fall under "AAU is the scourge of the basketball planet" category?
4) It is on officials to keep coaches off the court. Are you expecting tournament organizers to come on the court and tell the coaches to sit down?

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Aug 03, 2017 at 07:18am.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Gets enforced here, especially during AAU sanctioned events. Maybe folks in your area need to start developing some backbone.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post

What's really pathetic is that his next game, they were going to do 2 women officials and 1 male, but Adidas wouldn't allow it, so they did 2 males and 1 woman. . .

That being said, I will NEVER work an Adidas-brand tournament ever. They put their own self interests for one team and the hope they can get an endorsement for a player over the sport entirely. . .
Actually, it was supposed to be 3 female officials. If everyone heard the full story (which I'm sure will eventually get around), they'd be shocked to learn that Adidas' behavior was even douchier than has been reported in various articles.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Classic example of clinicians wanting to make sure they get to come back the next year and collect another check rather than having the balls to put their foot down.
That is not true. First of all, the clinicians don't run the camp. Secondly, it was a consideration to pull all the officials from the tournament, but that would have penalized over 100 campers plus all the other teams.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
At 53 seconds or so on this video, one of the officials walks over to a player (presumably to tell him to keep the water off the court or to tuck in his shirt) and to get his attention, he taps him on the back a couple times. The player responds by swatting the officials hand away.

The official in question is from China, where apparently it is customary for such contact with a player. And the kid got T'd for this by another official, it's just not noticeable on the video.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly...I doubt it'd be an issue....especially if the official isn't an ***hole about it.

"Hey coach....help me out...I know there's limited space on the sidelines but I can't have you five feet on the court."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Aug 03, 2017, 11:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Actually, it was supposed to be 3 female officials. If everyone heard the full story (which I'm sure will eventually get around), they'd be shocked to learn that Adidas' behavior was even douchier than has been reported in various articles.
In fact it was going to be three female officials, at least two of which were clinicians at the camp and currently/formerly work D1/NCAA tournament. Ed was on a radio show where he said this.

Quote:
The official in question is from China, where apparently it is customary for such contact with a player. And the kid got T'd for this by another official, it's just not noticeable on the video.
Can I ask how you know? I'm surprised that another official noticed this -- I don't watch my partners that closely and would probably miss that.

Quote:
1) AAU has a dress code for coaches.
2) Article says right up front that this is part of the Adidas Uprising, so THIS IS NOT an AAU event.
3) Fans at the venue I work AAU games at get tossed, or at least a conversation with security, for running up to the scorer's table, so why does this fall under "AAU is the scourge of the basketball planet" category?
4) It is on officials to keep coaches off the court. Are you expecting tournament organizers to come on the court and tell the coaches to sit down?
We need a new term for offseason basketball that doesn't besmirch the AAU moniker. They've been getting a bad rap in the media for the crap that happened at the Adidas event. I worked y first AAU-official event a couple weeks ago and everything was VERY well run. Coaches dressed in dress casual wearing nice shorts and polos and no hats. Players were about that same as other events but I could actually talk to the coaches and they seemed respectful of what we were trying to do. There were still hiccups here and there but NOTHING like in the LeBron video with him and his posse 5 feet on the floor during play (further than the officials!) and accosting the table at 1:30 when they had the arrow wrong. I would hopefully have shut that down early. Otherwise the inmates would run the asylum.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2017, 07:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

Can I ask how you know? I'm surprised that another official noticed this -- I don't watch my partners that closely and would probably miss that.

Turns out a friend of mine was a clinician. He has already gotten rid of all his Adidas apparel.