The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Shot Clocks

Add Wisconsin to the list. Varsity games only, starting in 2019-20. 35 seconds, both boys and girls.

Also, we will be using the 28-foot box next year. When I moved here 15 years ago, there was a 6 foot box varsity only and it was considered an experiment. Times change.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Add Wisconsin to the list. Varsity games only, starting in 2019-20. 35 seconds, both boys and girls.

Also, we will be using the 28-foot box next year. When I moved here 15 years ago, there was a 6 foot box varsity only and it was considered an experiment. Times change.

Illinois is going to the 28 foot box for the upcoming season as well.

Is standing in the coaches box still a varsity only thing in Wisconsin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 01:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Illinois is going to the 28 foot box for the upcoming season as well.

Is standing in the coaches box still a varsity only thing in Wisconsin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, all levels. Has been for a few years now.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 03:00pm
AremRed

They should really go to a 30 second clock. Is way easier for officials to calculate changes in their head.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
They should really go to a 30 second clock. Is way easier for officials to calculate changes in their head.
I do not think the officials would be the problem. There would be a lot more bad shots attempted with 30 second than 35 seconds.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 04:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think the officials would be the problem. There would be a lot more bad shots attempted with 30 second than 35 seconds.
Not really. There are already terrible shots taken in high school games with no shot clock. Let's be honest, any given set doesn't take more than 15 or 20 seconds to get an acceptable open look. When teams defend well for 20 seconds and the offense fails to get an open book, that's when crappy shots happen. But that happens every game. This just speeds up the whole process. I am sure coaches can adjust to having to buy your seconds to get a crappy shot.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not really. There are already terrible shots taken in high school games with no shot clock. Let's be honest, any given set doesn't take more than 15 or 20 seconds to get an acceptable open look. When teams defend well for 20 seconds and the offense fails to get an open book, that's when crappy shots happen. But that happens every game. This just speeds up the whole process. I am sure coaches can adjust to having to buy your seconds to get a crappy shot.
Yes, but a shot clock brings worse shots sometimes. And a lot of teams IMO at the high school are not capable to take better shots. Also many high school teams can hold and pass the ball a lot. A shot clock is not going to make the scores go up if you cannot shoot.

I did a tournament where there was a 35 second shot clock but those teams played up tempo or played in a way already where they shot quicker anyway. But not all teams I see play that way. And the shot clock is going to just speed up that process.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 06:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We'll make it work.

They still have 2 years to change their minds, too.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 06:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We'll make it work.

They still have 2 years to change their minds, too.
It can work. Not suggesting that it cannot work overall. I just do not like it if I had a choice. If anything, get rid of quarters and extend the game by 2 minutes per half. I think that would make a better game not the shot clock.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 06:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It can work. Not suggesting that it cannot work overall. I just do not like it if I had a choice. If anything, get rid of quarters and extend the game by 2 minutes per half. I think that would make a better game not the shot clock.

Peace
We already play 18-minute halves.

For many schools, this is a solution in search of a problem. An expensive one, at that.

I may see if I can start working the shot clock once in a while, though. Gotta find the next career once I get sick of officiating.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2017, 07:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We already play 18-minute halves.

For many schools, this is a solution in search of a problem. An expensive one, at that.

I may see if I can start working the shot clock once in a while, though. Gotta find the next career once I get sick of officiating.
So much for using National Federation Rules strictly. Not sure where that idea of states doing their own thing came from?

Peace
Old Sat Jun 24, 2017, 10:46am
Ok is the new good

With the expanded coaching box..what do you think the impact will be? Will coaches be more involved and chatting with officials even more? Will officials need to address coaches even more?
Old Sat Jun 24, 2017, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
With the expanded coaching box..what do you think the impact will be? Will coaches be more involved and chatting with officials even more? Will officials need to address coaches even more?
I am sure plenty of coaches will use it as an opportunity to go down to the end line to chat with or b*tch at the L. If (s)he does the latter, it's a great opportunity to put an official warning in the book.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2017, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Actually it will have very little to no impact. College coaches do not talk more to officials because of where they are located. Actually if the coach is closer I do not have to yell. And most of all we will not have to be so worried about where a coach is located in front of their bench. Now the coach can go get water at the end of the bench. The length of the coaching box is not going to make coaches smarter when they discuss things from officials. It just will eliminate much of what we worry about. And now with the coach's warning, we have another tool to stop the madness.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I have more issues with the coaches wanting to stand at the division line in front of the scorer's table.