The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot Clocks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102761-shot-clocks.html)

Rich Fri Jun 23, 2017 09:35am

Shot Clocks

Add Wisconsin to the list. Varsity games only, starting in 2019-20. 35 seconds, both boys and girls.

Also, we will be using the 28-foot box next year. When I moved here 15 years ago, there was a 6 foot box varsity only and it was considered an experiment. Times change.

bas2456 Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1007189)
Add Wisconsin to the list. Varsity games only, starting in 2019-20. 35 seconds, both boys and girls.

Also, we will be using the 28-foot box next year. When I moved here 15 years ago, there was a 6 foot box varsity only and it was considered an experiment. Times change.

Illinois is going to the 28 foot box for the upcoming season as well.

Is standing in the coaches box still a varsity only thing in Wisconsin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich Fri Jun 23, 2017 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1007194)
Illinois is going to the 28 foot box for the upcoming season as well.

Is standing in the coaches box still a varsity only thing in Wisconsin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, all levels. Has been for a few years now.

AremRed Fri Jun 23, 2017 03:00pm

They should really go to a 30 second clock. Is way easier for officials to calculate changes in their head.

JRutledge Fri Jun 23, 2017 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1007197)
They should really go to a 30 second clock. Is way easier for officials to calculate changes in their head.

I do not think the officials would be the problem. There would be a lot more bad shots attempted with 30 second than 35 seconds.

Peace

AremRed Fri Jun 23, 2017 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1007198)
I do not think the officials would be the problem. There would be a lot more bad shots attempted with 30 second than 35 seconds.

Not really. There are already terrible shots taken in high school games with no shot clock. Let's be honest, any given set doesn't take more than 15 or 20 seconds to get an acceptable open look. When teams defend well for 20 seconds and the offense fails to get an open book, that's when crappy shots happen. But that happens every game. This just speeds up the whole process. I am sure coaches can adjust to having to buy your seconds to get a crappy shot.

JRutledge Fri Jun 23, 2017 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1007200)
Not really. There are already terrible shots taken in high school games with no shot clock. Let's be honest, any given set doesn't take more than 15 or 20 seconds to get an acceptable open look. When teams defend well for 20 seconds and the offense fails to get an open book, that's when crappy shots happen. But that happens every game. This just speeds up the whole process. I am sure coaches can adjust to having to buy your seconds to get a crappy shot.

Yes, but a shot clock brings worse shots sometimes. And a lot of teams IMO at the high school are not capable to take better shots. Also many high school teams can hold and pass the ball a lot. A shot clock is not going to make the scores go up if you cannot shoot.

I did a tournament where there was a 35 second shot clock but those teams played up tempo or played in a way already where they shot quicker anyway. But not all teams I see play that way. And the shot clock is going to just speed up that process.

Peace

Rich Fri Jun 23, 2017 06:03pm

We'll make it work.

They still have 2 years to change their minds, too. :D

JRutledge Fri Jun 23, 2017 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1007203)
We'll make it work.

They still have 2 years to change their minds, too. :D

It can work. Not suggesting that it cannot work overall. I just do not like it if I had a choice. If anything, get rid of quarters and extend the game by 2 minutes per half. I think that would make a better game not the shot clock.

Peace

Rich Fri Jun 23, 2017 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1007204)
It can work. Not suggesting that it cannot work overall. I just do not like it if I had a choice. If anything, get rid of quarters and extend the game by 2 minutes per half. I think that would make a better game not the shot clock.

Peace

We already play 18-minute halves.

For many schools, this is a solution in search of a problem. An expensive one, at that.

I may see if I can start working the shot clock once in a while, though. Gotta find the next career once I get sick of officiating. :D

JRutledge Fri Jun 23, 2017 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1007205)
We already play 18-minute halves.

For many schools, this is a solution in search of a problem. An expensive one, at that.

I may see if I can start working the shot clock once in a while, though. Gotta find the next career once I get sick of officiating. :D

So much for using National Federation Rules strictly. Not sure where that idea of states doing their own thing came from? :D

Peace

The_Rookie Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:46am

With the expanded coaching box..what do you think the impact will be? Will coaches be more involved and chatting with officials even more? Will officials need to address coaches even more?

SC Official Sat Jun 24, 2017 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1007215)
With the expanded coaching box..what do you think the impact will be? Will coaches be more involved and chatting with officials even more? Will officials need to address coaches even more?

I am sure plenty of coaches will use it as an opportunity to go down to the end line to chat with or b*tch at the L. If (s)he does the latter, it's a great opportunity to put an official warning in the book.

JRutledge Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1007215)

Actually it will have very little to no impact. College coaches do not talk more to officials because of where they are located. Actually if the coach is closer I do not have to yell. And most of all we will not have to be so worried about where a coach is located in front of their bench. Now the coach can go get water at the end of the bench. The length of the coaching box is not going to make coaches smarter when they discuss things from officials. It just will eliminate much of what we worry about. And now with the coach's warning, we have another tool to stop the madness.

Peace

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Jun 26, 2017 09:48am

I have more issues with the coaches wanting to stand at the division line in front of the scorer's table.