The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 12:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2017-18 IAABO Exam Questions ...

I have been asked to submit ten questions to IAABO to be used on the 2017-18 Applicant Exam, and/or the 2017-18 Refresher Exam. The questions are to be based on 2016-17, and 2017-18 NFHS rule changes, and Points of Emphasis. Here's what I came up with. Corrections, and/or comments would be appreciated. Especially corrections. I would hate to get my own test questions wrong. That would be very embarrassing.

1) Cheerleaders are located along the endline. The official informs the cheerleaders that they may not stand in the restricted area along the endline between the free throw lane lines extended. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 1-20)

2) Cheerleaders attempt to come onto the playing court during a thirty second time out. The official informs the cheerleaders that they must remain outside of the playing area during a thirty second or less timeout during the game. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 1-20)

3) The timekeeper sounds a warning signal to end the twenty seconds permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game. The official believes this to be the correct procedure. Is the official correct? No (Rule 2-12-5)

4) Players on Team A are wearing white jerseys and red shorts. Several players on Team A are wearing white wrist bands, headbands, leg sleeves, and arm sleeves. Player A1 is wearing red compression shorts that extend below the uniform shorts. The official allows this because A1’s compression shorts are the same color as the uniform shorts. Is the official correct? No (Rule 3-5-3)

5) Players on Team A are wearing blue jerseys and blue shorts. Several players on Team A are wearing white wrist bands, headbands, leg sleeves, and arm sleeves. Player A2 is wearing a white undershirt under his uniform jersey. The official allows this because A2’s undershirt is the same color as the equipment worn by the other Team A players. Is the official correct? No (Rule 3-5-6)

6) Player A1 releases a free throw attempt. B1, occupying a marked free throw lane line space, crosses the free throw line after the release and enters the free throw semicircle before the ball touches the ring, the backboard, or until the free throw ends. B1 does not contact A1. A1’s free throw attempt bounces off the ring and is unsuccessful. After signaling a delayed free throw violation with an extended fist, the official calls a free throw violation on B1 and allows A1 a substitute free throw attempt. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 9-1-3h)

7) Team A has possession of the ball in their frontcourt. The head coach of Team A requests a sixty second timeout while the ball is in the air as A1 is passing the ball to A2. The official grants the timeout request while the ball is in the air because the ball is in team control of Team A. Is the official correct? No (2016-17 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis, Rule 5-8-3a)

8) Team A has possession of the ball in their frontcourt. Defensive post player B1 is using a stationary arm bar to hold his position as offensive post player A1 positions himself on the free throw lane line block. As guard A2 attempts to pass the ball to post player A1, B1 extends his arm bar and displaces A1 from his position on the block. The official charges B1 with a pushing foul. Is the official correct? Yes (2016-17 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis, Rule 10-7-1)

9) The Team A head coach shows frustration with what he considers a missed travel call. He gestures with a travel signal, and tells the nearest official that he missed the call. Previous to this, there was not a hint of misconduct by the Team A head coach. The official judges that this misconduct is not a major problem, but needs to be dealt with. The official stops play and gives the Team A head coach an official warning for misconduct, which is recorded in the scorebook. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 10-5, Rule 4-48)

10) The head coach of Team A is calling out plays to his team while he is standing on the sideline, two feet inside the end line. The official charges Team A head coach with a technical foul for standing outside the fourteen foot designated coaching box. Is the official correct? No (Rule 10-6-1, Rule 1-13)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 01, 2017 at 05:14pm.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 12:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Given we only have the NFHS press release regarding their description of what new rules were coming, your ten questions and accompanying answers appear legitimate and correct.
It would be interesting to see what questions could be added if they come up with any unannounced rules book or casebook changes or new POE's that either are or are not supported by a rule. I guess only time will tell. Until then, you're right on, it seems.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon May 29, 2017 at 12:55pm.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 01:01pm
This IS My Social Life

You Forgot One Mechanics Question

11. In the state of Connecticut, the digits of the player who committed the foul are reported to the table with the right finger(s) for the first digit and the left finger(s), if necessary, for the second digit for a fouler on the home team and with the left finger(s) for the first digit and the right finger(s), if necessary, for the second digit for a fouler on the visiting team. In the case that both teams are playing at a neutral site, the order of reporting will be purely random and it's up to the table to guess. Yes, 2-9-1 - rev. CT.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The NFHS Is Always Right, Even When They Are Wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
POE's that ... are not supported by a rule ...
No way. That would never happen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon May 29, 2017, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
11. In the state of Connecticut ...
We actually do have some "Connecticut Only" rules, and/or mechanics.

Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.

Team members are not allowed to congregate at division line, or on school logo during introductions.

Coaching Box and Substitute “X” must be marked. If home coach, and/or home management, refuse to designate a coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner.

Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner.

I believe that the "team congregate school logo introductions" is an actual NFHS "rule", but I believe it's embedded in a Point of Emphasis from several years ago, and never made it's way into the actual rulebook. The CIAC (Connecticut interscholastic sports governing body) wants this strictly enforced. Too many players spitting on the home team logo.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 29, 2017 at 01:35pm.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

2) Cheerleaders attempt to come onto the playing court during a thirty second time out. The official informs the cheerleaders that they must remain outside of the playing area during a thirty second or less timeout during the game. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 1-20)
What's that?
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or Less ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What's that?
I was using NFHS language. Maybe it refers to thirty second timeouts where both teams are ready to go after only a few seconds, occasionally seen late in lopsided games where coaches are trying to get players from the far end of the bench into the game. Maybe it refers to the fifteen second time interval, not really a timeout, to replace a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.

NFHS 1-20: Non-playing personnel, e.g., spirit participants, media, shall remain outside of the playing area during a 30-second or less time-out during the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 29, 2017 at 04:14pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Does #10 contain an ambiguity? Next season, a coach two feet from the end line will be out of the coaching box, whether it is 14' or 28'.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Does #10 contain an ambiguity? Next season, a coach two feet from the end line will be out of the coaching box, whether it is 14' or 28'.
Why would the coach be out of the box if the box is 28'? Doesn't the coaching box start at the 28' mark...meaning the other end would be all the way too the endline? If the coach is on the sideline, 2 feet from the endline, they'd be in the new box, wouldn't they?
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have been asked to submit ten questions to IAABO to be used on the 2017-18 Applicant Exam, and/or the 2017-18 Refresher Exam. The questions are to be based on 2016-17, and 2017-18 NFHS rule changes, and Points of Emphasis. Here's what I came up with. Corrections, and/or comments would be appreciated. Especially corrections. I would hate to get my own test questions wrong. That would be very embarrassing.

1) Cheerleaders are located along the endline. The official informs the cheerleaders that they may not stand in the restricted area along the endline between the free throw lane lines extended. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 1-20)

3) The timekeeper sounds a warning signal to end the twenty seconds permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game. The official believes this to be the correct procedure. Is the official correct? No (Rule 2-12-5)

4) Players on Team A are wearing white jerseys and red shorts. Several players on Team A are wearing white wrist bands, headbands, leg sleeves, and arm sleeves. Player A1 is wearing red compression shorts that extend below the uniform shorts. The official allows this because A1’s compression shorts are the same color as the uniform shorts. Is the official correct? No (Rule 3-5-3)

5) Players on Team A are wearing blue jerseys and blue shorts. Several players on Team A are wearing white wrist bands, headbands, leg sleeves, and arm sleeves. Player A2 is wearing a white undershirt under his uniform jersey. The official allows this because A2’s undershirt is the same color as the equipment worn by the other Team A players. Is the official correct? No (Rule 3-5-6)

6) Player A1 releases a free throw attempt. B1, occupying a marked free throw lane line space, crosses the free throw line after the release and enters the free throw semicircle before the ball touches the ring, the backboard, or until the free throw ends. B1 does not contact A1. A1’s free throw attempt bounces off the ring and is unsuccessful. After signaling a delayed free throw violation with an extended fist, the official calls a free throw violation on B1 and allows A1 a substitute free throw attempt. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 9-1-3h)

7) Team A has possession of the ball in their frontcourt. The head coach of Team A requests a sixty second timeout while the ball is in the air as A1 is passing the ball to A2. The official grants the timeout request while the ball is in the air because the ball is in team control of Team A. Is the official correct? No (2016-17 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis, Rule 5-8-3a)

8) Team A has possession of the ball in their frontcourt. Defensive post player B1 is using a stationary arm bar to hold his position as offensive post player A1 positions himself on the free throw lane line block. As guard A2 attempts to pass the ball to post player A1, B1 extends his arm bar and displaces A1 from his position on the block. The official charges B1 with a pushing foul. Is the official correct? Yes (2016-17 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis, Rule 10-7-1)

9) The head coach of Team A incites undesirable crowd reactions by rising from the bench, using gestures, and disrespectfully addressing an official. The official stops play and gives the Team A head coach an official warning for misconduct, which is recorded in the scorebook. The misconduct is not judged to be major. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 10-5, Rule 4-48)

10) The head coach of Team A is calling out plays to his team while he is standing on the sideline, two feet from the end line. The official charges Team A head coach with a technical foul for standing outside the fourteen foot designated coaching box. Is the official correct? No (Rule 10-6-1, Rule 1-13)
I might change 10 to say "The head coach of Team A is standing out of bounds in front of his bench two feet from the endline yelling instructions to his players. The official calls a technical foul for the Team A coach being "out of his box." (id leave out the word "designated" in your question). Is this correct ..."

Last edited by BigCat; Tue May 30, 2017 at 12:18pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why would the coach be out of the box if the box is 28'? Doesn't the coaching box start at the 28' mark...meaning the other end would be all the way too the endline? If the coach is on the sideline, 2 feet from the endline, they'd be in the new box, wouldn't they?
I guess it depends on whether the 28' box is placed in the middle of the 42' half court, as 1-13-2 states, so the coach would be out of the box by 5', or whether the additional 14 feet are added to the original dimension, making the box run all the way to the end line.

But you may be right. I have not seen the official wording, so my assumption may be wrong.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 03:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I have not seen the official wording ...
The coaching box now shall be bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line toward the division line.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 30, 2017 at 04:06pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 03:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Language ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
... leave out the word "designated" in your question ...
10-6-1: ... the head coach may stand within the designated coaching box ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I might change 10 to say "The head coach of Team A is standing out of bounds" ...
Good point, but regarding standing on the sideline, the sideline (as a boundary) is out of bounds.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 30, 2017 at 04:04pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 04:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Equipment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
What? No headband question?
Only indirectly.

I was supposed to only provide questions based on 2016-17, and 2017-18 NFHS rule changes, and Points of Emphasis. The "Skylar Diggins" rule (no extensions on headbands) was introduced in 2015-16.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 30, 2017 at 04:14pm.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The coaching box now shall be bounded by a line drawn 28 feet from the end line toward the division line.
Thank you. And Camron Rust is correct.