The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10-6-1: ... the head coach may stand within the designated coaching box ...

Good point, but regarding standing on the sideline, the sideline (as a boundary) is out of bounds.
I understand both. I just think if your teaching the length of coaching box just ask that question.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree with a warning for #9. Disrespectfully addressing an official and inciting negative crowd reactions are both worthy of a technical foul under NFHS rules.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 08:44pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I disagree with a warning for #9. Disrespectfully addressing an official and inciting negative crowd reactions are both worthy of a technical foul under NFHS rules.
I was just going to say this. No chance I'm giving a warning here. Straight to a T.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 10:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Disrespectfully addressing an official and inciting negative crowd reactions are both worthy of a technical foul under NFHS rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
No chance I'm giving a warning here. Straight to a T.
Both of you are certainly entitled to your expert, experienced, opinions, and you are correct, such acts can result in an immediate technical foul.

Early in the first quarter, the head coach shows frustration with what he considers a missed travel call. He stands up, gestures with a travel signal, and tells the nearest official that he missed the call. Fans also gesture with travel signals. Previous to this, there was not a hint of misconduct by the head coach. I'm probably judging this not to be major misconduct, and may do something short of charging a direct technical foul to the head coach. In the old days, this may have resulted in some type of admonishment from me ("Calm down coach"), maybe even the threatening "Stop Sign". It appears that the new rule replaces the "Stop Sign" with a written warning.

But depending on context, and circumstance, this could lead to an immediate technical foul with no warning, under both the old rule set, and the new rule set.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 30, 2017 at 10:30pm.
Old Wed May 31, 2017, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both of you are certainly entitled to your expert, experienced, opinions, and you are correct, such acts can result in an immediate technical foul.

Early in the first quarter, the head coach shows frustration with what he considers a missed travel call. He stands up, gestures with a travel signal, and tells the nearest official that he missed the call. Fans also gesture with travel signals. Previous to this, there was not a hint of misconduct by the head coach. I'm probably judging this not to be major misconduct, and may do something short of charging a direct technical foul to the head coach. In the old days, this may have resulted in some type of admonishment from me ("Calm down coach"), maybe even the threatening "Stop Sign". It appears that the new rule replaces the "Stop Sign" with a written warning.

But depending on context, and circumstance, this could lead to an immediate technical foul with no warning, under both the old rule set, and the new rule set.
I think id stay away from your question 9. You describe conduct in the first sentence that sounds like textbook automatic T. (Mirrors rule language). Then the question declare that the official doesnt deem the conduct major....and gives written warning. Then ask was he correct? Just dont think it is good question for a yes or no answer.

The reader of the question may focus on the language of your first sentence which mirrors the rule book language. He or she may think your question is "was the official correct to call the conduct "not Major?" By the wording you used I'd say no. But I know you aren't meaning for me to answer that question. You want me to accept as true that the conduct wasn't major. Is a written warning then appropriate....etc.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed May 31, 2017 at 09:55am.
Old Wed May 31, 2017, 01:05pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

Your example and what I'm interpreting question 9 to be are two different things, and I agree for your example, I don't think I would automatically issue a T. I also agree that the new written warning is replacing the stop sign.
Old Wed May 31, 2017, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stop! In the Name of Love (The Supremes, 1965) ...

Quote:
I also agree that the new written warning is replacing the stop sign.
What? No more stop sign. But it was one of my favorite unofficial signals. The signal really worked well when I was wearing my Fashion Police badge.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
10) The head coach of Team A is calling out plays to his team while he is standing on the sideline, two feet from the end line. The official charges Team A head coach with a technical foul for standing outside the fourteen foot designated coaching box. Is the official correct? No (Rule 10-6-1, Rule 1-13)
Ambiguous. "two feet from the end line" could be in or out depending on what side the "from" is. If "from" is between EL and 28' line. he's legal. If from is past EL where he is now 30' from 28' line, he is outside.

Just pickin nits here.

Roger
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 05:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Question 9 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
... You describe conduct in the first sentence that sounds like textbook automatic T.
Great points, by several Forum members. I changed it.

9) The Team A head coach shows frustration with what he considers a missed travel call. He gestures with a travel signal, and tells the nearest official that he missed the call. Previous to this, there was not a hint of misconduct by the Team A head coach. The official judges that this misconduct is not a major problem, but needs to be dealt with. The official stops play and gives the Team A head coach an official warning for misconduct, which is recorded in the scorebook. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 10-5, Rule 4-48)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 01, 2017 at 05:24pm.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 05:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Question 10 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
... "two feet from the end line" could be in or out depending on what side the "from" is.
Nit pickin, but worth nit pickin. I changed it.

10) The head coach of Team A is calling out plays to his team while he is standing on the sideline, two feet inside the end line. The official charges Team A head coach with a technical foul for standing outside the fourteen foot designated coaching box. Is the official correct? No (Rule 10-6-1, Rule 1-13)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 01, 2017 at 05:19pm.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 09:20pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Great points, by several Forum members. I changed it.

9) The Team A head coach shows frustration with what he considers a missed travel call. He gestures with a travel signal, and tells the nearest official that he missed the call. Previous to this, there was not a hint of misconduct by the Team A head coach. The official judges that this misconduct is not a major problem, but needs to be dealt with. The official stops play and gives the Team A head coach an official warning for misconduct, which is recorded in the scorebook. Is the official correct? Yes (Rule 10-5, Rule 4-48)

Doubt I go to a written warning for this

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Jun 01, 2017 at 09:23pm.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2017, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow You The Rest Of Your Life ...

Quote:
Doubt I go to a written warning for this.
But it will go on his permanent record. That's a big deal. Right?