The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 26, 2017, 09:53pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
SC/Fla, 10:00 first half. Is this a travel?
Yes, ends dribble with right foot on floor, picks it up and puts it down before shooting or passing
Old Sun Mar 26, 2017, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

I am going to disagree with all of you. For one the rule states that the goal is not scored until the ball remains in or passes through the basket. Well the ball does not really go through the basket until 0.3.

There is also no evidence they did not look at this. They have an alternate as well and if there was an issue he can to my knowledge let the crew now. There appeared to be a timeout or some stoppage for some time so I am sure they looked at this. But they did appear to get it right based on the pure rule and we know we must prove that we know the exact rule and apply it to the letter. I am not convinced that 0.4 would have been accurate considering that the ball appears to still be in the net. In other words they would be splitting hairs and IMO making a judgment that would be tight at best. They would get killed if they reviewed this later and Kentucky had made a big basket later. That is an easy decision sitting here at a computer screen or on a couch to make such a decision IMO. But hey, what do I know, just giving an opinion that means nothing in the end right?

Peace
I agree with Jrut. I froze/play/froze play the video and I thought that the ball was touching the net with .6, .5, and .4 seconds. When the ball was no longer in contact with the net, it read .3. I am actually surprised at how accurately they stopped the clock at .3. Probably 100 other clock operators would have stopped it at .2 or less.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2017, 10:29pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I am actually surprised at how accurately they stopped the clock at .3. Probably 100 other clock operators would have stopped it at .2 or less.
I think the clock guy got lucky.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
UNC v Kentucky
14:30 in the 2nd half.
UNC player at the top of the key.
Did he travel or was the ball knocked out by the defender?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
9:00 exactly left in second half of UNC v Kentucky.
Lead correctly calls goaltending. I was surprised that the call didn't come from the C, but he may have had a whistle too. Hard to see as he was almost out of the frame.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrider View Post
About 3 seconds left in the first half, the last drive to the bucket by Kentucky.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
In this one, I'm OK with BI. The ball was still in the cylinder when he touched it so they had that option.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I agree with Jrut. I froze/play/froze play the video and I thought that the ball was touching the net with .6, .5, and .4 seconds. When the ball was no longer in contact with the net, it read .3. I am actually surprised at how accurately they stopped the clock at .3. Probably 100 other clock operators would have stopped it at .2 or less.
While it was touching the bottom of the net, it was outside of it with the net laying on top of it. That is all that is required. It was entirely through by 0.5.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Should have been a foul. The defender was way beyond vertical...his hands were even far enough out to actually make contact with the back of the shooter's head and also made contact with the shooter's arms while in that position.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Mar 27, 2017 at 10:54am.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 02:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While it was touching the bottom of the net, it was outside of it with the net laying on top of it. That is all that is required. It was entirely through by 0.5.
I did not see anything that suggests the ball was completely through at .5. Maybe .4 at best, but the video is inconclusive. I think they got it right based on the angles we have and have shown. I think that is a stretch and would take detailed examining to determine either way. I am good with what they did.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Video Requests - thanks JRut!

SC/FL, 2nd half, 7:55, looks like illegal screen (feet too wide), typically not called?

SC/FL, 2nd half, 4:50, Throw-In Violation (Very close, nit-picky, I guess you don't want to be "That guy")

UK/UNC, 2nd half, 1:22, definitely looked like a travel
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should have been a foul. The defender was way beyond vertical...his hands were even far enough out to actually make contact with the of the shooter's head and made contact with the shooter's arms while in that position.
I agree. I think both defenders got him.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Yes, ends dribble with right foot on floor, picks it up and puts it down before shooting or passing
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I'd hardly describe what he did with his right foot as "picking it up and putting it back down."
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should have been a foul. The defender was way beyond vertical...his hands were even far enough out to actually make contact with the of the shooter's head and made contact with the shooter's arms while in that position.
I'm no-calling that all day. Defender got caved in a little when shooter drove directly into his torso, naturally lowering his arms.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Ball does get knocked away by defender ... once it hits the floor. And yes, that does matter. Sure, Jackson would have recovered it, thus making it a travel (dribble started with pivot foot off the floor), but Monk saved him from that by poking the ball away. Good patient whistle in no-calling this.

The dropping of the ball is nothing. It's what happens next.