The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Yowzah... we're all a little fired up this week aren't we?

As far as my personal shape... I lift weights and do cardio 5-days a week year-round and am one of the most fit refs around. A physical fitness test would be to my benefit.

However, as former president of our assoc, I am also quite aware of the difficulty of retaining officials. I have found that the written test we all take is not threatening nor a "barrier" to retaining officials. It's open book and only requires a couple hours of studying to pass even for beginning officials.

However, a fitness test would be intimidating enough for some existing refs to hang up their black shoes or potential recruits to shy away. That would be a very bad thing for the game in these parts.

Our ratings system takes "the ability to keep up" into account and those who are out of shape fall way down in the ratings. Therefore they are given mainly lower-level games so it works out for everyone.

Z
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Cool Aaaaargh! ...Memories.

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
Anyone with a waist over 32" must line up at the east corner of the gym for summary flogging at dawn followed by a 6 mile run and 10 by 400 wind sprints. Repeat weekly until all the poor varsity wannabes either pass or pass away.

tharbert,
The last time I ran 6 miles and 10 - 440 yd. pacers, I actually did have a 32" waist. (Yes, 440 yards)
...And it hurt then! Now, it would require my truck ... and a driver.
mick

Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Aaaaargh! ...Memories.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
Anyone with a waist over 32" must line up at the east corner of the gym for summary flogging at dawn followed by a 6 mile run and 10 by 400 wind sprints. Repeat weekly until all the poor varsity wannabes either pass or pass away.

tharbert,
The last time I ran 6 miles and 10 - 440 yd. pacers, I actually did have a 32" waist. (Yes, 440 yards)
...And it hurt then! Now, it would require my truck ... and a driver.
mick

I still have my 32" waist...hidden in there somewhere.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:16pm
Huck Finn

Jurrasic, I totally agree with your last post and the way you feel.

Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Jurrasic, I totally agree with your last post and the way you feel.

Me too, If the assignor will do that then a physical fitness test is not necessary.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 07:55pm
In Memoriam

JR,
I'll get my speed goin' and be happy to work 7th and 8th for you.
mick
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 10:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR,
mick
No way! you can still motor.A good 3-person crew will always need that one solid,mature experienced person on it.Assigning can be a real balancing act sometimes.You want to keep your real experienced guys contributing as long as they can too,and also passing along their wisdom and experience to the young lions coming up. Then,when the old guys are ready to pass the torch,but still want to do some games,you then assign them to train the rookie officials on the 7&8th,Frosh,etc. That's what I'm doing now.

You ain't at that point yet,partner. T'would be fun,though,if we worked together. I can hear the coaches now-"Can't you two be serious?".
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
JR,
mick
No way! you can still motor.A good 3-person crew will always need that one solid,mature experienced person on it.Assigning can be a real balancing act sometimes.You want to keep your real experienced guys contributing as long as they can too,and also passing along their wisdom and experience to the young lions coming up. Then,when the old guys are ready to pass the torch,but still want to do some games,you then assign them to train the rookie officials on the 7&8th,Frosh,etc. That's what I'm doing now.

You ain't at that point yet,partner. T'would be fun,though,if we worked together. I can hear the coaches now-"Can't you two be serious?".
The real challenge is assigning the old geezers and geezerettes that don't have the years of experience and wisdom to hand down. What the heck do you do with them!?
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 11:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
The real challenge is assigning the old geezers and geezerettes that don't have the years of experience and wisdom to hand down. What the heck do you do with them!? [/B][/QUOTE]Heckuva question,Juulie.I honestly don't think that I can give you a one-size-fits-all answer.Maybe someone else might be able to help.Personally,I think that a lot depends on the individual:do they really want to improve and do the best they can,or do they just want to make a buck or get a little exercise?;will they listen during their training to officials that may be much younger than them,but are still good,experienced officials?;are they young enough that your association will be able to get some productive years out of them?;Is their level of fitness good enough that they won't embarrass your association when they're out on the court;does your area have a lack of officials-to the point that you just need bodies,no matter how raw(bad) they might be? All of these things have to be taken into consideration.

A lot depends on what your honest opinion,as an assigner,would be as to what is the best thing that you can do for your organization.Imo though,I think that you have to give the person a chance,no matter what,and then take it from there.Give 'em the games and see what they can do.If they can do the job,then there shouldn't be any reason in the world to not use them. If they can't do the job,you may still need them for lower-level games-but you you should tell them where they stand.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
The real challenge is assigning the old geezers and geezerettes that don't have the years of experience and wisdom to hand down. What the heck do you do with them!? [/B]
Heckuva question,Juulie.I honestly don't think that I can give you a one-size-fits-all answer.Maybe someone else might be able to help.Personally,I think that a lot depends on the individual:do they really want to improve and do the best they can,or do they just want to make a buck or get a little exercise?;will they listen during their training to officials that may be much younger than them,but are still good,experienced officials?;are they young enough that your association will be able to get some productive years out of them?;Is their level of fitness good enough that they won't embarrass your association when they're out on the court;does your area have a lack of officials-to the point that you just need bodies,no matter how raw(bad) they might be? All of these things have to be taken into consideration.

A lot depends on what your honest opinion,as an assigner,would be as to what is the best thing that you can do for your organization.Imo though,I think that you have to give the person a chance,no matter what,and then take it from there.Give 'em the games and see what they can do.If they can do the job,then there shouldn't be any reason in the world to not use them. If they can't do the job,you may still need them for lower-level games-but you you should tell them where they stand. [/B][/QUOTE]

Great answer, Jurassic. I was wondering about myself more as a geezerette and less as an assignor.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 03:11pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
[/B]
I was wondering about myself more as a geezerette and less as an assignor. [/B][/QUOTE]Juulie,I think that your assignor,whoever it is way out there on the Left Coast,has the same basic philosophy that I have. They gave you an honest shot,obviously saw something promising there,and now you're steadily moving up.Geezeretes like you that turn into solid officials can make assignors look good. Btw,that's a tribute to you for your hard work and dedication,not the assignor.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

What will they do?

Quote:
Quote:
The real challenge is assigning the old geezers and geezerettes that don't have the years of experience and wisdom to hand down. What the heck do you do with them!? [/B]
Heckuva question,Juulie.I honestly don't think that I can give you a one-size-fits-all answer.Maybe someone else might be able to help.Personally,I think that a lot depends on the individual:do they really want to improve and do the best they can,or do they just want to make a buck or get a little exercise?;will they listen during their training to officials that may be much younger than them,but are still good,experienced officials?;are they young enough that your association will be able to get some productive years out of them?;Is their level of fitness good enough that they won't embarrass your association when they're out on the court;does your area have a lack of officials-to the point that you just need bodies,no matter how raw(bad) they might be? All of these things have to be taken into consideration.

A lot depends on what your honest opinion,as an assigner,would be as to what is the best thing that you can do for your organization.Imo though,I think that you have to give the person a chance,no matter what,and then take it from there.Give 'em the games and see what they can do.If they can do the job,then there shouldn't be any reason in the world to not use them. If they can't do the job,you may still need them for lower-level games-but you you should tell them where they stand. [/B][/QUOTE]

JR, I'm in a beginner's clinic and we have about 40 people attending. I'm waiting for the discussion regarding appearance. Many are challenged when it comes to fitness and I'm waiting to see if we are told anything about it.
We are required to wear our uniforms at the next session and that will be a perfect time to discuss appearance.

I know its tough when you have a shortage of refs, however when the association's reputation is as stake, do they still accept bad looking refs?
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 09:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: What will they do?

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee

JR, I'm in a beginner's clinic and we have about 40 people attending. I'm waiting for the discussion regarding appearance. Many are challenged when it comes to fitness and I'm waiting to see if we are told anything about it.
We are required to wear our uniforms at the next session and that will be a perfect time to discuss appearance.

I know its tough when you have a shortage of refs, however when the association's reputation is as stake, do they still accept bad looking refs?
Woodee,
Just do what you can, the best that you can.
Head up. Thoughts to yourself. Smile on your face.
mick
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: What will they do?

Quote:
Quote:

Woodee,
mick

Mick,

I apologize, I'm not one of the challenged, however there are a several who are.

We will begin with middle school games. What are tips to advance?
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 09:54pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: What will they do?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Woodee,
mick

Mick,

I apologize, I'm not one of the challenged, however there are a several who are.

We will begin with middle school games. What are tips to advance?
Woodee,
I am sure you are not challenged by your physicality, but I am willing to bet you are seeing lesser, older, slower, fatter, sloppier officials get better schedules than others.
Bite the bullet. Bite your tongue. Say nothing you do not want repeated.
Ask you assignor what you need to do.

I do not assign. If I did, I would assign by:
  • knowledge,
  • judgement,
  • mechanics,
  • presence,
  • dependability,
  • personality,
  • appearance.

mick