The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Physical Fitness Test (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10246-physical-fitness-test.html)

Samdog Tue Sep 30, 2003 06:45am

Just wondering, how many states have a on field physical fitness test. That is perhaps a mile, 1/2 mile run and possibly some wind sprints. I officiate in NC and we are just in the early stages of installing such test. Next year it will be mandatory for all Varsity officials to take.

zebraman Tue Sep 30, 2003 07:46am

No requirement like that here in WA. We have a hard enough recruiting and retaining new officials - not sure why we would want to introduce a disincentive like that.

Z

JRutledge Tue Sep 30, 2003 08:15am

Never heard of one.

Quote:

Originally posted by Samdog
Just wondering, how many states have a on field physical fitness test. That is perhaps a mile, 1/2 mile run and possibly some wind sprints. I officiate in NC and we are just in the early stages of installing such test. Next year it will be mandatory for all Varsity officials to take.
I do not know why for basketball anyone would want to take an "on-field" physical test. ;)

I have never heard of anyone giving such a test. But if we are making officials take a rules test, which the questions might have little to do with officiating, then why not give a test where it requires some physical activity? At least running is something that they will actually do during a game.

Peace

ChuckElias Tue Sep 30, 2003 08:30am

I don't know if it will be helpful to you, but we just had a long discussion of the FIBA test:

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/10081

We don't have any such test in MA that I know of.

mick Tue Sep 30, 2003 09:49am

Quote:

Samdog,
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like: <LI>there is a surplus of officials in your state; <LI>your state is culling the diseased and lame (<I>Natural selection</I>);<LI> a new director of officials was hired; <LI>state insurance will be covering officials; <LI> your state is going back to two-man games.
:rolleyes:

mick

dblref Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Samdog,
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like: <LI>there is a surplus of officials in your state; <LI>your state is culling the diseased and lame (<I>Natural selection</I>);<LI> a new director of officials was hired; <LI>state insurance will be covering officials; <LI> your state is going back to two-man games.
:rolleyes:

mick

Will be interesting to hear Tony's comments on this as he is also in NC. We don't have anything like this in my area of VA, but might not be such a bad idea.

tomegun Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:34pm

Samdog, as officials we should have a passion for the game. If you have that passion then there is nothing wrong with preparing for the game. If you take care of rules knowledge, dress and appearance, and physical fitness before you step on to the floor you will be more prepared to referee. That is what we should all strive for, to Referee.
I just thought of that. I'm going to try to officiate less and Referee more. Anyone on the rise or on top should know what that means.

mick Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
Samdog, as officials we should have a passion for the game. If you have that passion then there is nothing wrong with preparing for the game. If you take care of rules knowledge, dress and appearance, and physical fitness before you step on to the floor you will be more prepared to referee. That is what we should all strive for, to Referee.
I just thought of that. I'm going to try to officiate less and Referee more. Anyone on the rise or on top should know what that means.

I don't get it.
mick

tomegun Tue Sep 30, 2003 01:23pm

Most people looking to hire/move people up will tell you that they are looking for Referees. U1s and U2s are everywhere. Referees are what they are looking for.

zebraman Tue Sep 30, 2003 03:22pm

Quote:

Quote:

I don't get it.
mick

me neither

Z

mick Tue Sep 30, 2003 03:35pm

Quote:

Most people looking to hire/move people up will tell you that they are looking for Referees. U1s and U2s are everywhere. Referees are what they are looking for.
tomegun,
I have had partners begging, or making a deal, about who is gonna ref, and who is not. I say, "Fine."
mick

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 30, 2003 03:40pm

Quote:

Quote:

tomegun,
I have had partners begging, or making a deal, about who is gonna ref, and who is not. I say, "Fine."
mick

YU.P. Don't mean that you're not gonna take care of business if you have to-just because you're a U.

I think that he might be trying to point out that the colleges are looking for "take charge" officials. Been that way for a long time,actually.You usually don't make it if you aren't.In top-flight games,all 3 officials on the floor will have that attribute.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Sep 30th, 2003 at 03:45 PM]

JRutledge Tue Sep 30, 2003 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

I think that he might be trying to point out that the colleges are looking for "take charge" officials. Been that way for a long time,actually.You usually don't make it if you aren't.

Yeah, what he said. ;)

mick Tue Sep 30, 2003 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

I think that he might be trying to point out that the colleges are looking for "take charge" officials. Been that way for a long time,actually.You usually don't make it if you aren't.

Yeah, what he said. ;)

Okeedokee. I'll maybe try that.

The coach walked over where I stood,
But, I knew that rule <u>and</u> was lookin' good.

<hr>
A "take charge" official may have been defensive
Because he didn't have the ball.

Jurassic Referee Tue Sep 30, 2003 04:08pm

Quote:

[/B]
The coach walked over where I stood,
But, I knew that rule <u>and</u> was lookin' good.
He didn't say anything,though,because he knew I could
T his a$$ up,and he knew that I would!

A "take charge" official may have been defensive
Because he didn't have the ball.
[/B][/QUOTE]Groan-for the last one.