The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HIJAB ISSUE IN MARYLAND PLAYOFF GAME (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102411-hijab-issue-maryland-playoff-game.html)

Rich Mon Mar 20, 2017 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1002978)
Yes, it was insensitive for them to apply the rule.

I guess they'll have to stop calling fouls and violations. Wouldn't want anyone to be offended.

deecee Mon Mar 20, 2017 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1002988)
I guess they'll have to stop calling fouls and violations. Wouldn't want anyone to be offended.

Not these days you don't want to. You could get terrible, terrible tweets about you.

Redneck Ref Mon Mar 20, 2017 04:25pm

I have to agree with Camron Rust. As an evaluator during the state championships I would have marked down the crew without addressing the issue. WA state plays multiple sites and has a state representative during the state championship games that would make a decision on this situation before the game started. It would then be out of the hands of the crew. If you don't follow the rule book and an injury occurs from the hijab during play it puts the crew in a situation where they could be included in a lawsuit. I've heard of instances where the crew was included in lawsuits because they didn't follow the rule book. Don't put your crew in this situation.

deecee Tue Mar 21, 2017 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Ref (Post 1003011)
I have to agree with Camron Rust. As an evaluator during the state championships I would have marked down the crew without addressing the issue. WA state plays multiple sites and has a state representative during the state championship games that would make a decision on this situation before the game started. It would then be out of the hands of the crew. If you don't follow the rule book and an injury occurs from the hijab during play it puts the crew in a situation where they could be included in a lawsuit. I've heard of instances where the crew was included in lawsuits because they didn't follow the rule book. Don't put your crew in this situation.

Can't they just say "other refs didn't enforce the rule" as their defense though?

Rich Tue Mar 21, 2017 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1003049)
Can't they just say "other refs didn't enforce the rule" as their defense though?

Sure, if they want to lose.

CJP Tue Mar 21, 2017 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Ref (Post 1003011)

I guess the sky is falling. Seriously, if our liability was so high then we would be seeing tort claims against officials more common and organized youth sports would cease to exist. Do lawsuits happen? Yes, it happens (after reading your post I did some research). After doing a little research, I would still let this kid play.

I think it is silly to use the threat of a lawsuit here. I mean, I would hate to see a coach out of his box all night long and we ignore it and a kid hits him and get injured. I cannot imagine a serious injury happening as a result of this kid wearing the hijab in the picture that would be more serious than a kid hitting a coach standing on the floor while running full speed. I know - strawman but give me a break. Lawsuit = joke.

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44am

Those who would let this player in the game in violation of a rule are not likely advance in their careers AND are setting themselves up for problems.

deecee Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003061)
Those who would let this player in the game in violation of a rule are not likely advance in their careers AND are setting themselves up for problems.

Now that's a bit dramatic. There are plenty of times we see the uniform rule(s) not applied and those officials, at all levels, seem to do just fine. It all depends on your assignors to be honest. Most don't make such a huge deal over these types of issues. However if they want a reason to cut you you essentially give them a freebie.

CJP Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1003062)
Now that's a bit dramatic. There are plenty of times we see the uniform rule(s) not applied and those officials, at all levels, seem to do just fine. It all depends on your assignors to be honest. Most don't make such a huge deal over these types of issues. However if they want a reason to cut you you essentially give them a freebie.

I agree. If you call a great game then this would not even be a speed bump. On the other spectrum, if an assignor didn't care for you, something like this could effect your assignments or lack thereof.

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03pm

It's surely not the only factor.

But consider that this is a playoff game. You're not just working this for your assignor, but for other potential assignors as well, assignors that work higher levels.

deecee Tue Mar 21, 2017 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003067)
It's surely not the only factor.

But consider that this is a playoff game. You're not just working this for your assignor, but for other potential assignors as well, assignors that work higher levels.

Not really.

At the JV level you see V guys do games where they let this go and you say, "man if I did that game I wouldn't let that happen. Why do they keep getting these games?" At the V level you see JC/D3 guys do games and let this go and say "man if I did that game I wouldn't let that happen. Why do they keep getting these games?" This goes on and on, and the pure fact is NO ONE CARES. IF you can ref the game, manage the coach and the game, and the COACHES trust you YOU DO THE GAMES. The assignor has some power, but if all the coaches get to list 10 guys that they would want working the final four and all the coaches put the same 10-15 guys on that list. GUESS WHAT? The guys working those games will be FROM THAT LIST.

So you can keep thinking that the uniform rule will hold you back, but it wont. It will just be a half ass excuse or reason you are given to (1) not advance or (2) not work any more for an assignor.