The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Play 4- I don't think the defense did anything wrong, charge.
Play 5- Travel, but admittedly, I might miss this one live, that was a pretty quick move.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Play 5- Travel, but admittedly, I might miss this one live, that was a pretty quick move.
That move was sloppy enough that I would have called the travel and have.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 13, 2017 at 03:36pm.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What game?

Peace
Sorry, it would have been the Arizona game late Saturday night pacific time on ESPN.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Broken record time:

Play 5, by rule, is a travel. 99% of spin moves to the basket are travels.

That said, "the game of basketball", in practice, has decided that that is a legal move. And I'm not going to be the only official calling it, so I'm passing just like they did.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

In regards to the travel. As advised by many here, if you need it in super slow mo to pick it up we probably aren't calling it.

I have always been an advocate of getting all of the travels even if it meant getting a couple of close ones wrong. I am aware that is puts me in the minority here in the general officiating universe so I do my best to act as Rome would have me act.

Problem with these sorts of plays is when the dribble ends? If I'm officiating the defense and there is traffic and he starts to pull the ball for a psin dribble then curls his arms/scoops the ball. That can be a hard get . . . back to my intial point. If i'm not sure without replay, most people I work with or for don't want you calling it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Play 4....easy charge. Ignore the announcers. It was way outside the RA and he had LGP for miles. His lateral movement was irrelevant since the shooter was still on the floor.

Play 5. Travel. Left is the pivot on the spin. Steps the the right, then to the left again.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
In regards to the travel. As advised by many here, if you need it in super slow mo to pick it up we probably aren't calling it.

I have always been an advocate of getting all of the travels even if it meant getting a couple of close ones wrong. I am aware that is puts me in the minority here in the general officiating universe so I do my best to act as Rome would have me act.

Problem with these sorts of plays is when the dribble ends? If I'm officiating the defense and there is traffic and he starts to pull the ball for a psin dribble then curls his arms/scoops the ball. That can be a hard get . . . back to my intial point. If i'm not sure without replay, most people I work with or for don't want you calling it.
I spent last March rewinding/reviewing every spin move I saw. None were, technically, legal. It's incredibly difficult/awkward to get that first foot down before ending your dribble. It just doesn't happen that way.

That said, oif neither coach, none of the players, none of the fans and nearly none of my fellow officials think that play is or should be illegal I'm not going to die on that hill.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Finally found these plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
ESPN: With 9:47 to play, Trier(AZ) makes a full-court layup and teammate grabs rim/net as ball still in net. Nothing called but looked like obvious BI.
Play #6:

Quote:
ESPN: With 3:22 (think) to go, drive down left middle and T ref calls a block, via restricted area, on secondary defender. Was the secondary defender in the air or grounded?
Play #7:

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Awesome, thank you. Interested to hear what people think.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
ESPN: With 15:59 remaining in 2nd half, AZ player initially called for a flagrant 1 foul. After review, downgraded to common foul. F1 in my mind.
Play #7:

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Play 6: Technically BI since the ball was in the basket but that and similar plays are often passed on. The ball was in and was not coming out. Any slight contact with the rim at that point was not going to have any effect on the shot.

Play 7 #1. The defender did just just as contact was beginning but I think contact occurred before he left the floor. He didn't really jump to play the ball but did so, halfheartedly, as an afterthought to avoid an RA block. This exposes the flaw in the RA rules with defenders jumping. It adds one more layer of complexity. Did he jump in time and did he really jump?

Play 7 #2. Good downgrade. At most, that was a minor nudge. A foul for sure but not even close to a flagrant 1 IMO.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play #8:

Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Play #8:

Peace
Great call. LGP gained a long time before contact. Moved legally to maintain it. I wish we'd be more consistent with that.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Great call. LGP gained a long time before contact. Moved legally to maintain it. I wish we'd be more consistent with that.
I concur. Sadly, the announcers are totally wrong and that spreads further misinformation to the viewing public.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Bill Walton is BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I concur. Sadly, the announcers are totally wrong and that spreads further misinformation to the viewing public.
To call Bill Walton an announcer is an insult to all announcers... He is terrible. Just talks to hear his own voice and thinks he is funny when he is insulting. I can't watch a game that he is on.

PS: Great call. I love it....

Last edited by wyo96; Mon Mar 13, 2017 at 06:33pm.