The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Forgot B1s Number (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102361-forgot-b1s-number.html)

ref1990 Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24pm

Forgot B1s Number

A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. While headed to the reporting area, the official forgets B1s number and cannot identify him on the court. What rule do you apply if the officials cannot determine who fouled A1?

AremRed Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref1990 (Post 1001796)
A1 drives to the basket and is fouled by B1. While headed to the reporting area, the official forgets B1s number and cannot identify him on the court. What rule do you apply if the officials cannot determine who fouled A1?

Not sure about rule but I can speak to the process. Ask your partners, ask the scorers table, ask the players, ask the coaches in that order. If you still can't figure out the right player then charge a team foul and no player foul.

SNIPERBBB Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:56pm

You can always ask the official scorer...half the time they already recorded it.

frezer11 Tue Mar 07, 2017 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1001798)
Not sure about rule but I can speak to the process. Ask your partners, ask the scorers table, ask the players, ask the coaches in that order. If you still can't figure out the right player then charge a team foul and no player foul.

Thank you, I've never seen this outlined before, in the times I've had to deal with this situation, a partner had it for me as soon as I look confused, and I've often wondered what to do if I didn't have someone there saving my butt.

LRZ Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:15pm

I'm not sure about the wisdom of asking players or coaches. I have no problem with checking with the table, then, failing help there, just recording the team foul. I'd rather live with that than make up who the offender might have been.

Mregor Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:18am

It happens. It has happened to me believe it or not. Last time, I reported it on the dribbler. Table didn't know so I went to the players. They all stood there with nothing. I said, "c'mon fess up or I'm giving it to him (pointing at their best player)." All of a sudden a hand went up, "it was me."

DrPete Mon Mar 13, 2017 08:21pm

I thought I was the only one that ever did this. Had it happen on a high school age rec league and all we could do was report a team foul. Hopefully will have more help from more experienced officials in a higher level game.

BillyMac Mon Mar 13, 2017 08:54pm

Sorry Partner ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 1002342)
Hopefully will have more help from more experienced officials in a higher level game.

Not from me. As the noncalling official, previously paying attention to my primary coverage area, I'm more concerned about figuring out whether, or not, we're shooting free throws, and if not, where the ball will be put into play, and if there will be free throws, who will shoot them, rather than who the fouler is.

DrPete Mon Mar 13, 2017 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1002346)
Not from me. As the noncalling official, previously paying attention to my primary coverage area, I'm more concerned about figuring out whether, or not, we're shooting free throws, and if not, where the ball will be put into play, and if there will be free throws, who will shoot them, rather than who the fouler is.

Hopefully I WILL communicate who is shooting or where the ball will be put in play.

bucky Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref1990 (Post 1001796)

I am not exactly answering the question however, this is why an official is to verbally indicate the offender when a foul occurs. Players and partners can hear it and there is a better chance of recall if you get to the table and forget.

BillyMac Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:46pm

I've Got The Shooter ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 1002349)
Hopefully I WILL communicate who is shooting ...

And I'll make sure that the right player ends up on the line. We've got some real sneaky coaches here in my little corner of Connecticut (not as many since many of the grizzled old timers retired, but we've still got some).