The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Could not have said it better!

Out of Bounds: Parents' actions in the stands hurting the integr - Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 10:02am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
once when his daughter was three-years-old, she came to watch him at a game. The whole first half, the couple next sitting next to the toddler was ripping into him.

Then their tune changed when they asked at halftime who she was there to watch and she pointed to the man with the ball in his hands.
On a similar note, it's also not a great idea for your wife to bring your 2-year-old son to a boys varsity game, sit in the stands next to a bunch of parents, and tell your son: "See Daddy out there on the floor? Wave to Daddy."

My wife actually did that a couple of weeks ago.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Gr8 article! In a recent game I worked, the player [child of a parent in the stands] was aligning him self in a lane space during FT, then some fan shouted out "see who you're boxing out!" The player looked up in the stands and yelled back "stop talking to me dad, I hate it when you come to my games". The gym fell nearly silent and I looked into the stands to see one embarrassed parent.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I was doing a girls varsity game and was preparing to inbound the ball after the 1qtr. All during the intermission a man was complaining about our officiating abilities.
As the girl to inbound the the ball approaches me she says "throw him out!"
Me"what?"
Girl "throw him out! He's my dad and I don't like him at my games. All he does is holler and complain. Throw him out! "
Few minutes later during a time out, I'm near midcourt to inbound, he's hollering again.
I turn around and ask in a loud voice to ensure that he can hear me. " Are you number xx's dad?" He says nothing but the 7 yr old boy sitting next to him says YES.
I ask if he noticed xx & I talking at the start of the qtr. He nodded yes. I tell him that she asked me to throw you out because all you do is holler and complain, she doesn't like you at her games. Oh, she asked twice to throw you out.
He never said another thing.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb View Post
I was doing a girls varsity game and was preparing to inbound the ball after the 1qtr. All during the intermission a man was complaining about our officiating abilities.
Me"what?"
Girl "throw him out! He's my dad and I don't like him at my games. All he does is holler and complain. Throw him out! "
Few minutes later during a time out, I'm near midcourt to inbound, he's hollering again.
I turn around and ask in a loud voice to ensure that he can hear me. " Are you number xx's dad?" He says nothing but the 7 yr old boy sitting next to him says YES.
I ask if he noticed xx & I talking at the start of the qtr. He nodded yes. I tell him that she asked me to throw you out because all you do is holler and complain, she doesn't like you at her games. Oh, she asked twice to throw you out.
+1 Zillion
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb View Post
Me"what?"
Brilliant.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Gr8 article! In a recent game I worked, the player [child of a parent in the stands] was aligning him self in a lane space during FT, then some fan shouted out "see who you're boxing out!" The player looked up in the stands and yelled back "stop talking to me dad, I hate it when you come to my games". The gym fell nearly silent and I looked into the stands to see one embarrassed parent.
A little off topic from sportsmanship, but earlier this season, GV, had a girl at the FT line, and heard a parent yell, "I'll give you 10 bucks if you make it!" The embarrassed shooter yelled back, "Shut up, Mom!" and the gym laughed. She sank the FT, looked up at the stands, and just did the Johnny Manziel Money gesture with her fingers. It was pretty funny.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 04:12pm
High Five Master

I've not had it in basketball but more times than I care to count, in fastpitch, I've had players tell their parents to shut up bc they are embarrassing/not helping etc. pretty sad if your own kid wants you to knock it off.