The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Could not have said it better! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102270-could-not-have-said-better.html)

Refsmitty Fri Feb 17, 2017 09:20am

Could not have said it better!

Out of Bounds: Parents' actions in the stands hurting the integr - Toledo News Now, News, Weather, Sports, Toledo, OH

jTheUmp Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02am

Quote:

once when his daughter was three-years-old, she came to watch him at a game. The whole first half, the couple next sitting next to the toddler was ripping into him.

Then their tune changed when they asked at halftime who she was there to watch and she pointed to the man with the ball in his hands.
On a similar note, it's also not a great idea for your wife to bring your 2-year-old son to a boys varsity game, sit in the stands next to a bunch of parents, and tell your son: "See Daddy out there on the floor? Wave to Daddy."

My wife actually did that a couple of weeks ago. :)

Kansas Ref Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25am

Gr8 article! In a recent game I worked, the player [child of a parent in the stands] was aligning him self in a lane space during FT, then some fan shouted out "see who you're boxing out!" The player looked up in the stands and yelled back "stop talking to me dad, I hate it when you come to my games". The gym fell nearly silent and I looked into the stands to see one embarrassed parent.

illinoisbluezeb Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:18pm

I was doing a girls varsity game and was preparing to inbound the ball after the 1qtr. All during the intermission a man was complaining about our officiating abilities.
As the girl to inbound the the ball approaches me she says "throw him out!"
Me"what?"
Girl "throw him out! He's my dad and I don't like him at my games. All he does is holler and complain. Throw him out! "
Few minutes later during a time out, I'm near midcourt to inbound, he's hollering again.
I turn around and ask in a loud voice to ensure that he can hear me. " Are you number xx's dad?" He says nothing but the 7 yr old boy sitting next to him says YES.
I ask if he noticed xx & I talking at the start of the qtr. He nodded yes. I tell him that she asked me to throw you out because all you do is holler and complain, she doesn't like you at her games. Oh, she asked twice to throw you out.
He never said another thing.

BigT Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb (Post 1000508)
I was doing a girls varsity game and was preparing to inbound the ball after the 1qtr. All during the intermission a man was complaining about our officiating abilities.
Me"what?"
Girl "throw him out! He's my dad and I don't like him at my games. All he does is holler and complain. Throw him out! "
Few minutes later during a time out, I'm near midcourt to inbound, he's hollering again.
I turn around and ask in a loud voice to ensure that he can hear me. " Are you number xx's dad?" He says nothing but the 7 yr old boy sitting next to him says YES.
I ask if he noticed xx & I talking at the start of the qtr. He nodded yes. I tell him that she asked me to throw you out because all you do is holler and complain, she doesn't like you at her games. Oh, she asked twice to throw you out.

+1 Zillion

JRutledge Fri Feb 17, 2017 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb (Post 1000508)
Me"what?"

Brilliant.

Peace

frezer11 Fri Feb 17, 2017 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1000481)
Gr8 article! In a recent game I worked, the player [child of a parent in the stands] was aligning him self in a lane space during FT, then some fan shouted out "see who you're boxing out!" The player looked up in the stands and yelled back "stop talking to me dad, I hate it when you come to my games". The gym fell nearly silent and I looked into the stands to see one embarrassed parent.

A little off topic from sportsmanship, but earlier this season, GV, had a girl at the FT line, and heard a parent yell, "I'll give you 10 bucks if you make it!" The embarrassed shooter yelled back, "Shut up, Mom!" and the gym laughed. She sank the FT, looked up at the stands, and just did the Johnny Manziel Money gesture with her fingers. It was pretty funny.

BlueDevilRef Fri Feb 17, 2017 04:12pm

I've not had it in basketball but more times than I care to count, in fastpitch, I've had players tell their parents to shut up bc they are embarrassing/not helping etc. pretty sad if your own kid wants you to knock it off.