The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   West Virginia @ Kansas (Video 4 plays) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102256-west-virginia-kansas-video-4-plays.html)

JRutledge Tue Feb 14, 2017 01:43am

West Virginia @ Kansas (Video 4 plays)

Video #1: Three Different

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oYHI2L2D4fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/brHZAZQN-vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

bucky Tue Feb 14, 2017 02:48am

Play 1: Ref signaled player control foul. ???

Play 2: If ref being so strict on count and it being very close to release of thrower, why didn't he see defender clearly break plane? Too bad as it took a possession away from the inbounding team.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 14, 2017 07:01am

Video #1, Play #1

I am a KU fan and I had trouble finding a foul. It looked most contact we see at the Division I. Of course it is 07:00am in the morning and I can't see straight yet, :p.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 14, 2017 08:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1000193)
I am a KU fan and I had trouble finding a foul. It looked most contact we see at the Division I. Of course it is 07:00am in the morning and I can't see straight yet, :p.

MTD, Sr.

I agree that, in practice, there is much more contact allowed during throw-ins than during "normal" play. I still think these were all good fouls.

(And, -- should more contact be allowed? is this the next POE -- or did NCAAM come out with a directive recently?)

Dale3 Tue Feb 14, 2017 08:59am

Throw in video question - what are your thoughts on when the official starts his count? I feel like I see teams all the time take their time to pick up the ball after a made basket to give their press break time to set up (Duke does this all the time vs a pressing team).

It appears the ball just bounces straight into his lap after the made basket, then he drops it, count starts. Once he picks it up again and is ready to throw it in, he only has 3 seconds left.

I feel like the benefit of the doubt usually goes to the team throwing it in, not in this case.

Rich Tue Feb 14, 2017 09:11am

I think the new lead should've made the plane violation (or a 5-second call) from half court.

Raymond Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale3 (Post 1000198)
Throw in video question - what are your thoughts on when the official starts his count? I feel like I see teams all the time take their time to pick up the ball after a made basket to give their press break time to set up (Duke does this all the time vs a pressing team).

It appears the ball just bounces straight into his lap after the made basket, then he drops it, count starts. Once he picks it up again and is ready to throw it in, he only has 3 seconds left.

I feel like the benefit of the doubt usually goes to the team throwing it in, not in this case.

And I feel teams are allowed to get away with this far too often. The WVU player had the ball at his disposal and chose to drop the ball in hopes the official wouldn't start his count. He chose wrong.

stripes Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1000189)

While this signal is widely used as a PC, it is the team control signal...I believe that is what he was going with.

BryanV21 Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1000212)
And I feel teams are allowed to get away with this far too often. The WVU player had the ball at his disposal and chose to drop the ball in hopes the official wouldn't start his count. He chose wrong.

Yes!

The official was right to start the count when he did. Now, I think there was a plane violation as well, but he didn't start his throw-in count earlier.

crosscountry55 Tue Feb 14, 2017 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1000195)
I agree that, in practice, there is much more contact allowed during throw-ins than during "normal" play. I still think these were all good fouls.

True, but still not as much as is allowed during free throws.

Agree in general that these were all good calls.

As for the five-second call, I loved the T's count until his last tick, which I felt was a little rushed IOT "get" the violation.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Feb 14, 2017 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1000234)
True, but still not as much as is allowed during free throws.

Agree in general that these were all good calls.

As for the five-second call, I loved the T's count until his last tick, which I felt was a little rushed IOT "get" the violation.

I thought that the first time I watched it too. Then I watched it again, and it looked like it was timed the same, he just whipped the arm quick so he could get the other one up. Just how it looked to me though, and I'm not claiming to be a guru.

dbogcpa Tue Feb 14, 2017 03:16pm

Look closely in the 5 second call video, Bill Self is standing 2 feet from the official calling the count for him

AremRed Tue Feb 14, 2017 03:24pm

Play 1: First one is a little light, but other are defendable on video.

Play 2: Clearly missed plane violation, and he only gave 4.5 counts. Clearly speeds up his last count.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 14, 2017 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1000189)

Play 2: If ref being so strict on count and it being very close to release of thrower, why didn't he see defender clearly break plane? Too bad as it took a possession away from the inbounding team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 1000220)
While this signal is widely used as a PC, it is the team control signal...I believe that is what he was going with.

Are we sure we're looking at the official that actually called the foul....it was the C from across the court. It looked like he called a hold to me. The T was just swining a 5 count with the arm going straight out, not a foul.

bucky Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 1000220)

For NCAAM, I do not agree that a hand behind the head is a team control foul mechanic. Page 142 of the current NCAAM rule book agrees with me.