The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:08pm

Blarge Question And NFHS Response

Sooooo, I decided to send the whole case play, etc to Theresia Wynns and this is what I got (maybe the horse is FINALLY dead):

4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official rules a blocking foul on B1 and the other official rules a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)

Mrs. Wynns:

I am a NFHS basketball official in Delaware. I am writing in regard to the case play listed above. It is my understanding that recently the NFHS has said that, in the play above, the two officials should get together, discuss the play, and then decide which foul to report. I am confused given the case play which states both fouls must be reported as a double foul.

I understand in a live game situation where both officials signal a foul on this type of play with JUST a fist in the air and no preliminary signal, one official will more likely than not drop and let the other official take the call. That is not my question.

My question is what should happen, by rule, if one official blows the whistle and demonstratively signals a blocking foul (hands to hips) and the other official blows the whistle and demonstratively signals a player control foul (hand to back of head) AT THE SAME TIME at the moment contact occurs?

The case play seems pretty clear that this would be a double foul situation by rule and interpretation and there is no justification for getting together and discussing which foul to report and which foul not to report.

Thank you in advance or your time and consideration

Theresia Wynns via appriver3651010340.onmicrosoft.com

4:00 PM (1 minute ago)

Walt,

If two officials rule fouls and they are opposite, they must rule double foul, report both fouls, shoot no free throws and put the ball in play at the point of interruption.

Theresia D. Wynns

Director of Sports and Officials

National Federation of State High School Associations

PO Box 690 | Indianapolis, IN 46206

317-972-6900
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Mic drop. Exeunt.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sometimes it depends on how the question is worded.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Her answer was curt enough as to indicate that she has probably answered this question more than once recently.

But nice to have this put to bed. If they ever change the procedure to be more like NCAAW, I'd be ok with that, too. I really don't care either way.

Nine years, zero blarges. Knock on wood.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Different Preliminary Signals ...

Great question walt. Everything was laid out in front of her, including the infamous case play, and she responded the only way she could, with the same response as the caseplay.

I like that you included in the question the fact that the two officials gave different preliminary signals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:33pm

I wish they'd go to the NCAA-W scenario too but until that happens, now we know.

Hopefully back to more interesting play discussions!
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Blarge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Nine years, zero blarges. Knock on wood.
Thirty-six years for me. Zero blarges.

I've come close a few times, when I don't hear my partner's whistle due to the crowd noise, and I try to sell my call with a great preliminary signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 13, 2017 at 04:46pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I was in the middle of one this year. My second that I can remember since moving to Wisconsin 15 years ago.

I got over it. Both times.

Some good officials, ones better than me, have had blarges.

Just like an inadvertent whistle in football, it's something that shouldn't happen, but does. When it does happen, there needs to be a clear, specific resolution to it. There is.

I still predict that JAR will pin his interpretation on the word "rules" and say that a preliminary signal is different. He would be wrong and everyone else should simply ignore him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thirty-six years for me. Zero blarges.

I've come close a few times, when I don't hear my partner's whistle due to the crowd noise, and I try to sell my call with a great preliminary signal.
It's easy to not have a blarge in 2-whistle games.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 04:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Mic drop. Exeunt.
Dare I say, Deus Vult?
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 05:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well, that settles what the NF appears to think (as if that was not the only evidence of their position).

Maybe a certain poster can move on when this is discussed again (and it will be).

Peace
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was going to suggest Deus Ex Machina, but that might be a bit of a stretch.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 05:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I still predict that JAR will pin his interpretation on the word "rules" and say that a preliminary signal is different. He would be wrong and everyone else should simply ignore him.
I recognized this possibility as well right away. Unfortunately Mrs. Wynns did not specifically equate "rules" with "signals" which I believe will not dissuade the debate.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 06:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I recognized this possibility as well right away. Unfortunately Mrs. Wynns did not specifically equate "rules" with "signals" which I believe will not dissuade the debate.
In the context of her email and the question as posed, I'm not sure there's really any other logical way to read it.

That said, if your state governing authority wants you to do it the NCAAW way, have at it. NFHS is clear.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 06:55pm

Would this play require anything different in the ruling or approach?

From C’s primary A1 drives along the baseline and he jumps and releases the ball on a try. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. The C signals a charge based on his view that B1 had established legal guarding position. The L, who is still on the other side of the lane, signals a block. His view included B1’s foot being placed on the out of bounds line as B1 attempted to establish legal guarding position and remaining there when contact was made.

Last edited by sj; Mon Feb 13, 2017 at 07:00pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2017, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Would this play require anything different in the ruling or approach?

From C’s primary A1 drives along the baseline and he jumps and releases the ball on a try. Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. The C signals a charge based on his view that B1 had established legal guarding position. The L, who is still on the other side of the lane, signals a block. His view included B1’s foot which was on the out of bounds line when contact was made.
I think this is different, the double foul is not necessary if one official is able to offer additional information that would invalidate a call by rule. Similar to how NCAA-M can change a call if an official has definite knowledge that a defender is in the RA, and they do not have to go double foul.