The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Purdue - IU Blarge

Anybody see this game last night?

In particular this play the ruled a double foul and both bigs for each team picked up their 5th PF.

I don't officiate NCAA but I am curious what the forum thinks of the play. What do you have and also, how can they rule double foul here? Is it because L called block and C had player control? Is there something in the rule book that allows that....

Bryant and Swanigan foul out on double foul - ESPN Video

Sorry - I don't know how to put the video in the post other than linking it.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 08:26am
High Five Master

NFHS and NCAA men's rule this as a double foul bc of opposing calls by two officials. In NCAA women's, can conference to attempt to get correct call.

IMO, women's game has the correct thinking. To me, it is 100% impossible to have a block and a PC. One happened and one didn't. We should have ability by rule to try to get it right.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Should have been a charge. Double is right by rule given what the officials did.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I too felt it was player control foul...I didn't watch every minute of the game but I guess these guys had a rough night. Missed Haas from PU raking one of IUs bigs that left him on the floor and they went to the other end and played 14 seconds before a whistle. There was also a ball in the cylinder that got swatted back out top that probably should have been GT or BI.

Someone also pointed out in the Minnesota game from Weds a kid stepped clearly OOB and the official on the baseline (don't know if he was L or they were transitioning to T) missed it.

Rough week for B1G officiating crews...but hey, those guys are there for a reason.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

The lead official never signals does he? Why break into jail here and cause all this indecision? C banged the PC right away, just let him take it! I had it as a PC all the way BTW. Edit to add; yes he did, he gave the one arm block signal, which I have to say is new to me.

Who's call should this be? Shouldn't the C wait on this? For NFHS can one of us "pick up our flag" and defer to the other?

Last edited by ballgame99; Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 09:07am.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The lead official never signals does he? Why break into jail here and cause all this indecision? C banged the PC right away, just let him take it! I had it as a PC all the way BTW. Edit to add; yes he did, he gave the one arm block signal, which I have to say is new to me.

Who's call should this be? Shouldn't the C wait on this?
He's got one hand up, and the other indicating a block. It's an odd mechanic.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I had a charge when I saw it live last night on TV. From the perspective of one who only does NF level games, I have indeed been party to rare instances when one official called a block and the other a charge; however, we conferenced and resolved it as either but never issued a "double foul". Furthermore, as I recall our own conferences were quite brief as compared to the lengthy process of "locating dance partners" that occurred in the case under study.

Also, this is my first time seeing a half-way block [i.e., one fist up and hand on hip] by the L. Is this some new mechanic that those of you who ref college are doing now?

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 09:59am.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I had a charge when I saw it live last night on TV. From the perspective of one who only does NF level games, I have indeed been party to rare instances when one official called a block and the other a charge; however, we conferenced and resolved it as either but never issued a "double foul". Furthermore, as I recall our own conferences were quite brief as compared to the lengthy process of "locating dance partners" that occurred in the case under study.

Also, this is my first time to see this mechanic of a half-way block [i.e., one fist up and hand on hip] by the L. Is this something new that those of you who ref college are doing now?
I can't speak to the mechanic, but it looked like he was in a hurry to get the call off. Maybe wanted to be the first to make a call so the C doesn't go fishing in his pond. The interesting thing is didn't the matchup start in T's primary? Good thing he held off, or they might have had 3 whistles.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I had a charge when I saw it live last night on TV. From the perspective of one who only does NF level games, I have indeed been party to rare instances when one official called a block and the other a charge; however, we conferenced and resolved it as either but never issued a "double foul".
By rule, you may not do this.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

My FB feed was pretty funny last night with this (being in the heart of IU and Purdue country...all the while being a Michigan fan).....of course all the IU faithful were crying for block and all the Purdue folks saying charge...

I was in the PU camp, I thought Swanigan played it perfect and Bryant lowered his shoulder. Bad angle for the L...
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
By rule, you may not do this.
That's a good reason to always be patient on signals in gray areas. Whenever I work with new partners, the R usually brings up to make sure we have eye contact on double whistles so we don't have blarges. Double whistles shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does and you've just got to be good communicators.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I love Leads reaction when he sees C's call. Shouldnt they have sent teams to the bench?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I love Leads reaction when he sees C's call. Shouldnt they have sent teams to the bench?
I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the huddle/post game. L looked pretty heated, enough that it appeared T went to him to calm him down.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
That's a good reason to always be patient on signals in gray areas. Whenever I work with new partners, the R usually brings up to make sure we have eye contact on double whistles so we don't have blarges. Double whistles shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does and you've just got to be good communicators.
as many stated already...
NFHS Case Book 4.19.8 Situation C
many argue that you have to get together and decide, but you must by rule go with the double personal foul.

on your note...i look at it differently. there is nothing wrong with double whistles. they happen and will always happen. but there is A LOT wrong with double preliminary signals. but you are right. pregame it and JUST BE PATIENT. slow down and post. pass it off to the PCA official or claim it and be strong.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 11:11am
The Whistle of Justice

So let's talk about administration after the fact. Notice the bucket was good off the shot as well (but not released before the call). Report both fouls, count the bucket for 2 for IU but no FT?, ball goes to Purdue at POI? or is it report both fouls, no bucket (not released), go to team in possession at POI?

Last edited by ReffingAce; Fri Feb 10, 2017 at 11:19am.
Closed Thread