Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

VCU at St Bon end of regulation

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/st...235526854.html
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

The ruling is clearly correct, let me start with that. But this is one of those rules that annoys me that it is different for the men's and women's game. If this was a women's game, they get 2 free throws, and we might not even need overtime. Why should that rule be different? There is no justification that I can make any sense of as to why the men's and women's game have different penalties for something like this. And I'm fine with it being 1 shot by the way, but the women's game should adopt that as well, or vice-versa.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

The reasoning is simple. If you give them 1 shot for things like these, this will likely be enforced. Many officials before would try not to penalize the situation because the penalty in their mind was too harsh. And the reason Men and Women basketball are different because they have two different committees and they want their own game and rules. I really do not care what women basketball does at all, I do not work it. There are already a lot of differences already, why does this have to be the same?

Peace
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

The interesting part of this situation to me is that VCU in-bounds the ball and chucks up 3 quarter court shot before the court storming. The Trail even chops the clock on this inbound.

At that time there were only 10 players on the court and 2 cameramen for some reason. Although it does appear that the C is trying to hold up play.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale3 View Post
The interesting part of this situation to me is that VCU in-bounds the ball and chucks up 3 quarter court shot before the court storming. The Trail even chops the clock on this inbound.

At that time there were only 10 players on the court and 2 cameramen for some reason. Although it does appear that the C is trying to hold up play.
?? What are you looking at? The ball is bouncing away on the endline while the court is being stormed. There is no one from VCU even remotely near the ball.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Officials to be disciplined

Atlantic 10's Clarification of the VCU-St. Bonaventure End-of-Game Officiating Statement

Although the game officials cited crowd interference as the rationale for assessing the administrative technical foul at the end of regulation in the VCU-St. Bonaventure men's basketball game, that interpretation was inaccurately associated with the SBU students and fans storming the court during regulation.

The administrative technical foul was assessed for multiple reasons. The most significant was an individual taking the game ball from the inbounding baseline (assuming time had expired) and walking down the sideline, causing the VCU player to look for the ball, and chase the individual to secure the ball for inbound. Simultaneously, one of the game officials collided with a fan on the court, prior to the inbound toss. It was after these violations that the clock expired, and the students and fans stormed the court with :00 on the clock.

As a result of this mis-representation of the administrative technical foul assessed to St. Bonaventure, which reflected poorly on the SBU student body, the officiating crew will be disciplined for not immediately stopping the game for disruption of play.

There were an unfortunate series of events in this game, which impacted both institutions and the A-10 ... thus, the conference will continue to work with all involved including the game officials for stronger game management in the future.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Atlantic 10's Clarification of the VCU-St. Bonaventure End-of-Game Officiating Statement

Although the game officials cited crowd interference as the rationale for assessing the administrative technical foul at the end of regulation in the VCU-St. Bonaventure men's basketball game, that interpretation was inaccurately associated with the SBU students and fans storming the court during regulation.

The administrative technical foul was assessed for multiple reasons. The most significant was an individual taking the game ball from the inbounding baseline (assuming time had expired) and walking down the sideline, causing the VCU player to look for the ball, and chase the individual to secure the ball for inbound. Simultaneously, one of the game officials collided with a fan on the court, prior to the inbound toss. It was after these violations that the clock expired, and the students and fans stormed the court with :00 on the clock.

As a result of this mis-representation of the administrative technical foul assessed to St. Bonaventure, which reflected poorly on the SBU student body, the officiating crew will be disciplined for not immediately stopping the game for disruption of play.

There were an unfortunate series of events in this game, which impacted both institutions and the A-10 ... thus, the conference will continue to work with all involved including the game officials for stronger game management in the future.

Wow that is harsh. Disciplined for trying to convert a dump truck full of chaos into a two-line media statement.

Proves yet again why it's best to say nothing at all to anyone except your assignor/commissioner after something like this.

Silence can't be quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Better video that fully captures the chaos.

Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
?? What are you looking at? The ball is bouncing away on the endline while the court is being stormed. There is no one from VCU even remotely near the ball.
Quote:
Better video that fully captures the chaos.

Ah ha! Very different from the POV in the article, my apologies for my earlier post. Now that I've seen this one, I think there is some justification for disciplinary action of the officials. Especially with the ball being brought down the endline like that. I do still think an admin. T may be warranted, but not for the original reason cited.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I see a player having to chase the ball down from some guy and then tries to inbound the ball.

I have seen other plays where that was a T. So is it being suggested that they do nothing?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I see a player having to chase the ball down from some guy and then tries to inbound the ball.

I have seen other plays where that was a T. So is it being suggested that they do nothing?

Peace
There's a lot here to get, but supposing there weren't. Basket is made, and the ball deflected to a fan. Thinking the game is over he doesn't immediately hand it to the inbounding team or toss it to an official. Technical foul on the home team? Never in a game I've seen(*). Usually, if the ball gets away to a fan you blow it dead and then give it to the inbounding team.

(*) This isn't my sport and I just lurk here so maybe this is right, but it doesn't match my observation.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2017, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

growing up in the area, i'm sort of a Bonnies fan by default...so a lot of interest here, but more with the situation and how to learn from it as an official.

i'm 50/50 on this one though.
this crew had a decision to make here:
go by the book, black & white OR give a little leeway given the situation and go with a more common sense approach.
and after getting together and discussing, they decided to go by the book. and as previously posted they went with the call where the rule was changed to 1 FT instead of 2 like it is on the Women's side...so that officials would be more apt to enforce it. so they do that, and could still end up getting punished. it's a no win situation really...tough one to stomach for the Bona. but could've been a tough one for VCU had it played out the other way...
Old Wed Feb 08, 2017, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Officials should have blown the play dead when cameraman came on the court. Everything else would have been moot. Additionally, VCU's coach was requesting a TO at the time that no one noticed.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Officials should have blown the play dead when cameraman came on the court. Everything else would have been moot. Additionally, VCU's coach was requesting a TO at the time that no one noticed.
saw that too.
i'm not sure if he's asking for a timeout or a technical foul to be called...but they did have 1 left, and you would think that would be a good time to use it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
There's a lot here to get, but supposing there weren't. Basket is made, and the ball deflected to a fan. Thinking the game is over he doesn't immediately hand it to the inbounding team or toss it to an official. Technical foul on the home team? Never in a game I've seen(*). Usually, if the ball gets away to a fan you blow it dead and then give it to the inbounding team.

(*) This isn't my sport and I just lurk here so maybe this is right, but it doesn't match my observation.
Never?

Not a fan, but a cheerleader. Also the NCAA supported this decision as well.

Peace