The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional on made basket- NFHS

... is still 2 shots and ball, correct? Looking at 10-7-4, and I can't find an exception for a made basket. Coach was adamant it was only one shot. Was going to send video to state and assignor.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Correct.

Always nice when a coach sends in video showing you doing the right thing!
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Yes. I've called this at least twice myself.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had it so I was questioning myself until I read the rule book. Thanks for the confirmation, guys.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

In the case book, it specifically covers this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

The only time an intentional foul is NOT two shots is when it's on a missed 3-pointer (in which case, it's 3 shots, obviously).
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
The only time an intentional foul is NOT two shots is when it's on a missed 3-pointer (in which case, it's 3 shots, obviously).
Which I have never seen. Yet.

I did, however, see a first half video once of a Coach getting a T while an opponent was winding up for a three. Then he got intentionally fouled in the act of shooting said three. And the three was good!

Enjoy figuring out how to administer that penalty sequence (bonus points if you can successfully describe it under both NFHS and NCAA rules....heck, throw FIBA in there as well).
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 03:34am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Which I have never seen. Yet.

I did, however, see a first half video once of a Coach getting a T while an opponent was winding up for a three. Then he got intentionally fouled in the act of shooting said three. And the three was good!

Enjoy figuring out how to administer that penalty sequence (bonus points if you can successfully describe it under both NFHS and NCAA rules....heck, throw FIBA in there as well).
NFHS:

Answering without the book:

False multiple foul, enforce penalties in order of occurrence. The three point basket counts. Two free throws for the technical by anybody on offense. Then the fouled shooter will shoot two free throws for the intentional foul. The offense then gets the ball out of bounds nearest the spot of the foul. A potential 7 point play plus the ball!
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

CB 4.19.3 Situation A(a): an intentional foul on A1 in the act of shooting a successful 3 point shot = 2 FTs + throw-in.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
NFHS:

False multiple foul, enforce penalties in order of occurrence. The three point basket counts. Two free throws for the technical by anybody on offense. Then the fouled shooter will shoot two free throws for the intentional foul. The offense then gets the ball out of bounds nearest the spot of the foul. A potential 7 point play plus the ball!

Yup! And I think you're right. When I watched the video, it dawned on me that---in NFHS, anyway---this would be the super rare time where you'd penalize the T first on a false multiple foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Yup! And I think you're right. When I watched the video, it dawned on me that---in NFHS, anyway---this would be the super rare time where you'd penalize the T first on a false multiple foul.
You could have a T, followed by a foul during the throw-in. That's a false multiple foul, with the T administered first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
NFHS:

Same (generally) in NCAA -- but for different reasons.