The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 10:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
That's because some ignorant ref the night before called it a travel. Like the partner I had Friday. Along with several other bs stuff like when he had a jump ball and I had a TO before the jump, he said No when I relayed that to him. Or like when he made the kid take off his tights because he only had one legged tights, or he reports foul and the number is not on floor so picks a kid and it's their 5th and I have to deal with the coach because he has no idea of who the foul is on, or ....

Get in, Get Done, Get Out.

On the timeout, just hit the whistle and enforce the timeout, saying, "timeout before the held ball." Sometimes guys like that you just have to steamroll.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2017, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Had this exact thing happen in my game Friday night. Coach was all over me for it. All I could say was "That's not a travel, coach."

As long as you three (or two) know the rule literally nothing else matters.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2017, 04:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I would like to see NFHS adopt the football "bobbling the ball" mechanic for such situations.
That works great until C comes in from across the court with a whistle and the traveling signal.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 11:33am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Well, of course he did! I like to ask the coach in those situations (in which my partners know the rule ), "Coach, can you tell me what the distance is, in the rule book?" Cause, there is a distance (not actually in the rule book, but, I believe it would be about 106.5 feet).

This assumes a player would commence his dive at one corner of a 50x94 foot court and stop just prior to going out of bounds at the corner diagonal to the start of his dive.....and the co-efficient of friction does not stop him prior to reaching the corner...also assumes his own momentum carried him off the court (otherwise a violation could have been called) and he came back onto the court going at a very high rate of speed.
Love it... I just wish I could condense this down enough to use it on a coach.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That works great until C comes in from across the court with a whistle and the traveling signal.
I only use this "signal" when the play has ended and there is no danger of a partner doing that. I also usually only do it when I hear feedback in the air from fans/players/coaches about the non-whistle.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 12:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

And then we go POI with an IW.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, yes, I suppose it is much better to have C come in with a travel call on a bobbled ball.....
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No different than C coming in with a backcourt violation in a situation in which the trail is signaling the tipped ball (with the signal) that put it back there....
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Speaking of no pants, we had a streaker during a varsity game enough years ago that we were working 2-person. Male senior student, naked as the day he was born, ran from one corner of the gym across the floor and out the other corner.

Every time I go there that STILL comes up in conversation.
This happened at a game a few years ago. It wasn't my game but my wife was there and saw it. Kid from the home school came running in one corner of the gym, ran across the court, and out the door on the other side. They tracked him down in the woods next to the school in some state of undress.

Quote:
I would like to see NFHS adopt the football "bobbling the ball" mechanic for such situations.
I do it to the bench when they're convinced it's a travel.

Ignorant fans and coaches are a problem with that rule, but they got that way because some officials call that a travel A LOT. Then when someone doesn't call it he's the bad guy.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2017, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
No different than C coming in with a backcourt violation in a situation in which the trail is signaling the tipped ball (with the signal) that put it back there....
This is why I always correct newer officials who use the tipped ball signal on a blocked shot. I know when I first started I did that a few times, and it bit me in the butt a few times. You feel like a pretty big idiot while you're up there showing a tipped ball signal and your partner is calling a foul. Only takes a couple of those (or really, just one) to teach you to not use that signal inappropriately!
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

We had one of these slides last night. The kid was really barreling and slid quite a ways. Of course the other coach wanted travelling. I said he could slide as far as it took to stop.

The coach smiled and said he was going to work on that at practice tomorrow.