The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 09:31am
Courageous When Prudent

This is why I'm a total a$$hole towards players who put sh!t into the game. Had one last night. I get right in their face, eye-to-eye, and tell them in no uncertain terms that it will not be tolerated. I make sure everyone in the gym notices it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 10:02am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
True...and how many veteran officials have ever had any experience with a situation like that. I know I haven't (in almost 25 years) and I know most of my peers haven't. It is likely that, if it happens, no on on the crew will have experience with such a situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
16 years for me and I've been lucky so far. One of my D3 conferences just had a fight and the game finished with only the two head coaches and 10 players. Everybody else was sent to the locker rooms.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

35 years ago; Los Angeles, California; Boys' H.S. Varsity (two-man crew back then; we are a substitute crew and I am the U) between Home (from upper class community) and Visitors (middle class community): Early in the 2nd QT V1 drives in for a layup and is fouled (routine PF) by H1 across his shooting arm. I am the calling official and right on top of the play. As I am scoring V1's basket, V1 cold cocks H1 into the wall just about knocking him out. V1 is gone on a FPF, followed by his HC on a FTF for going Death Star on me for disqualifying V1. Game continues without incident. Close game with the Visitors up by 6 points with 2:23 left in the game when H2 goes in for a layup on a fast break when V2 commits an IPF against H2. I am the L on the play and before I can even get my whistle out of my mouth fans from both schools swarm the court. My partner and I huddle at the S/T and he asks me what should we do (my partner has 6 years experience and I have 11 years). I tell him to grab the Scorebook and lets get to the dressing room. We tell the Home AD to give us 10 minutes alone to discuss the situation. We decide to suspend the game, write a game report, and let the CIF-South Section to sort everything out.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 11:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is why I'm a total a$$hole towards players who put sh!t into the game.
Seems like our Association has had more than its share of incidents this season. Wonder why that is? Last night we discussed situations a bit during our pre-game.

Then my partner warned a kid about running his mouth and chattering. Later in the game I had to whack a player for getting up in another player's face and chest bumping him......right before a FT!

Seems like it's one of those seasons.......
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
35 years ago; Los Angeles, California; Boys' H.S. Varsity (two-man crew back then; we are a substitute crew and I am the U) between Home (from upper class community) and Visitors (middle class community): Early in the 2nd QT V1 drives in for a layup and is fouled (routine PF) by H1 across his shooting arm. I am the calling official and right on top of the play. As I am scoring V1's basket, V1 cold cocks H1 into the wall just about knocking him out. V1 is gone on a FPF, followed by his HC on a FTF for going Death Star on me for disqualifying V1. Game continues without incident. Close game with the Visitors up by 6 points with 2:23 left in the game when H2 goes in for a layup on a fast break when V2 commits an IPF against H2. I am the L on the play and before I can even get my whistle out of my mouth fans from both schools swarm the court. My partner and I huddle at the S/T and he asks me what should we do (my partner has 6 years experience and I have 11 years). I tell him to grab the Scorebook and lets get to the dressing room. We tell the Home AD to give us 10 minutes alone to discuss the situation. We decide to suspend the game, write a game report, and let the CIF-South Section to sort everything out.

MTD, Sr.
What was the purpose of grabbing the scorebook and leaving with it??
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 02:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
What was the purpose of grabbing the scorebook and leaving with it??

We wrote (in ink) the conditions under which we suspended the game: time, H2 and V2, and such. It just seemed the correct thing to do at the time.

I have been extremely lucky, 46 years of boys'/girls H.S., 34 years of women's college, 15 years of men's college, over 40 AAU and YBOA boys'/girls' nationals, and that is the only (knock on wood or my head whichever you choose, ) such incident I have encountered. But I do have another story about a fight during a game that did not involve me. But that is a story for another time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
We wrote (in ink) the conditions under which we suspended the game: time, H2 and V2, and such. It just seemed the correct thing to do at the time.

I have been extremely lucky, 46 years of boys'/girls H.S., 34 years of women's college, 15 years of men's college, over 40 AAU and YBOA boys'/girls' nationals, and that is the only (knock on wood or my head whichever you choose, ) such incident I have encountered. But I do have another story about a fight during a game that did not involve me. But that is a story for another time.

MTD, Sr.
OK - It's another time!