The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisiana Tech finishes with only 4 players after brawl w/ UAB (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102176-louisiana-tech-finishes-only-4-players-after-brawl-w-uab.html)

grunewar Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:37am

Louisiana Tech finishes with only 4 players after brawl w/ UAB

Louisiana Tech finishes with only 4 players after all others ejected for fighting | For The Win

Probably better footage out there.

I guess it's easier to eject players when you go to the monitor and see almost everyone on the floor.....

Bad Zebra Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:13am

That's a nightmare scenario for me (Fed rule set). No monitors...and little or no experience among crew with this exact scenario.

bossman72 Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 998750)
That's a nightmare scenario for me (Fed rule set). No monitors...and little or no experience among crew with this exact scenario.

Almost impossible to get numbers in a brawl like that.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 998750)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 998751)
Almost impossible to get numbers in a brawl like that.

True...and how many veteran officials have ever had any experience with a situation like that. I know I haven't (in almost 25 years) and I know most of my peers haven't. It is likely that, if it happens, no on on the crew will have experience with such a situation.

BigT Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:23pm

What if the bench I am closest to I start yell I dont want to toss! Stay back! rinse and repeat.

Good bad...? I hope I never have one of these...

Rich Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998764)
True...and how many veteran officials have ever had any experience with a situation like that. I know I haven't (in almost 25 years) and I know most of my peers haven't. It is likely that, if it happens, no on on the crew will have experience with such a situation.

In the end, I'm going to try to get numbers of those who stay on the bench -- and I'll probably fail miserably.

It's the kind of situation where if there was video, I'd be tempted to use it.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998771)
In the end, I'm going to try to get numbers of those who stay on the bench -- and I'll probably fail miserably.

It's the kind of situation where if there was video, I'd be tempted to use it.

I've heard it said that a good idea in this type of situation is to head straight to the table and tell the scorer to start noting numbers as you say them.

rockyroad Fri Jan 27, 2017 01:14pm

Had a fight in a JC game years back. Luckily was working with a very experienced guy who did exactly what Camron said - he went to the table and started calling out numbers to the table crew. Every number he called was a player involved. Worked out great. I think I just stood there with a "WTF" look on my face the whole time.

Welpe Fri Jan 27, 2017 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998772)
I've heard it said that a good idea in this type of situation is to head straight to the table and tell the scorer to start noting numbers as you say them.

I'm filing that one away for later use. Hopefully I never need it.

Thanks Camron!

griblets Fri Jan 27, 2017 02:02pm

I've been involved in a game like this. A fight started after an intentional foul about a minute into the game. The teams were destined to fight.

I was 24 years old with 4 years of experience at the time. It was complete chaos in the moment. I couldn't identify anyone except the intentional foul by B1 and the first swing by A1 after the intentional. Both were in my primary on a breakaway. Fortunately, I had a very experienced partner who helped sort through the mess.

I'll be better prepared for the next time (hopefully there isn't another). I'll will do exactly as you mention - straight to the scorer's table and start calling out numbers.

BlueDevilRef Fri Jan 27, 2017 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 998774)
I'm filing that one away for later use. Hopefully I never need it.

Thanks Camron!

THIS is why I am member here. Great idea and hopefully it never happens to any of us but if it does I hope we all remember this advice

johnny d Fri Jan 27, 2017 04:06pm

I would bet most schools only go about 8 deep, maybe less. Therefore, most of the players on the bench will still have their warmup jersey on making calling out numbers of bench participants unlikely.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 27, 2017 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 998789)
I would bet most schools only go about 8 deep, maybe less. Therefore, most of the players on the bench will still have their warmup jersey on making calling out numbers of bench participants unlikely.

True. But perhaps you could at least get some identifying element other than a number that you can later correlate to the number.

grunewar Fri Jan 27, 2017 04:55pm

Update

Different angle here. The ref gets in there.......

Jacobi Boykins, Hakeem Baxter each suspended 1 game after wild Louisiana Tech Bulldogs-UAB Blazers brawl

(If anyone can pull the video and cut the advert it would be great)

Raymond Sat Jan 28, 2017 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 998764)

16 years for me and I've been lucky so far. One of my D3 conferences just had a fight and the game finished with only the two head coaches and 10 players. Everybody else was sent to the locker rooms.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk