The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Fashion Police Solution

I am not certain if this has been discussed or not, but I have a simple solution for us being the "Fashion Police".

If a player enters the game with an illegal head or wrist band, an illegal leg or arm sleeve or jewelry, If a player has their waist band turned down ot is wearing their pants too low, it's an in direct "T" to the head coach. 2 shots and the ball for the other team.

That would end the problem.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

while that would be fun...unfortunately coaches have more to worry about than how their kids dress for games and what their parents are buying them.

i've had this discussion with a lot of coaches as i get sick of taking care of everything, game in and game out...
truth is, a lot of coaches tell their players what not to wear/what not to do....and because they are kids, they do it anyway.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 02:50pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I am not certain if this has been discussed or not, but I have a simple solution for us being the "Fashion Police".

If a player enters the game with an illegal head or wrist band, an illegal leg or arm sleeve or jewelry, If a player has their waist band turned down ot is wearing their pants too low, it's an in direct "T" to the head coach. 2 shots and the ball for the other team.

That would end the problem.

I think this is already done in places. NC maybe?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 02:51pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
while that would be fun...unfortunately coaches have more to worry about than how their kids dress for games and what their parents are buying them.

i've had this discussion with a lot of coaches as i get sick of taking care of everything, game in and game out...
truth is, a lot of coaches tell their players what not to wear/what not to do....and because they are kids, they do it anyway.
As my Coach used to tell me the fastest way to players brain is through his legs. He could correct our behavior real fast.

That is a cop out by the Coach.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 02:56pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
As my Coach used to tell me the fastest way to players brain is through his legs. He could correct our behavior real fast.

I've had several coaches thank me for enforcing the rule as written. Most will say "I told them they couldn't wear that but they wanted to try to see if you would allow it"

My reply is always: they can wear whatever they want but they will not participate wearing anything illegal and it is your responsibility to ensure all team members are properly equipped.

Seems to me it is normally smaller schools early in season. It would be nice if they just followed the simple rules but that's why we make the big bucks right?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It only ends the problem if it's enforced. Enhancing the penalty isn't going to increase enforcement.
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Running, and bench time.
Official Forum Member

Quote:

mandatory rule interp - holds no water
"certify your players are legally equipped" - holds no water
and my favorite, officials who choose to not enforce fashion police rules

and there are plenty other penalties that go as indirect and directs to coaches, as a result of players' behavior and yet they continue to do them.
maybe i'm wrong, but coaches coach basketball at their practices...not the admin rules of basketball at practices.

don't get me wrong, i'm on the officials' side here but if i were a coach and one night my kids could where undershirts and the next night i was told i have to remove them, which official am i to believe? and then why should i care about it?

if it was enforced better, it wouldn't be such a hassle and we could finally get back to worrying more about the actual game of basketball.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 03:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

I know enforcing these rules isn't the most fun, I'm not exactly a fan myself but it really just isn't a big deal to me. Illegal equipment? Don't let them play. To quote a former football crew chief of mine "No point in upset about it, you know how it's going to end."
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It only ends the problem if it's enforced. Enhancing the penalty isn't going to increase enforcement.
I had an undershirt rules violation before a game and let the coach know that the players wouldn't be allowed to participate until legal. His reply "I know that's a rule, but I thought it wasn't being enforced any more." Later in the game, as he's complaining about travelling not being called, I wanted to say "hey coach, that's a rule we're not really enforcing anymore."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

I actually think it would solve the problem. I also think it would cause a lot of conflict as well. Because we would have to worry about an argument over if that matches other colors or if it fits the size of the logo allowed. I like the idea in principle, but do not like it in practice. Now I have to argue with a coach over this like I argue over book issues and who copied the right thing down.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:40pm
9 times

For me the easiest solution has been to send players out of the game as soon as the illegal wear is discovered. No penalty. Just no play. A sub with illegal items is not permitted to enter. Send 1 kid out/refuse entry and it takes care of itself.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yesterday afternoon I had a game wherein a uniform code issue was violated. Team A had blue jersey and blue shorts; team B had white jersey with gold accents and white shorts with same accents. Team A player had a white undershirt on--and he was participating in the pregame sesh. I told Team A coach that his player had to either put on a blue t shirt or just take off the white one --until then he cannot enter the contest. Coach said--"I told him to take it off ref but he said the refs in the last game let him wear it." Of course I cringed at that reply especially that part about the refs from last week's game allowing it to be worn. In the end, and in short order the player was out of that white t-shirt in a flash! To be honest, when I saw him in that white undershirt---I immediately thought of a post I'd recently read on this Forum about a big photo in the some city's sports page of a HS game with a player in dark jersey wearing a white t-shirt---that someone on this forum had made that had been allowed by a veteran official! Then I pondered the consequences of the same happening to me---suppose that....well I must say that it did make the sitch more relevant.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Jan 25, 2017 at 02:53pm.