The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

PC foul without a falling player (Video)

What do you think?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Not a call Id want to make. I suppose he thought it was going to be worse than it was. Needs patient whistle. It happens...
he did try to sell it and didn't show remorse..but I just can't go with it.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 12, 2017 at 01:24am.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:08pm
Administrator

Excellent call!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Excellent call!

MTD, Sr.
I would bet your house AND Jr.s someone will have a conversation with him about it. I'd venture to guess he'd tell you he wanted that one back. Yes offense jumped in, yes contact etc. Not enough for foul at that level or even high school imo. I would pass on play like that.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 12, 2017 at 01:40am.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 12:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I would bet your house AND Jr.s someone will have a conversation with him about it.id venture to guess he'd tell you he wanted that one back. Yeah offense jumped in, yeah contact etc. Not enough for foul at that level or even high school to me.
Why is it always assumed that "someone will have a conversation with him" about it? I could make that call...but nobody's coming to tell me how good or bad it was.

Maybe it's different where you are.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why is it always assumed that "someone will have a conversation with him" about it? I could make that call...but nobody's coming to tell me how good or bad it was.

Maybe it's different where you are.
It might not be much of a conversation but even in juco here there's tape review etc. of plays. My supervisor would say we'd probably want to pass on that. Refereeing is hard. Stuff happens. I'm not saying he'd get docked by any means. I just don't see enough contact there and I think it would be pointed out on review.

And I don't think falling down is always necessary. Post player pivots and leads with elbows hard. I can see charge. This just isn't a play I'd call player control. Offense isn't jumping in with a lot of force it doesn't seem. Hurts his own ability to score.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Jan 12, 2017 at 01:44am.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm ok with that call. It knocked the defender back several feet allowing the shooter a distinctly closer shot than he deserved. That said, I wouldn't be concerned with a no-call either.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Didn't You Fall Down ???

I had this same exact play last week, called a player control foul, and immediately wished I could dial it back.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

It can go either way (call versus no call). Defender was displaced, and the offensive player was able to get a shot off towards the basket. I may also have made this call. I can guarantee (well almost) no one is calling this ref, or any ref, for this call.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 07:46am
High Five Master

In slow mo, on video, I've got a no call. Live ball.....I want to say I would still have a no call but no promises.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
It can go either way (call versus no call). Defender was displaced, and the offensive player was able to get a shot off towards the basket. I may also have made this call. I can guarantee (well almost) no one is calling this ref, or any ref, for this call.
You're right that it isnt likely he would get a specific call or email over this play. Idid make it sound like that. I think this play will make that crew's list of plays for review. Just as it made our list here. Jeff pulled it because of it being different. I'm not certain in this league, but im aware that other leagues will send crews plays from a game. Good calls, not good calls etc. Mark thought it was an excellent call. I tend to think it will be on the list of plays for review and might come with a note passing might have been better.

And i like you, am not certain about it...which is why I bet Mark and Jr.s house and not my own....
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Did he make the right call? He certainly didn't make the wrong one.

I don't think the debate is about whether its an accurate call rather is this one we would no call. My guess would be at that level they (coaches, players, maybe even the officials administrating body?) are expecting that the threshold for contact/advantage be higher than that before a call is made.

On the flip side maybe if more of these were called at all levels we would see less selling of contact to try to get calls . . .

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I must be in the ultra minority on this one....but I have a blocking foul on the defender or a no call.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm ok with that call. It knocked the defender back several feet allowing the shooter a distinctly closer shot than he deserved. That said, I wouldn't be concerned with a no-call either.
Exactly this. Why do we (officials in general) expect players to fall down in order to call the PC foul?

Do we want players to flop? That's how we get players to flop.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewPV View Post
I must be in the ultra minority on this one....but I have a blocking foul on the defender or a no call.
Well, you made me watch it again, but there's no way you should call a blocking foul here, IMO. What do you think the defender did wrong?

Hint, the word "set" cannot be anywhere in your answer.