The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Shooter landing on a player who flopped

Hi all, Coach here. Played a team this week who tried to take a lot of charges. I'm not saying they were flopping constantly but there were a few. On two plays which I felt the opponents were falling before any contact my airborne shooter landed on the downed player and also went to the ground which I felt was very unsafe. In a general sense, is a player who is on the ground under an airborne shooter committing a foul by being under the shooters feet?

Thanks for all you do.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:40am
Never Stop Learning

Not a legal guarding position. As long as your shooter was vertical I would call a foul on the person on the ground. This would have to be a htbt situation though as they are all different and judgement of the official.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Agreed, that's why I asked as a general situation. What if the player was shooting a runner or a layup going toward the basket. You qualified your statement by saying that the shooter must be vertical but shouldn't players who are legally moving toward the basket be allowed to land safely as well?

Last edited by BDevil15; Mon Jan 09, 2017 at 12:53am.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:00am
Never Stop Learning

I would say yes to that as this is not a legal guarding position. If they are flopping by rule that is a technical foul. Have not seen that called as we teach to call it a block on the defense.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

A defender is allowed to take any spot on the floor provided that he gets there legally, which means without using illegal contact to reach the spot and arrives before any time or distance restrictions.

For guarding an airborne opponent, the defender must have obtained his spot on the floor before the opponent became airborne.

Now we can analyze your situations. If the defender falls to the floor prior to the shooter jumping, the defender has a legal spot, and it is not a defensive foul when the shooter subsequently lands on him. It could be an offensive fouls though.
If the defender falls backwards after the shooter is airborne, he has not met the requirement to be in his spot on the floor before the opponent went airborne. Therefore, it is a blocking foul if the shooter lands on this defender.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:45am
Never Stop Learning

How big of a spot on the court is this defender allowed?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
How big of a spot on the court is this defender allowed?
How big is the player?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 02:08am
Never Stop Learning

LOL BuBa will take up more room, but are we going to give a 6 foot player 6 feet on the ground and shoulder width standing?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A defender is allowed to take any spot on the floor provided that he gets there legally, which means without using illegal contact to reach the spot and arrives before any time or distance restrictions.

For guarding an airborne opponent, the defender must have obtained his spot on the floor before the opponent became airborne.

Now we can analyze your situations. If the defender falls to the floor prior to the shooter jumping, the defender has a legal spot, and it is not a defensive foul when the shooter subsequently lands on him. It could be an offensive fouls though.
If the defender falls backwards after the shooter is airborne, he has not met the requirement to be in his spot on the floor before the opponent went airborne. Therefore, it is a blocking foul if the shooter lands on this defender.
I disagree. A defender is only required to obtain a legal position (in the path, two feet down, facing) before the opponent jumps. After having that, they are still permitted to move (as long as it is not into the opponent), duck, turn, etc. to absorb the imminent contact. Leaning back is nothing more than that. If the opponent still contacts them, nothing the defender did created that contact.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
LOL BuBa will take up more room, but are we going to give a 6 foot player 6 feet on the ground and shoulder width standing?
The NFHS does not care if the player is standing up or laying down. He gets the space which his body occupies. From either of these positions he may not extend an arm, leg, knee, etc. into the path of an opponent to impede his progress, but simply being there isn't illegal.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I disagree. A defender is only required to obtain a legal position (in the path, two feet down, facing) before the opponent jumps. After having that, they are still permitted to move (as long as it is not into the opponent), duck, turn, etc. to absorb the imminent contact. Leaning back is nothing more than that. If the opponent still contacts them, nothing the defender did created that contact.
Camron,
I'm not talking about leaning backwards at the time of contact. We agree that is fine. I'm discussing falling backwards to the floor prior to contact such that the player now occupies a different location on the playing court.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Camron,
I'm not talking about leaning backwards at the time of contact. We agree that is fine. I'm discussing falling backwards to the floor prior to contact such that the player now occupies a different location on the playing court.
Isn't falling just advanced leaning? As long as it is away from the opponent and not into the opponents path, how does it change?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isn't falling just advanced leaning? As long as it is away from the opponent and not into the opponents path, how does it change?
Per the rules, player location is determined by where a player is in contact with the floor (or was last in contact with the floor if airborne). Therefore, leaning backward and actually falling to the floor are different. The player obtains a new location on the court.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 06:26am
Administrator

Quote:

Camron:

Thanks. You beat me to it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 08:37am
Stubborn Member

Once a shooter goes airborne, shouldn't we be talking in terms of the defender's verticality? Not his location on the court?

By leaning backwards after the shooter goes airborne they are no longer vertical, and any subsequent contact is on the defender.

If this were a question about a block/charge call, instead of a possible shooting foul, then the thing about not moving towards the offensive player would come into affect. No?