The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Once a shooter goes airborne, shouldn't we be talking in terms of the defender's verticality? Not his location on the court?

By leaning backwards after the shooter goes airborne they are no longer vertical, and any subsequent contact is on the defender.

If this were a question about a block/charge call, instead of a possible shooting foul, then the thing about not moving towards the offensive player would come into affect. No?
Verticality and location always apply.

And, a "block/charge call" can be a "shooting foul."

I'm really not sure what you are asking, here.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:20am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Verticality and location always apply.

And, a "block/charge call" can be a "shooting foul."

I'm really not sure what you are asking, here.
Is it verticality you're looking for here instead of the defender's location on the court?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it verticality you're looking for here instead of the defender's location on the court?
No -- you're looking at both. And, "verticality" generally means toward the shooter (whether directly forward or laterally) -- not "backwards"
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:45am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No -- you're looking at both. And, "verticality" generally means toward the shooter (whether directly forward or laterally) -- not "backwards"
Okay. While we all would likely call a foul on this play I'm not convinced about the justification.

Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Turn, duck, absorb, fine.

Falling backwards in an obvious attempt to draw a charge call? Completely different.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Turn, duck, absorb, fine.

Falling backwards in an obvious attempt to draw a charge call? Completely different.
And there is a rule that covers it: it's a technical foul. The rest of this seems to be trying to justify not enforcing that rule and still finding something to call against the defender.

(I have seen that T called once in a V boys game many years ago. There was a foot of space between the defender and the attacker when the defender screamed and flung himself backward -- and the official was in exactly the right spot to see that space.)
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay. While we all would likely call a foul on this play I'm not convinced about the justification.

I don't think it there is justification despite the fact that many people call it a block.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
And there is a rule that covers it: it's a technical foul. The rest of this seems to be trying to justify not enforcing that rule and still finding something to call against the defender.

(I have seen that T called once in a V boys game many years ago. There was a foot of space between the defender and the attacker when the defender screamed and flung himself backward -- and the official was in exactly the right spot to see that space.)
That's for "faking being fouled" and I find that to be wholly different. A player falling to the floor and then tripping a player who's trying to land is different, although there will be people here who claim the defender is entitled to every spot on the floor behind him when he established LGP.

I've called this technical foul once. Same scenario you posted. I ended up whacking the coach, too, which I knew was going to happen the second I called the initial technical foul. Didn't care, either. I had already talked to the player and the coach about that kid's tendency to throw himself backwards and they didn't heed what I said.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 03:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

I doubt any supervisor will be mad if you call a blocking foul on a prone Defender who fell backwards to avoid contact and who causes the Airborne player to trip when he lands.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 09, 2017 at 03:51pm.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 03:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I doubt any supervisor will be mad if you call a blocking foul on a prone Defender who causes an Airborne player to trip when he lands.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Agreed.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 04:47pm
Stubborn Member

To be clear, and please correct me if I've misunderstood...

1. This play should not be a foul on the defender falling backwards, as according to the rules he did nothing wrong. Assuming he wasn't faking the charge and gets a technical foul.

2. This could be a charging call, assuming the defender obtained LGP. I say "could" because we'd have to be there to judge the contact I suppose.