The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   To T or Not to T--What Would You Have Done? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102059-t-not-t-what-would-you-have-done.html)

VaTerp Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:45pm

Common Sense is your friend

I do not really see myself starting a 9am Freshman game with a technical foul for an administrative book issue.

That said. Do what is expected by the assinger and powers that be. Just do your best to know what those expectations really are.

In my neck of the woods you don't want to be the guy that calls this T. If you want your schedule to advance.

so cal lurker Mon Jan 09, 2017 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 996775)
I do not really see myself starting a 9am Freshman game with a technical foul for an administrative book issue.

That said. Do what is expected by the assinger and powers that be. Just do your best to know what those expectations really are.

In my neck of the woods you don't want to be the guy that calls this T. If you want your schedule to advance.

Along the lines of T selection, how do y'all look at dunking in warmups? JV league game, after the ref crew was on the floor, a couple of those dunks that are loud enough to hear, with no call. That surprised me (though I frankly think the no dunking rule is a bit silly, but that's a separate issue) -- do y'all "not see" those even if you're on the court?

Rich Mon Jan 09, 2017 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 996787)
Along the lines of T selection, how do y'all look at dunking in warmups? JV league game, after the ref crew was on the floor, a couple of those dunks that are loud enough to hear, with no call. That surprised me (though I frankly think the no dunking rule is a bit silly, but that's a separate issue) -- do y'all "not see" those even if you're on the court?

Nope. Someone throws one down, we're starting with free throws.

And no, we don't do the silly "blow the whistle as we're entering the floor thing" either.

UNIgiantslayers Mon Jan 09, 2017 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996788)
And no, we don't do the silly "blow the whistle as we're entering the floor thing" either.

I've seen a few reference this on here. Is this a mechanic somewhere????

bob jenkins Mon Jan 09, 2017 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 996791)

Yes.

Stat-Man Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 996641)
I've had games where teams are late. Nothing we can do about it and there's often nothing the team can do about it...bus trouble...traffic...whatever. Never had a technical because of stuff like that. Stuff happens.

This. Many of our middle schools have a 4:00 start time. As such, a bus that gets caught in unexpected traffic, accident, construction, etc. has meant I've had a couple of games where the visiting team doesn't get into the gym until 3:50 or so.

When that's happened, I wait for the visiting coach to get situated and ask if he or she has a roster ready to give to the home scorer for filling out the official book. Each time, the coach has been happy to oblige right away, so I've seen no need for a T if the coach provides a roster as soon as possible in these instances.

BillyMac Mon Jan 09, 2017 06:14pm

The Stars At Night Are Big And Bright ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996788)
... we don't do the silly "blow the whistle as we're entering the floor thing" either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 996791)

I believe that it's in Texas.

deecee Mon Jan 09, 2017 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996623)
9AM freshmen?

Odds of having an administrative technical around here for something like this at that level on a Saturday morning are exactly zero. I'd consider myself fortunate that everyone is in place BY 9AM for one of those.

Then again, I have never seen a "freshman rivalry" game or an official who knew a school's freshman team's record before, either.

+1 and lol

deecee Mon Jan 09, 2017 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 996658)
As stated above, my partner was looking for any excuse to not assess a technical foul. He got what he was looking for, and we moved on.

Let's say, though, that the conditions are "right" to assess the technical. The visitors coach knows the rule and wants the tech enforced.

You could...enforce the technical, knowing that the coach wanting the tech is correct by rule. Or, you could tell him, no coach, it's a freshman game on a Saturday morning, we're not going to enforce the rule.

Where I work, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at every level. Don't know why we would ignore this rule just because it's a freshman game.

"sure coach we'll go by the book. Make sure you don't step a foot outside the coaches box because by rule its a T."

JRutledge Mon Jan 09, 2017 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 996807)
"sure coach we'll go by the book. Make sure you don't step a foot outside the coaches box because by rule its a T."

In many field houses or side gyms, there are no coaching boxes around here ;)

Peace

SD Referee Tue Jan 10, 2017 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 996658)
As stated above, my partner was looking for any excuse to not assess a technical foul. He got what he was looking for, and we moved on.

Let's say, though, that the conditions are "right" to assess the technical. The visitors coach knows the rule and wants the tech enforced.

You could...enforce the technical, knowing that the coach wanting the tech is correct by rule. Or, you could tell him, no coach, it's a freshman game on a Saturday morning, we're not going to enforce the rule.

Where I work, we're told to enforce the uniform rules at every level. Don't know why we would ignore this rule just because it's a freshman game.

Sounds like your partner is full of himself and takes 9am freshman games way too seriously.

I won't even begin to apply this to a 7pm varsity contest because this would NEVER happen in that situation. I hate to use the word "never", but let's be realistic. This would never happen. That's why this coach and his players are involved in a 9am Saturday game.

Rich Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 996833)
Sounds like your partner is full of himself and takes 9am freshman games way too seriously.

I won't even begin to apply this to a 7pm varsity contest because this would NEVER happen in that situation. I hate to use the word "never", but let's be realistic. This would never happen. That's why this coach and his players are involved in a 9am Saturday game.

This.

Around here FR games are assigned by the schools. Do stuff like this and you'll have plenty of Saturday mornings free going forward.

AABATTEE Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 996621)
I would have figured out which clock we needed to use and penalize (or not) from there. I don't want to get a rep as the hard ass who gives a bunch of T's but this is a rule that has been around since clocks were invented. I've stopped being lenient on this stuff and with uniform stuff. For me, I get sick of hearing the excuse that " the refs the other night didn't care/make us fix it/penalize" and I have decided that I won't be the reason a ref hears that excuse down the road.

I like this response.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AABATTEE Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996623)
9AM freshmen?

Odds of having an administrative technical around here for something like this at that level on a Saturday morning are exactly zero. I'd consider myself fortunate that everyone is in place BY 9AM for one of those.

Then again, I have never seen a "freshman rivalry" game or an official who knew a school's freshman team's record before, either.

He may have known the teams but yes. I'd be happy everyone was in place to play as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VaTerp Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 996787)

No, dunking in warmups is entirely different than an administrative issue like the one in this thread. A slight touching of the rim may get a "dont do that again" but "loud enough to hear" pre-game dunks are easy and automatic. Should never get to the point of multiple.

That said, there are at least 2 prominent state level officials around here who have basically stated they will never start one of their games with a T for dunking. I'm more lenient than some on many things but I don't share that mindset.