The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of game situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102055-end-game-situation.html)

Ed Maeder Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:31am

How much time would you all take off the clock then?

Nevadaref Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Maeder (Post 996712)
How much time would you all take off the clock then?

How about one second?

Ed Maeder Mon Jan 09, 2017 02:11am

The definite knowledge would be what?

Nevadaref Mon Jan 09, 2017 03:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Maeder (Post 996718)
The defiant knowledge would be what?

If I'm an official in such a situation I can have a count. I also look at the clock when I chop in time to make certain that I starts properly in late game situations.
In this situation, the poster told us that it took about one second.

PS Why are you being "defiant"?

OKREF Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 996513)
Saw this tonight.

Team A inbounding ball on endline in backcourt, 1.9 seconds left, needing to go length of court. Run a play, and makes a long pass to A1 at 3 point line in frontcourt. As A1 catches the ball, the horn sounds. Clock was started early. Clock was started as the pass was in the air. What do you do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 996528)
The catch and horn were almost simultaneous. They put 1.9 back on and replayed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 996705)
Why would you take 3/10ths off when the poster states that the time from catch to release and the horn sounding was about one second?

No I didn't.

just another ref Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 996711)
To clarify for others, 0.3 is NOT enough time to catch and shoot under NFHS rules, you must have 0.4 seconds or more.

You knew what I meant. :o

Nevadaref Mon Jan 09, 2017 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 996737)
No I didn't.

Not talking about your play. I wrote poster, not OP.
Below is the post immediately above Ed's response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDevil15 (Post 996696)
Coach here. Had this happen once, not the 4th quarter. 2.4 on the clock, have the ball near the division line. Have my big guy on the block. Inbounder throws to my big guy who catches and shoots a little fadaway and releases just after the buzzer sounds. [B]Time between catch and release was probably around one second.[\B]. Officials convene and after some discussion decide that it was a timing error and we retry from 2.4. Needless to say we didn't get as good of a shot off on the redo.

Kansas Ref Tue Jan 10, 2017 09:21am

All of this just goes to show over and over again that the table personnel clock operators never pay attention to our "chop the clock" signals. They just go by what they think is the 'common sense' way to do things. I've had clock operators start the clock when the ball is in-bounded by rolling it on the floor by A1 and A2 had yet to start a dribble--ball just rolling from the backcourt to frontcourt---and she started the clock. I had words with her and we put back all the time on the clock, it was embarrassing for her though, close game.

Rich Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 996829)
All of this just goes to show over and over again that the table personnel clock operators never pay attention to our "chop the clock" signals. They just go by what they think is the 'common sense' way to do things. I've had clock operators start the clock when the ball is in-bounded by rolling it on the floor by A1 and A2 had yet to start a dribble--ball just rolling from the backcourt to frontcourt---and she started the clock. I had words with her and we put back all the time on the clock, it was embarrassing for her though, close game.

A 40 point blowout recently and a ball hits the floor inbounds and bounces towards OOB......tick tick tick....and I'm waiting for the horn to blow before putting a whistle on the OOB....and the clock operator helpfully stops the clock with 0.3 seconds left without a whistle.

OKREF Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 996798)
Not talking about your play. I wrote poster, not OP.
Below is the post immediately above Ed's response.

OOPS. My bad