The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timing question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102021-timing-question.html)

Nevadaref Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 995888)
.3 seconds refers to catching and releasing a ball. It has nothing to do with the time it takes a ball to go from being tipped to hitting out of bounds. Depending on the player's proximity to the line, it could easily be less than .3 seconds. One could maybe make the case that the NFHS ruling requires at least .1, but .3 comes out of thin air for this situation.

Are you aware of the NBA rule requiring 0.3 to be removed from the clock anytime the ball is touched inbounds and then becomes dead again from a stopped clock situation?

That is from where deecee is taking the grounds for his decision.

deecee Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 995888)
.3 seconds refers to catching and releasing a ball. It has nothing to do with the time it takes a ball to go from being tipped to hitting out of bounds. Depending on the player's proximity to the line, it could easily be less than .3 seconds. One could maybe make the case that the NFHS ruling requires at least .1, but .3 comes out of thin air for this situation.

My statement said for most cases. There may be times where the touch happens close to the OOB and the ball immediately goes out at almost the same time. In this case I wouldn't be comfortable with .3 seconds. In reality in most cases the number is greater than .3 but to me it's one I'm comfortable using as my baseline. I sure as hell am NOT going to NOT take any time off when the ball was legally touched and the clock didn't start.

Adam Fri Dec 30, 2016 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 995890)
Are you aware of the NBA rule requiring 0.3 to be removed from the clock anytime the ball is touched inbounds and then becomes dead again from a stopped clock situation?

That is from where deecee is taking the grounds for his decision.

Nope, I wasn't aware of the NBA rule.

ODog Fri Dec 30, 2016 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 995911)
I sure as hell am NOT going to NOT take any time off when the ball was legally touched and the clock didn't start.

New scenario: First quarter, 5:16 left. Throw-in is tipped by defender right back out of bounds. Clock still reads 5:16. You bothering with this or were you just talking end-of-period scenarios?

Adam Fri Dec 30, 2016 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 995922)
New scenario: First quarter, 5:16 left. Throw-in is tipped by defender right back out of bounds. Clock still reads 5:16. You bothering with this or were you just talking end-of-period scenarios?

I'm not messing with this: especially if the clock isn't displaying .1s.

BillyMac Fri Dec 30, 2016 06:41pm

If Displayed ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 995926)
I'm not messing with this: especially if the clock isn't displaying .1s.

Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2009-10
SITUATION 11: ... the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed.

deecee Fri Dec 30, 2016 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 995922)

I don't care about this. These are 2 different scenarios. In the original scenario if its like a 2-3 possession game I'm not picking the nit either.