The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Play location

I know during the shooting of a Technical foul, the other 9 players do not have to be behind the half court line, but I can not find the wording for this anywhere. If someone could let me know where the wording is located, I would greatly appreciate.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 8-1-3: ART. 3 . . . If the ball is to become dead when the last free throw for a specific penalty is not successful, players shall not occupy any spaces along the free-throw lane lines.

8-1-5: ART. 5 . . . Any player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space must be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point line.

I believe these rules are the only language we have to go by. Technical foul free throws are just free throws that will be followed by a dead ball, as is true for intentional fouls or fouls that occur when or just after time expires.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

MBilica is right. You won't find ruling that specifies anything about players' location during a technical foul free throw, because that's not where the rules differentiate. The distinction in the rules is between players along the lane and players not along the lane.

Someone who has always believed that players must go to the backcourt during these free throws, and who refuses to believe otherwise, will ask you for a rule reference. The only answer is to quote these two rules and ask them to provide you with a rule reference that provides additional restrictions on any free throws where no one gets to be along the lane.

And just to show I can predict the future:

The next response will be that it's just good game management to get them back there.

The alternative is to make players go to their benches in order to separate them, again for good game management or something.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

So, what we have with the game management argument putting them in the back court is that the players crowd along the division line, often right on top of each other. I don't think that is necessarily better with regards to game management.

Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
So, what we have with the game management argument putting them in the back court is that the players crowd along the division line, often right on top of each other. I don't think that is necessarily better with regards to game management.

He's Predicting what someone who says players have to be behind division line would say when you point out that the rules only require them to be outside three point line and beyond FT line extended. They will come up with another reason to justify it.

If they are outside the three point line and beyond FT line extended they are complying with rules.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Dec 23, 2016 at 04:44pm.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

There is a pretty strong myth that players have to be behind half court. When my son was playing middle school, that myth was assiduously enforced....
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 12:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
There is a pretty strong myth that players have to be behind half court. When my son was playing middle school, that myth was assiduously enforced....
In many areas, MS refs officiate myths rather than rules. Some of the myths are correct, others are not.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In many areas, MS refs officiate myths rather than rules. Some of the myths are correct, others are not.
MS? I've seen it at HS and even college. Some people are just better at BSing than they are at being technicians.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
MS? I've seen it at HS and even college. Some people are just better at BSing than they are at being technicians.
Amen. Varsity and college officials are sometimes the worst offenders of officiating using myths. And these myths then trickle down to the lower levels.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Amen. Varsity and college officials are sometimes the worst offenders of officiating using myths. And these myths then trickle down to the lower levels.
Ive seen players just automatically go back there without any instruction from the officials. Just because they all go behind the division line doesn't mean it is the officials fault (in that game).

If they want to stand there, I'm not telling them to go somewhere else.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Ive seen players just automatically go back there without any instruction from the officials. Just because they all go behind the division line doesn't mean it is the officials fault (in that game).

^^ This. Rare is the player these days who confidently remains in the frontcourt.

Like jpg, I don't get involved, unless I happen to notice a teammate nervously telling another to get behind the division line. That's when I may (depending on the temp of the game) take the opportunity to debunk.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post

I never said it was the officials' fault. I simply concurred with Camron that upper-level officials can be just as bad at perpetrating rules myths as lower-level officials.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 12:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
True. I think it's more prevalent at the MS level (and below). It's definitely more excusable, because many MS assigners have horrible training programs. HS and college refs have no such excuse, IMO.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sadly, very true. My son's CYO league claimed that it had certified refs for the "varsity" (read: 8th grade), but with ththe prevalence of myths (or imported NBA rules) being used in some games, I really wondered what that certification was. (We also got some very good refs. My daughter had a playoff game with a three man crew that clearly worked together -- I assumed it was a group that volunteered.)
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Are these the officials doing this or the players themselves? I never tell players to go anywhere but not be on the line. They tend to go to the division line. So if you see them go there in my game, I did not have to tell them much of anything.

Think about it, is there really a reason to be right around the circle or 3 point line? I do not see one as there is no immediate rebound.

Peace
Closed Thread