The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I wouldn't. I've had chats with players where I explain what they did wrong and they were receptive. It would all depend on context, but this act in and of itself is not a punishable offense to me. In hindsight you can always say, "well #2 was a PITA the rest of the way." But at that moment you don't know that.
Agree. The butt slap would not draw a T from me unless there were words with it telling me it wasn't jovial in nature.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
If he's acting like that and I give him an opportunity to knock it off, and he slaps my ass you can bet he'll start the game with a T. There is no reason for a player to ever touch an official, not to mention him trying to show you up. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I don't think I'll convince you otherwise and vice versa. There are at least 3 other instances where I would've whacked this kid without a second thought, but that hustle pat for me is not a warning. His warning comes when I tell him to cool it with the crap before the game. It's amazing he's gotten this far thinking he can act like that. Guys who did not TCOB, along with poor coaching would be my reasons he acts like this. This kind of crap gets me fired up. What we permit we promote.
Not a chance I give a kid a T for a pat on the butt. I would start the game exactly as this crew did, but recognize immediately that #2 is nothing more than a GFU. The rest of the stuff deserved a quicker reaction and quicker technical fouls.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I went ahead and marked all the times I would have called a T before they finally got to it, as well as the one they got (I would not have gone flagrant for that, but he probably wouldn't have lasted that long).

Seems to me that #2 was the problem child and the catalyst. The crew properly warned him before the game, so there's a good chance one of his comments to #15 early in the game would have earned a T if I heard it. If not, his stunt at the FT line would have.

Whether a T would have fixed him is unknown, but a second one would have at least removed the cancer.
You'd wack a player for walking away while trying to talk to him/her? I can see if something else is involved, but if a player just walks away from me I may make a mental note but I can't see a reason to T them.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
You'd wack a player for walking away while trying to talk to him/her? I can see if something else is involved, but if a player just walks away from me I may make a mental note but I can't see a reason to T them.
I'd do that in a second. If I'm trying to talk to a kid like this, and keep from having to assess the T, and he cops the attitude that he doesn't have to listen to me and just turns and walks away, I'd whack him immediately.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm imputing my own motives to the C here. Frankly, the only conversation I'm having with him is an attempt to prevent a T by getting him to go get the ball he just rolled away. Short of him or a teammate going to get the ball immediately, it's a T. Had this been the first issue, I'm simply marking him as a trouble-child. But that's not what happened here.

Honestly, he's got the T (probably 2) from me long before that point, so it really doesn't get there.