The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Coach ejection (Basketball - LHSAA)

What is the proper procedure when a HS basketball coach gets his second technical? Please go step by step because there is an unwritten rule - and my question is as an official - how can we enforce unwritten rules?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have a rule citation for the unwritten rule?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Unwritten rule?

I am not familiar with the unwritten rule, but my understanding is that ejected adult bench personnel shall leave the vicinity (out of sight - and sound) of the players immediately and are prohibited from further contact with the team for the remainder of the game.

10-5 - Note
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Is the unwritten rule a secret?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Procedure and RULE

From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. If they don't leave when the buzzer hits zero then the game is forfeited. Now the unwritten rule - I've been told one minute for years but can't find any time or timeline for a coach to be removed in any book. If there isn't a 'written' rule then how can we enforce when Coach Johnny gets tossed? How long do we give them?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. ...
I don't think that is a written rule.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

If it isn't a written rule, then how do we enforce a rule not written anywhere? How can we say its a rule? How do we explain to the Administrator exactly how long or what the procedure is for the coach to be removed? A coach questioned it....We all need to be on the same page. Think about it -
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'll never forfeit a game for a coach that refuses to leave. I'll do everything I can to give the ACs and game management a chance to get him out. If nothing else works, I'm suspending the game and letting the state sort it out.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Take A Seat On The Bus ...

A single flagrant foul, the second direct technical foul or the third technical (any combination of direct or
indirect) charged to the head coach results in disqualification and ejection. Ejected adult
bench personnel shall leave the vicinity (out of sight and sound) of the playing area
immediately and are prohibited from any further contact (direct or indirect) with the team
during the remainder of the game. Failure to comply with the rules of ejection may result
in the game being forfeited.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Double secret.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Deal View Post
From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. If they don't leave when the buzzer hits zero then the game is forfeited. Now the unwritten rule - I've been told one minute for years but can't find any time or timeline for a coach to be removed in any book. If there isn't a 'written' rule then how can we enforce when Coach Johnny gets tossed? How long do we give them?
OK, Now I'm understanding the question better.

The 1 minute is up to the discretion of the official, but it's a courtesy. Once it's clear that the coach is trying to refuse to leave, I'm simply telling him he needs to leave immediately or his team will forfeit the game. Putting a clock on it is simply a visual aid, and a line in the sand.

Sometimes standard practice doesn't get written down for a reason.

Edit to add:

This may be a local expectation. A number of practices aren't written, such as the courtesy of warning the coach when his behavior approaches sportsmanship guidelines. That's not written because often times we simply skip the courtesy warning and call the T. This is the same thing. The minute on the clock is a courtesy to give him a chance to compose himself and leave. It's not required, you could forfeit as soon as he announces that he's refusing to leave. If he's questioning the 60 second window, simply let him know you're not obligated to give him any time at all and he needs to start moving for the exit immediately.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Dec 15, 2016 at 05:52pm. Reason: additional thoughts
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not allowed to answer that.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
OK, Now I'm understanding the question better.

The 1 minute is up to the discretion of the official, but it's a courtesy. Once it's clear that the coach is trying to refuse to leave, I'm simply telling him he needs to leave immediately or his team will forfeit the game. Putting a clock on it is simply a visual aid, and a line in the sand.

Sometimes standard practice doesn't get written down for a reason.
It's also possible that the state / local area has some specific procedures on this (as with other game management issues)
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'll never forfeit a game for a coach that refuses to leave. I'll do everything I can to give the ACs and game management a chance to get him out. If nothing else works, I'm suspending the game and letting the state sort it out.
I will. The rules state to do so when a coach fails to comply with the penalty for technical fouls, of which ejection from the game is one when the proper number of technical fouls have been assessed.

Immediately does not mean one minute. It is much quicker than that.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I will. The rules state to do so when a coach fails to comply with the penalty for technical fouls, of which ejection from the game is one when the proper number of technical fouls have been assessed.

Immediately does not mean one minute. It is much quicker than that.
Immediate is how long in your books?

As far as forfeit vs suspension...in a scholastic setting I will always advise to another official to suspend...there is literally no negatives in doing so as the governing body can always go back and forfeit the game.

On the contrary a governing body can decide that one minute should have been given that goes contrary with the thinking that "it is much quicker than that."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.