The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach ejection (Basketball - LHSAA) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101965-coach-ejection-basketball-lhsaa.html)

Real Deal Thu Dec 15, 2016 03:50pm

Coach ejection (Basketball - LHSAA)

What is the proper procedure when a HS basketball coach gets his second technical? Please go step by step because there is an unwritten rule - and my question is as an official - how can we enforce unwritten rules?

UNIgiantslayers Thu Dec 15, 2016 03:58pm

Do you have a rule citation for the unwritten rule?:rolleyes:

Refsmitty Thu Dec 15, 2016 03:59pm

Unwritten rule?

I am not familiar with the unwritten rule, but my understanding is that ejected adult bench personnel shall leave the vicinity (out of sight - and sound) of the players immediately and are prohibited from further contact with the team for the remainder of the game.

10-5 - Note

Raymond Thu Dec 15, 2016 04:02pm

Is the unwritten rule a secret?

Real Deal Thu Dec 15, 2016 04:16pm

Procedure and RULE

From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. If they don't leave when the buzzer hits zero then the game is forfeited. Now the unwritten rule - I've been told one minute for years but can't find any time or timeline for a coach to be removed in any book. If there isn't a 'written' rule then how can we enforce when Coach Johnny gets tossed? How long do we give them?

Raymond Thu Dec 15, 2016 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Deal (Post 994956)
From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. ...

I don't think that is a written rule.

Real Deal Thu Dec 15, 2016 04:30pm

If it isn't a written rule, then how do we enforce a rule not written anywhere? How can we say its a rule? How do we explain to the Administrator exactly how long or what the procedure is for the coach to be removed? A coach questioned it....We all need to be on the same page. Think about it -

UNIgiantslayers Thu Dec 15, 2016 04:37pm

I'll never forfeit a game for a coach that refuses to leave. I'll do everything I can to give the ACs and game management a chance to get him out. If nothing else works, I'm suspending the game and letting the state sort it out.

BillyMac Thu Dec 15, 2016 05:12pm

Take A Seat On The Bus ...

A single flagrant foul, the second direct technical foul or the third technical (any combination of direct or
indirect) charged to the head coach results in disqualification and ejection. Ejected adult
bench personnel shall leave the vicinity (out of sight and sound) of the playing area
immediately and are prohibited from any further contact (direct or indirect) with the team
during the remainder of the game. Failure to comply with the rules of ejection may result
in the game being forfeited.

Adam Thu Dec 15, 2016 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 994954)

Double secret.

Adam Thu Dec 15, 2016 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Deal (Post 994956)
From my understanding - You report to the official book about the second technical, tell them to write down the time, quarter and score - then step back and say put 1 minute n the clock for the coach to leave the area. If they don't leave when the buzzer hits zero then the game is forfeited. Now the unwritten rule - I've been told one minute for years but can't find any time or timeline for a coach to be removed in any book. If there isn't a 'written' rule then how can we enforce when Coach Johnny gets tossed? How long do we give them?

OK, Now I'm understanding the question better.

The 1 minute is up to the discretion of the official, but it's a courtesy. Once it's clear that the coach is trying to refuse to leave, I'm simply telling him he needs to leave immediately or his team will forfeit the game. Putting a clock on it is simply a visual aid, and a line in the sand.

Sometimes standard practice doesn't get written down for a reason.

Edit to add:

This may be a local expectation. A number of practices aren't written, such as the courtesy of warning the coach when his behavior approaches sportsmanship guidelines. That's not written because often times we simply skip the courtesy warning and call the T. This is the same thing. The minute on the clock is a courtesy to give him a chance to compose himself and leave. It's not required, you could forfeit as soon as he announces that he's refusing to leave. If he's questioning the 60 second window, simply let him know you're not obligated to give him any time at all and he needs to start moving for the exit immediately.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 15, 2016 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 994954)

I'm not allowed to answer that.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 15, 2016 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 994974)
OK, Now I'm understanding the question better.

The 1 minute is up to the discretion of the official, but it's a courtesy. Once it's clear that the coach is trying to refuse to leave, I'm simply telling him he needs to leave immediately or his team will forfeit the game. Putting a clock on it is simply a visual aid, and a line in the sand.

Sometimes standard practice doesn't get written down for a reason.

It's also possible that the state / local area has some specific procedures on this (as with other game management issues)

Nevadaref Thu Dec 15, 2016 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 994961)
I'll never forfeit a game for a coach that refuses to leave. I'll do everything I can to give the ACs and game management a chance to get him out. If nothing else works, I'm suspending the game and letting the state sort it out.

I will. The rules state to do so when a coach fails to comply with the penalty for technical fouls, of which ejection from the game is one when the proper number of technical fouls have been assessed.

Immediately does not mean one minute. It is much quicker than that.

APG Fri Dec 16, 2016 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 994982)
I will. The rules state to do so when a coach fails to comply with the penalty for technical fouls, of which ejection from the game is one when the proper number of technical fouls have been assessed.

Immediately does not mean one minute. It is much quicker than that.

Immediate is how long in your books?

As far as forfeit vs suspension...in a scholastic setting I will always advise to another official to suspend...there is literally no negatives in doing so as the governing body can always go back and forfeit the game.

On the contrary a governing body can decide that one minute should have been given that goes contrary with the thinking that "it is much quicker than that."