The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Rules Question from new official

This is my first year officiating basketball and I have what i believe is a pretty basic question about backcourt violations. The other night while officiating a game, I had to backcourt situations arise in which I didn't believe they were backcourt. However, from the lead position both times my partner called the violation.

Situation 1: A1 has a throw-in from the frontcourt at the end-line. A2 touches in the frontcourt, but never gains possession. Finally, A2 is able to gain possession in the backcourt and lead calls violation. Since I'm new I really don't mind people stepping in my area if I miss something. However, please correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't A have to gain full possession before a violation can be called? A touch is not considered possession.

Situation 2: A1 passes to A2. A2 misses the pass and the ball bounces in the front court. A2 chases ball jumps from the frontcourt to backcourt, while in the air catches ball throws to another teammate in the frontcourt. A2 never lands in the backcourt with possession. Again, from lead position partner called backcourt violation. My perception is that since he never landed in the backcourt with possession and the ball never touched in the back-court there is no violation.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. You were right, this is not a violation. I'm guessing your partner doesn't understand the rule, and doesn't understand that TC during a throw-in only applies to fouls and whether FTs are taken.
2. You were right, once the ball gained FC status it never went into the BC. This is not a violation. I'm guessing your partner saw this play completely wrong and thought A2 landed in the BC before throwing the pass to his teammate.

Your primary lesson here is never, ever, ever, make this call from lead. You'll be wrong more than you're right.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

The way you have described it your partner was wrong in both. Your comments about possession etc tell me you know rules. Read them and case book over and over. The doubt about whether you are right or not will leave. And you can say there was no team control INBOUNDS in FC in Sit one so no no violation.

In two tell him he jumped from FC, caught ball and threw it to another player in FC. Ball location rules say ball never went into BC after being in FC.

The more you read the more you will know and the more you will have confidence to tell him to worry about his business not yours.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

good calls.
hopefully your partner wasn't a veteran!

seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and even though 100% correct, still had the open mindedness to post on here and confirm that you were correct.
an important part going forward would be making sure that this is addressed with your partner. while it doesn't have to be from you, you should bring it to the attention of your chapter president or rule interp...or even casually ask to go over BC violations and 2-man PCA's in one of your meetings. generalizing the subjects won't pinpoint their mistake, but help them learn FFR.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 05:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The first situation may be yet another example of the problem with the way the rule is currently written vs the way it was intended by the committee.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Is NBA and FIBA different on throw in ?

FIBA official Interpretations

Quote:
17-26 Example: A1 is awarded a throw-in at the sideline close to the centre line
(a) in his backcourt, entitled to pass the ball at any place into the playing court
(b) in his frontcourt, entitled to pass the ball only into his frontcourt
(c) at the beginning of the 2nd period, from the centre line extended, opposite the scorer’s table, entitled to pass the ball at any place into the playing court
Old Wed Dec 14, 2016, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeOnRef View Post
This is my first year officiating basketball and I have what i believe is a pretty basic question about backcourt violations. The other night while officiating a game, I had to backcourt situations arise in which I didn't believe they were backcourt. However, from the lead position both times my partner called the violation.

Situation 1: A1 has a throw-in from the frontcourt at the end-line. A2 touches in the frontcourt, but never gains possession. Finally, A2 is able to gain possession in the backcourt and lead calls violation. Since I'm new I really don't mind people stepping in my area if I miss something. However, please correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't A have to gain full possession before a violation can be called? A touch is not considered possession.

Situation 2: A1 passes to A2. A2 misses the pass and the ball bounces in the front court. A2 chases ball jumps from the frontcourt to backcourt, while in the air catches ball throws to another teammate in the frontcourt. A2 never lands in the backcourt with possession. Again, from lead position partner called backcourt violation. My perception is that since he never landed in the backcourt with possession and the ball never touched in the back-court there is no violation.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
The NFHS clarified the issue with your first question through a Point of Emphasis at the beginning of the 2014-15 season. Here is a link and the relevant text. Make special note of the final sentence.

http://dev.nfhs.org/articles/basketb...hasis-2014-15/

From NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis 2014-15:
4. Team Control Status During Throw in; Team Control Status Inbounds - Since a 2011-12 rule change, team control exists during a throw in when the thrower in has the ball at her/his disposal. The change was made ONLY to eliminate the penalty of administering free throw(s) when a teammate of the thrower in commits a common foul during the throw in. The change made the penalty consistent with the penalty for other team control fouls. The penalty now is the awarding of a throw in to the opposing team at the spot out-of-bounds nearest to where the foul occurred. NOTE: Team control during a throw in is not intended to be equated to player control status inbounds which creates team control status inbounds. During the throw in 10-seconds 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc are not factors as there has yet to be player control/team control status obtained inbounds.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soadyp View Post
FIBA official Interpretations
NBA:

A team is not allowed to throw the ball into the backcourt from a throw-in. The exception to this rule is in the final two minutes of the 4th quarter/OT. Team A may throw it into the backcourt. Also a muff/mishandling of a pass to a player in the frontcourt where the ball subsequently goes into the backcourt is a violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Your primary lesson here is never, ever, ever, make this call from lead. You'll be wrong more than you're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The more you read the more you will know and the more you will have confidence to tell him to worry about his business not yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
good calls.
hopefully your partner wasn't a veteran!
1) Did you go to your partner during the game and ask, "What did you see?" These verge on "rules" issues and not "judgment" issues

2) If not (and I would guess not), what did your partner say after the game both about calling in your area and about the rules / judgment on the play?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded. Definitely learned how to handle this situation if it arises again, and not to doubt myself on calls if I know I'm right and it's in my area.

Looking forward to learning more from all the experience in this forum.