The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2016, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

IAABO Sportline - End of Quarter

This is a piece of an article posted on IAABO's website:

There is an excellent case book play, 5.6.2 Situation C which covers it.
The ball is in flight during a try by A1 when the horn sounds. The ball enters the basket making the score (a) A-60, B-60 or (b) A-61, B-60. Clearly after the ball becomes dead, A2 contacts B1, a dead ball technical. Let’s look at (b) first. Since the free throws could impact the outcome, we will put Team B on the line for 2 free throws. If neither or both free throws are made, then the game ends. If only one is made, then an extra period is necessary and it will be started with a jump ball. In this case, the division line throw in part of the penalty is not carried over to the extra period.
Now in (a), the fourth quarter is deemed to have ended with the score tied and in this situation, the penalty for the dead ball technical carries over into the extra period. The extra period would start with Team B taking the 2 free throws and then getting the ball at the division line for a throw-in. Set the arrow towards Team A’s basket once the ball is at the disposal of Team B’s thrower and away we go.

I am not questioning the rule as its written today because the quarter has truly ended, but this seems like an area where the application of the penalty is not alignment with the spirit of the game. Without turning this into a Monty Python type question, it seems like Team A benefits from the tie game in terms of opportunity to win more than Team B.

Thoughts?

You can read the full article here: http://iaabo.org/Sportorials/Novembe...Sportorial.pdf
Old Wed Dec 07, 2016, 04:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
This is a piece of an article posted on IAABO's website:

There is an excellent case book play, 5.6.2 Situation C which covers it.
The ball is in flight during a try by A1 when the horn sounds. The ball enters the basket making the score (a) A-60, B-60 or (b) A-61, B-60. Clearly after the ball becomes dead, A2 contacts B1, a dead ball technical. Let’s look at (b) first. Since the free throws could impact the outcome, we will put Team B on the line for 2 free throws. If neither or both free throws are made, then the game ends. If only one is made, then an extra period is necessary and it will be started with a jump ball. In this case, the division line throw in part of the penalty is not carried over to the extra period.
Now in (a), the fourth quarter is deemed to have ended with the score tied and in this situation, the penalty for the dead ball technical carries over into the extra period. The extra period would start with Team B taking the 2 free throws and then getting the ball at the division line for a throw-in. Set the arrow towards Team A’s basket once the ball is at the disposal of Team B’s thrower and away we go.

I am not questioning the rule as its written today because the quarter has truly ended, but this seems like an area where the application of the penalty is not alignment with the spirit of the game. Without turning this into a Monty Python type question, it seems like Team A benefits from the tie game in terms of opportunity to win more than Team B.

Thoughts?

You can read the full article here: http://iaabo.org/Sportorials/Novembe...Sportorial.pdf

What would you like to the rule to be? I think the rule is as consistent as possible under the circumstances.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 07, 2016, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Read the case book play again - just the play, not the solution.

What does it not say?
Old Thu Dec 08, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've thought about this conundrum myself. I'm reasonably convinced that the ruling is written the way it is so that an impactful penalty would be levied on Team A/A2. Are the two situations imbalanced? Yes. But what's more important is ensuring that A2 is penalized if the outcome of the game could change. It discourages post-game idiocy.

About the only way I could think to balance things out would be to go to overtime if the first FT is successful, and then start OT with the second FT and ball at division line. But this would run contrary to the rule that no penalty (except correction of a CE) shall carry over from one period to another.

Now....is this ever going to happen in a game I'm on? Probably not.